Hunters - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Hunters

I really don't have a designated area to off road (I'm south of Buffalo, NY) so I returned to where I grew up in North Boston, NY.
So where there used to be fields of mud to play in there are now 50 foot tall trees, which leads me to believe I am getting old. Anyway, I'm driving through a small quad trail and I pass a hunter in bright orange in a tree stand. I lowered my window and said, "Sorry" but he was pissed!

Any other proper etiquette I should be using in this situation?
Part of me is like, you know, I didn't mean to spook your possible prey, it's not like I drove through the woods randomly to piss you off, part of me is like f*ck you dude, and part of me thinks my Kimber .45 is outmatched by someone on higher ground with a rifle .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Granite Guru

Fuck'em, if it's not private property than it's anyones game. Simple.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Wheeler

He shouldn't have put the stand right on the trail. I don't know what he expected when he sat in a tree next to the trial on public(?) property, he should have known someone was probably going to end up on that trail eventually. You probably shouldn't have stopped to say sorry and kept going too, you're already making enough noise just driving in the jeep. But really he'll just have to get over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
He shouldn't have put the stand right on the trail. I don't know what he expected when he sat in a tree next to the trial on public(?) property, he should have known someone was probably going to end up on that trail eventually. You probably shouldn't have stopped to say sorry and kept going too, you're already making enough noise just driving in the jeep. But really he'll just have to get over it.
X2. Who the hell sets up a stand beside a vehicle trail?

You should have started waving excitedly at him and honking your horn.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 13 Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 AM
JPK
Rock God

Unless poachers are shooting deer from vehicles, a passing car, truck or Jeep won't bother them. You know poachers have been around when deer run from vehicles. But stopping and loitering too long will spook deer in sight.

A loud two-stroke ATV will spook them. I think because most users are on and off the throttle and the change is what sppoks the deer.

You probably drove right by the guys own (camo) ATV btw.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Granite Guru

Having spent many a morining and evening in a tree stand, I have witnessed how easily deer are spooked. And how after the noisemaker has passed they soon return to resume their normal behavior. Of course my stand was never set up right on a vehicle trail! We scout several times over the summer to find game trails and food sources. Then one day as you wait patiently for the deer to step into range... putt-putt-putt-putt... there goes another "hunter" passing nearby on his ATV to God knows where or for why 'cuz he obviously ain't worried about noise or scent control. Seems like there some out there just to drink and play on their ATVs with a rifle strapped on it just in case they happen to see a deer... And if I had climbed down in the first 15 minutes I could have walked away pissed. But patience pays off. Do they always come back? Of course not. But if you're set up correctly, good chance they will. Now there have been a few instances when I've been late and set up along a vehicle trail just to get in some hunting by blending into the scrub oaks, and had remarkable good luck. But if a vehicle then came past, I sure can't be that mad at the guy driving when the deer jump back into the woods. Well I can, because he should know when to stop driving around near the most likely times deer tend to be on the move, but mainly I'd be mad at myself for being late and/or lazy in the first place and placing myself in that position.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
post #7 of 13 Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Rock God

rcul8r has it right! I've also spent a ton of time in a deer stand. In fact I'm in my stand now (slow morning). Anyways!
If the guy didn't want to be disturbed while hunting, why in the hell would he put his stand right next to a public trail?!?! Next: If he was that serious about hunting, he should go find some private land that's managed.

It sounds like you just happened upon an asshole! Don't worry about it.

BTW...... You did the right thing by apologizing. For me, I would have been more pissed I'd you didn't say a word. :-)

ADD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I agree with all that was said. I'm a hunter and I hunt public land too. That guy was just an idiot for hunting the road. If it was a four wheeler trail to a hunting spot he should have parked his wheeler in the middle of the trail and if you went around it then it would be on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Gotta love neighborhood kids who dig your junk. I always wanted some of those but I haven't been so lucky.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

OK, thanks. I don't hunt, and I haven't gone off roading in a long time. So I just didn't know if I did something wrong.
This land is that of an old farmer and he used to chase us off of it with his gun in his hands. "You damn kids!" HAHA. Whether it has changed hands or not I'm not sure. But its one of the only places I could think of to go. Anyway, if it had been his land I'm sure he would have mentioned it.
And I passed his quad after I passed him. Like I said, I don't hunt, but I would think you would want to keep your gasoline vehicle a little farther away than he had it. So I guess the jist of it is fuck him. I do what I want!
post #10 of 13 Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

...and this is what he saw passing him:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40690
post #11 of 13 Old 11-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by angercrown View Post
OK, thanks. I don't hunt, and I haven't gone off roading in a long time. So I just didn't know if I did something wrong.
This land is that of an old farmer and he used to chase us off of it with his gun in his hands. "You damn kids!" HAHA. Whether it has changed hands or not I'm not sure. But its one of the only places I could think of to go. Anyway, if it had been his land I'm sure he would have mentioned it.
And I passed his quad after I passed him. Like I said, I don't hunt, but I would think you would want to keep your gasoline vehicle a little farther away than he had it. So I guess the jist of it is fuck him. I do what I want!
Apparently it wasn't a public trail and the hunter knows deer travel the trail or cross it near where he was set up.
With that being said you had NO right to be there without the landowners permission. So you were in the wrong by your own admission not knowing who owned the land. The hunter had every right to be pissed. The jist is back at you. doing what you want is the wrong attitude. That's what ruins it for those that take time to ask permission before we trespass on someone else's property. He didn't want you there as kids why would he want you there now.

Last edited by volcycle; 11-24-2010 at 07:31 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angercrown View Post
You just don't get it...

There are so many issues here but start with these...

Tread lightly and some land use rules!!!

RENEGADE
post #13 of 13 Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Rock God

Agreed. If you were on private land there are quite a few issues with what happened. If it was public, have fun and use common sense.

ADD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode