Recovery chain? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Recovery chain?

I've got a winch with synth line and a safety thimble on the end. Works great connecting to my shackles, and with my shackles I can connect to my tree saver or to another Jeep's d-ring points.

But for recovering other vehicles it seems like I need a chain+hook or something?

Wrapping my tree saver around part of their frame doesn't seem to make sense, because the saver is really long so I'd end up 5-10 feet further back then really necessary. Looping my snatch strap around would also be a no-go since you don't hook those to a winch.

I was thinking some little 2-3 foot long chain with a ring on one side for a shackle and a hook on the other side (the kind that loops back over a link) would work? The only chains I can find are long and have hooks on both ends...

Zombie Killer - 2010 Unlimited - Dark Charcoal Pearl
Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Owner: TWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-caiver View Post
I've got a winch with synth line and a safety thimble on the end. Works great connecting to my shackles, and with my shackles I can connect to my tree saver or to another Jeep's d-ring points.

But for recovering other vehicles it seems like I need a chain+hook or something?

Wrapping my tree saver around part of their frame doesn't seem to make sense, because the saver is really long so I'd end up 5-10 feet further back then really necessary. Looping my snatch strap around would also be a no-go since you don't hook those to a winch.

I was thinking some little 2-3 foot long chain with a ring on one side for a shackle and a hook on the other side (the kind that loops back over a link) would work? The only chains I can find are long and have hooks on both ends...
A big thumbs down on the chain. BAD idea. I keep an extra rubber floor mat around. I put it over my winch cable. If it goes the floormat will keep the metal hook from slingshoting thru the windshield. Chain is all around a bad idea. I use the snot out of my purple tree savers. I get them at harbor freight. The call them a "sling" for lifting things up. I've pulled a lot of motors out of the back of my truck with my tractor, mosted axles all kinds of stuff with them. After 2 years I get another one. Do youself a favor and forget about the chain idea. I pull with a "jerk strap" uch safer than a chain. Around the farm we use a chain and it isn't safe but most of the time we are in a tractor cab that is much higher than where we are tied on. Straps good. Chains bad....

TWF Double Beadlock wheels, Pitbull Tires Vendor, Raceline Wheels Vendor, Marsh Racing Wheels Vendor, Poison Spyder Vendor, Custom Splice Winch Rope Vendor, Cheap LED Light Bars
post #3 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 YJ View Post
A big thumbs down on the chain. BAD idea. I keep an extra rubber floor mat around. I put it over my winch cable. If it goes the floormat will keep the metal hook from slingshoting thru the windshield. Chain is all around a bad idea. I use the snot out of my purple tree savers. I get them at harbor freight. The call them a "sling" for lifting things up. I've pulled a lot of motors out of the back of my truck with my tractor, mosted axles all kinds of stuff with them. After 2 years I get another one. Do youself a favor and forget about the chain idea. I pull with a "jerk strap" uch safer than a chain. Around the farm we use a chain and it isn't safe but most of the time we are in a tractor cab that is much higher than where we are tied on. Straps good. Chains bad....
Put your hood up when you're winching too!

Buy some 70 grade boron treated steel chain, 1/2", and put a hook and shackle on the ends.

Either that or remove one of the choker chain's hooks and put a shackle on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 YJ View Post
Yea, I get that chains can snap and fly through the air. That's why I'm trying to keep it to the minimum size required to wrap around some arbitrary part of another vehicle's frame. Wrapping my tree saver around random bits of metal and weird angles underneath someone's stuck vehicle seems like a great way to rip the strap and accomplish nothing.

Follow my build
or check out my

post #5 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Buy some 70 grade boron treated steel chain, 1/2", and put a hook and shackle on the ends.
Hmm, now that I think about it, I think the local big-box home stores custom-cut chain lengths.

Follow my build
or check out my

post #6 of 18 Old 11-22-2010, 06:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Give Master Pull a call or shoot them an email, let them know what exactly your issue is. They might be able to fashion up a custom application for you.

http://www.masterpull.com/contact.cfm

/

post #7 of 18 Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like to use my tree strap for this application. Mine is 30K strength and short enough to do the job well. I know what you mean about hooking up under someone's vehicle and I have made sure I'm hooked up to something that can take the pull. If you still want a chain then you need the right kind. Use one that is rated for overhead 80 and the right size. This will give you the security you want.
Chain info here: http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/aboutgrading.htm
post #8 of 18 Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Wheeler

My four wheel club requires tow hooks if you want to run with them. Not having tow hooks is just stupid and dangerous for you and for the guy trying to pull you out.

They make 6ft tree straps, thats a much better idea than a short chunk of chain.

As others have said if your going to use chain get one rated for what your doing, don't go to the local farm supply store and buy a hunk of generic chain. Even cheap chain is likely going to cost you more than a quality short strap will.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
My four wheel club requires tow hooks if you want to run with them. Not having tow hooks is just stupid and dangerous for you and for the guy trying to pull you out.

They make 6ft tree straps, thats a much better idea than a short chunk of chain.

As others have said if your going to use chain get one rated for what your doing, don't go to the local farm supply store and buy a hunk of generic chain. Even cheap chain is likely going to cost you more than a quality short strap will.
Everything I was going to say.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks everyone.

BTW: I've got shackles and straps and synth line to be safe. Connecting to another Jeep on the trail is trivial.

Rescuing an arbitrary car from a snowy ditch on my way home from work is a different matter. It wouldn't be very nice of me to say "sorry, you have no exposed tow hooks or d-rings, I'm not going to help"

Follow my build
or check out my

post #11 of 18 Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-caiver View Post
Thanks everyone.

BTW: I've got shackles and straps and synth line to be safe. Connecting to another Jeep on the trail is trivial.

Rescuing an arbitrary car from a snowy ditch on my way home from work is a different matter. It wouldn't be very nice of me to say "sorry, you have no exposed tow hooks or d-rings, I'm not going to help"
Guess what I would recommend is that you carry an extra strap and sell that to the person you are going to rescue. Then use his strap for the rescue.

2008 JK Rubicon
86ish Formula Toyota
post #12 of 18 Old 11-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Rock God

Yup, I got that. Pick up the Highgrade 1.5" link chain a the industrial hardware place. They sell it by the foot. A grab hook on one end (the kind that is designed to hook back onto the links of the chain) and a shackle on the other. Trick is to attach it to the other vehicle properly and tightly so there is no slack. "Done properly" you can use a snatch strap very safely to recover a vehicle from the ditch. BTW this safer then trying to attach a snatch strap to a vehicle that doesn't have proper tow points. Snatch straps fray and break when they come in contact with sharp body metal edges.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 11-22-2010 at 06:18 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Rock God

I have a short piece of cable that has loops on both ends. Not sure where I got it but im sure some kind of rigging place could set one up for you. Works great in places where you dont want to tear up a tree saver.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 05:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Harbor freight tree saver. 10 bucks or so if i remember correctly and 6' long. perfect.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #15 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

each link in a chain is a potential failure point, I just don't trust them
post #16 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Wheeler

I have been in the towing industry for 15 plus years now and chains are a great tool when used correctly. Like previously mentioned quality chain is important and knowing how to use it is even more important. While straps are great and tend not to damage as much when they fail or are used incorrectly they can be cut. I think a small piece of chain works wonders to make a quality attachment point on a vehicle and can be just as strong if not stronger than the small factory attachment points on most newer unibody vehicles. Just be careful because attaching to suspension on any newer crapbox unibody car will just cause almost instant damage and often this is the only thing easily available as an attachment point.

If you want to see some equipment to make this type of recovery easier check out www.awdirect.com

They sell nothing but towing and recovery equipment, straps, J-hooks, lockout kits, etc.

2010 Black 2-dr. Rubicon
2.5" TF
35s
winch
stuff
post #17 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
each link in a chain is a potential failure point, I just don't trust them
Yes, but every inch, every fray, and every stitch, in a nylon strap is also a potential failure point. Believe me, if Highgrade chain cannot be cut with large bolt cutters you certainly won't break it pulling a car out of the ditch.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Rock God

Garage
Question Chain

Hmm My Winch Kit came with a section of chain in the bottom of the bag. I only use it if there is no way to connect to a vehicle with out damaging my equipment. It is one of the reasons why most runs require good tow points front and rear. Chains are just not very safe!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode