4 door is very tempting!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

4 door is very tempting!!

I have been thinking hard about a 4 door. Love my LJ but starting a family soon so thinking room and kids and, room. There is more room in a 4 door with the seats in then there is with no seat in my LJ. PLus driving a new vehicle with all the cool electronics is very nice. Took one for a 45 minute test drive today..... so tempting, took out a Mango Tango loaded Rubi with the leather interior. The hardest part is going from no payments to a huge payment for a few years.

The hardest part is I have prepped for Dynatracs, and atlas with 40s on the LJ, but if I went 4 door, that wouldnt happen. Those that get to DD the 4 doors,I have to admit the creature comforts are a refreshing change Oh Decisions Decisions. I am thinking waiting on the new engine for 2012 might be worth the wait. Decisions Decisions :0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 PM

I really thought I wanted the 2door but I was pressured into a 4 door. Thank goodness, I love this thing. The 4 doors truly ROCK!
post #3 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 05:27 PM
JKO Addict!

it's going to be a far cry from your LJ if you plan on taking it off road. If you don't, then I wouldn't buy one. I sometimes wish I had a 4 door, but I'd have more money invested in it than I really care to so I feel I am still better off. They do well, usually take more money thrown at them to get the same results as some 2drs (depends on the obstacle)..but I do like having a 'true' 2dr Wrangler.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 05:30 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

\how much are they asking for the Mango Tango loaded Rubi. If it's brand new under 30,000 on end of year go for it! I wouldn't hold my breath on possible 2012 engine changeout.

And yes, the creature comforts are great for a DD!

U.S. Army
post #5 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Granite Guru

Choices

We run a Tj and a JKu.

The JKu is AWSOME! TJ is quite capable but the JKu is a set of stairs above.

The only challenges i have had where the TJ did not was tight turn trails. I mean tight turns and a few narrow trails with some switch backs. Other than that i made my own trail that was just as fun.

Our JKu is set up with a third row so our fam of 6 is quite comfortable.
post #6 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Rock God

Had an 07 Rubi and now have a 10 4 dr X. I miss the 2 dr alot but would not go back.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #7 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Rock God

Like I just wrote in another post...I have friends and family with CJ's, YJ's, XJ's and an LJ and my JK gets the most average daily miles out of all of them.

It's my wife, 3 kids (14, 11 & 7) and I and we fit in it just fine. I've taken them wheelin on the beach and in the trails, cruised main street on warm summer nights with the top and doors off and everyone's having a blast.

If your family hasn't started yet, you do have some time. These are good decisions to have!

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #8 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Full Loaded is 39k. I would bring them down around 30 for it. Just really not sure I want to deal with payments again. Even if it is for less then 2 years, its still annoying.
post #9 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 09:08 PM

I sold my TJ to get my 4 door and LOVE it.. 2 car seats plus 8YO in the back. It is a daily driver and not much left stock.

07 Rubicon Unlimited Dual Tops/My Gig
6.1L SRT8/Auto
RE 4.5" Long Arm
AEV 17" Pro Comps 37" Xtreme's
5.13 Gears
Mopar Front/Rear Bumpers
TrailMax Rear DVD
post #10 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Granite Guru

I've never owned a Jeep prior to my 4 door.

Perfect for me and my three sons to load up enough stuff for a weekend of camping without having to toss on a trailer or roof rack.
post #11 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Rock God

keep the LJ and buy the 4d.... just a thought

In 2009 a crack commando wheelin' unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the South Florida underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as wheelers of fortune. If you have a problem. If no one else can help. And if you can find them. Maybe you can wheel with The 50/50 Off-Road Team.
post #12 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rambo I am thinking about doing that too. I just know I would want to make the 4 door a beast. I love them on 40s
post #13 of 38 Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Granite Guru

I have the 4 door on 35's, I love it. I think it's the perfect combo for family DD and wheeling. I'm sure the 2 door is more capable, but if you've got kids, you can't beat it.

2010 Unlimited, 3.25" Rough Country, Mickey Thompson 35's, Pro-Comp wheels,ACE front bumper & rock rails, Bushwacker flat fenders. Smitty xrc8000 winch, ARB OBA, Ready for my next upgrade....
post #14 of 38 Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath on possible 2012 engine changeout.
Does nobody here know that the new engine was officially announced??
post #15 of 38 Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 AM
JKO Addict!

My jku had more room than our wk! I justed hated wheeling something I owed so much on...

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #16 of 38 Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have owned a 2dr JK and the 4dr. Love them both but I wouldn't trade back to the 2dr. The room is amazing and taking others along is so much better in the 4dr. You won't regret the more doors Unlimited.
post #17 of 38 Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

Definitely a fan of the four door, just not a fan of car payments, especially if you're driving something that's paid for already.

If you aren't in a rush and are willing to wait for the 2012's to come out, do yourself a favor - pretend you bought one and start making the "car payment" to your savings account. When the 2012's come out, you'll have an extra $5k saved up. That, plus whatever you sell your LJ for gets you that much closer to your goal.

You won't be disappointed with the 4 door, and having it paid for makes it that much sweeter.
post #18 of 38 Old 11-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Granite Guru

love the 4 door. Once had a XJ and I missed it. The liberty just didn't meet our needs so we passed on it this year too. Our new JKU fits me my wife 2 kids in car seats and the King Shepherd and gear.

2010 Sahara Unlimited. 33" Goodyear Duratracs, MOPAR Grab Handles front and Rugged ridge in back, SilverStar Platinum Head Lights, Gorilla Pod Video Camera Mount System,Kargo Master Kongo Cage,50" light bar, Rear tail light guards, gas cap cover locking, Smittybilt Jerry Can Holder, with Scepter military can, chopped stubby bumper... assorted decals . Other factory options.
post #19 of 38 Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Corners View Post
I did not know they still made a 2 door JK,????
Yes, it is called a real Jeep

I can understand why people with a family get a 4D though. It allows toting all of the rug monsters around and still able to have an off-road vehicle. I don't have any rug monsters and love the 2D and rarely have the back seat in it. My wife has a nice 4D car if we need to take anyone with us.

If you get a 4D, plan on a lift, 35's, and a regear. Otherwise, IMO, they look stupid. I don't really have complaints about the DD drive-ability of my 2D and 6sp, but I think based on what I hear from 4D owners and knowing the extra weight, I don't think you'll be happy with the power of the 4D. Especially coming out of 4.0L.

Good luck with the decision!

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #20 of 38 Old 11-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned

I went from a 2 Dr JK to a 4 Dr, and will never go back, well my wife wants a 2 Door now, so maybe I will for her sake.

I have a 5 year old and with T Ball and all the shit he does, my 2 Dr was always filthy on the inside. The front seats suck when you fold them up, and there was T ball clay everywhere from him crawling all around. It's a bitch to buckle them in their car seats, plus his Jeep Hurricane power wheel fits perfectly in the 4 dr with the seats down.

I also have a dog, well more like a bear. 110 lb Chocolate Lab that like to take Jeep rides. Wife, Kid, Big Dog, and 2 door don't mix well. She (the dog) rides in the back. I just got me some SAFARI STRAPS and can't wait to cruze around with the top off and everyone secure.

I am keeping the JKU, and once the wifes lease is up on her car, we will be getting a 2Dr as well (2012).

Last edited by jkristie44; 11-22-2010 at 07:26 AM.
post #21 of 38 Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbs View Post
Does nobody here know that the new engine was officially announced??
Yeah....we all know it. But just like the tranny overheating issue on 2007,2008, 2009 and now 2010 models that Jeep hasn't corrected, they also know that Jeep owners would like a better motor than a 3.8L van engine. Doesn't mean that they are going to get that right anytime sooner when they can't get a 4 year tranny oil overheating issue resolved.

Just my .02!

U.S. Army
post #22 of 38 Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Granite Guru

As somebody that has two kids, you are going to hate life with any two door vehicle if you have to haul them around everyday. Once they get to 3 or 4 it's not as big of a deal, but the first year with rear facing seats it's a major PITA. The initial car carriers are ok to snap in and out but both my kids outgrew those before 6 months (son outgrew it at 4 months) so having a full sized rear facing car seat and trying to put kids in and out of it with dour doors is enough work, two doors would suck. UNLESS it's not an LJ and you cna just open the back window and put the kid in that way, in that case it's not too terrible, but an LJ is about the worst for a rear facing seat. Front facing it's doable.

Now if the kids won't be in it very often then it's a non issue.
post #23 of 38 Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxx View Post
As somebody that has two kids, you are going to hate life with any two door vehicle if you have to haul them around everyday. Once they get to 3 or 4 it's not as big of a deal, but the first year with rear facing seats it's a major PITA.
Even when it's not the rear facing seat, when you physically have to reach back there and do their seat belts because they can't do it themselves any 2 door vehicle is a hassle.

That's why I have a JK now instead of my old TJ. It was a 2000, I had it since 2004 and thought I would never get rid of it... until we ended up with 3 kids all in car seats at the same time.

Out with the TJ, in with the 4 door. Ultimately I'm glad though, as much as I loved that TJ the JK is a superior vehicle in every aspect.
post #24 of 38 Old 11-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Squirrel Killer

4Dr all the way. The room, interior hauling capability, seating and etc are all well worth it. GO for it and you wont be disappointed.

2013 Commando Green Sport S
TF 2.5", RK Control Arms, Gobi Stealth Rack, Level 8 Tracker Pro on 35's, TruckLite LEDs, TrailDash
-Sean
post #25 of 38 Old 11-24-2010, 03:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

I would wait for the new engine before even considering an Unlimited.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode