Can't Back up a Trailer - Help! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Can't Back up a Trailer - Help!

I have a hell of a time trying to back up my utility trailer with my jeep!! Can I get a trailer hitch on the front bumper to push it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 01:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Why cant you back it up?
Practice makes perfect.....

Mount a flag or something on it if not being able to see it is the problem...

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #3 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Rock God

Yeah, watching my wife try to back up a trailer is good for a beer and a laugh! (quietly, behind her back, or she'd kick my ass!) I tell her "Just remember to steer away from where the trailer should go" but it's counter intuitive for her.

Davesrb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

how long is it? remember the smaller the trailer the smaller the movement on the steering you need.

im the only one out of all my friends that knows how to drive with/back a trailer. ive been backing trailers at the boat ramp with dad since i was about 8.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #5 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Why cant you back it up?
Practice makes perfect.....

Mount a flag or something on it if not being able to see it is the problem...
Yeah practice makes perfect!

~ Clam
post #6 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Granite Guru

I have a short trailer as well, and backing up the first few times was really embarrassing..... just go slow and turn slowly. If you start to turn too much in the wrong direction, pull forward a bit to straighten out and try again.

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've had my commercial license for 18 years now, and still find truck drivers who can't back up their trailer. When I first was learning to improve my skills I would take some cones in a parking lot and practice parallel parking with a 28' trailer. I would recommend just practicing somewhere you can't damage anything and keep your turns small. Biggest mistake people make are over steering and not having a plan before backing. Good luck
post #8 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

go slow and dont over correct. x3 on the smaller it is, the harder its gonna be to get where you want it. I did grounds keeping at boarding school and drove a tractor with about a 6' trailer. that was interesting at 15 yrs old, but taught me how to back a trailer up, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Rock God

Hold the bottom the steering wheel. From there if you want it to go right steer right, go slow with small steering adjustements.
post #10 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

yes, someone does make a front receiver. I have one on mine. i do not remember where it cam from. i bought it off ebay about three years back.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #11 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 03:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yea I hate backing up trailers too, I always get at least one clown that likes to see if I'll flip it over......

Seriously, it really does just take practice and even still every once in awhile you get a stray turn and have to look stupid, fortunately I just claim to be stupid before I even get started.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

post #12 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 05:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Practice, Practice, Practice.

And, the smaller trailers are harder then the bigger ones. My Harley trailer was more difficult to back into the back yard then Hitmoney's 32 foot car hauler that we took to Moab.

That is, until, I backed over the tree in the Waffle House parking lot!
post #13 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

if u have a steel bumper just weld a receiver under it!
post #14 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
Nice trailer... hopefully mine will look as nice once I've fixed her up.

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
post #15 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
Nice trailer... hopefully mine will look as nice once I've fixed her up.
This one now resides in WranglerV8's garage...

/

post #16 of 30 Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Rock God

I have one on mine also. It is an olympic.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #17 of 30 Old 11-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Granite Guru

Did anybody mention to Practice? a lot!!! hahaha I learned when I had my first Waverunner. Good Luck and be patience.

Gus

2008 JK Sahara 4" of lift, 2" BL, 37" M16's , rancho rear bumper, EVO C gussets and skids, PSC Evap Skid, SB Bumper w/stinger, 10000LB SB Winch, Aussie locker on front and a lot of spare axle shafts lol
CONFIDENCE is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
post #18 of 30 Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Find a large parking lot near where you live that's big enough to turn around in, etc. and empty at night.

With no one around to laugh at you, pick a space and practice trying to back the trailer into that space until you get it. It's not that hard once you get used to how the trailer moves. Pushing it from the front won't be any different than backing it up, you still have to turn the wheel the opposite way you want the trailer to go. It's just a more expensive way of making just as much work for yourself.

Also, some small utility trailers have a solid (as in one piece) axle, where the right and left tires always move at the same speed. These are always going to be harder to turn because one wheel can't stop while the other moves. It's like trying to drive on the road with a front locker engaged. The straighter the line to your parking spot the better.

Last edited by Ron R; 11-22-2010 at 06:47 AM.
post #19 of 30 Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Rock God

etrailer.com sells the front hitch for the JK, $149.95

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #20 of 30 Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Granite Guru

also when backing up, use your side mirrors as your guide, don't turn around. By doing this you can do two things,

Use the side of your jeep as a line to judge your trailer by, you should be able to see straight down the both of them and back straight up.

When sitting normal and using the mirror then your mind isn't tricked on which way to turn the wheel and it is a good way to get some confidence in backing up.

Also, it's important to go slow and don't oversteer
post #21 of 30 Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Granite Guru

I have a long trailer, and I find it very easy to back it up....first time every time. You can see every adjustment happen easily.

I also have a very short utility trailer...and I find it extremely difficuly to back it up...takes me 10 tries every time. It has a mind of it's own. It seems to be backing up straight, and all of a sudden it is shooting off at an angle.

G
post #22 of 30 Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 AM
JKO Addict!

I had a 8 foot utility trailer for my dirt bike. It was a bitch to back up, especially at the track when people were zipping in and out and lots people standing around to watch me. I wound up getting the hang of it but it is tricky when you get tripped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #23 of 30 Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
I had a 8 foot utility trailer for my dirt bike. It was a bitch to back up, especially at the track when people were zipping in and out and lots people standing around to watch me. I wound up getting the hang of it but it is tricky when you get tripped up.
..I know what you mean...the majority of my practice came from pulling a 20 foot dovetail with a 40' RV ...I got real good after learning how the camera distorts what is really happening.

/

post #24 of 30 Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 PM
VKS Fab

An easy thing to remember is to hold your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Move your hand to the left, the trailer goes left. Move your hand to the right, the trailer goes right. Its an easy way for a beginner to get used to it. When I got my class A a couple years ago one of the instructors used this to teach some of the unexperienced trailer backer upers.

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #25 of 30 Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Use a 4dr JK to back up a stubby little M416 (that is completely invisible in the mirrors except when it decides to really take a walk) for awhile and you'll get to where a "normal" trailer annoys you because it takes so long to respond!

like theses guys said, find an open parking lot and pick a parking spot and practice getting it in there - a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode