Next Upgrade? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Next Upgrade?

Ok so I got some good news this week, that I'm gonna be getting more of a bonus than i thought and I'll be getting part of my bonus next week. I'm hoping I'll have about $2500 to spend on the jeep between my bonus and what i have saved, so I'm just trying to get some input on what you guys think I should get next. I was kinda leaning toward either lockers and a re-gear to 4.88's or a new rear axle assembly if i can find a good enough deal with an ARB and the gears i want (keep in mind that i have to re-gear the front too). Any recommendations on which i should do? Or possibly other upgrade ideas??? I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: I forgot to mention, that if I do a whole rear axle assembly, i can install it myself and thus save the cost install for a rear locker as it will already be in the axle.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Topgun863; 11-20-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Rock God

If your considering a whole axle upgrade i would upgrade the front d30 before the rear, the d30 is the weaker of the two axle's. or if you plan to stay between 33 to 35 inch tires then a beefed up d30 will do fine.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #3 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I actually already have a D44 in the front. I got it out of a buddy's Jeep (who ordered it with a front D44) when he replaced it with a Rubi front axle for the e-locker. I'm considering doing a rear axle first because I want lockers as i dont have any as of yet, and I need to re-gear. I can just about get a complete rear axle assembly with a locker and the gears i want and install the axle myself, for the cost of a locker and gears and the labor to install them.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

sounds like the axle is the better choice than.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #5 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Granite Guru

what axle is in the rear. I see you say you already have a 44 in the front. is this a complete 44 housing and all or the rubicon factory 44 with 30 outers? If you have 44's front and rear I would say lockers, gears. Jeep looks great by the way.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

what about RCV shafts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
sounds like the axle is the better choice than.
Yeah, thats what i was thinking. I just gotta find a good deal on one since I'm gonna be a little over budget with the R&P for the front axle and install.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #8 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdraft View Post
what axle is in the rear. I see you say you already have a 44 in the front. is this a complete 44 housing and all or the rubicon factory 44 with 30 outers? If you have 44's front and rear I would say lockers, gears. Jeep looks great by the way.
I just have a factory 44 in the rear. Well my buddy told me it was just a factory D44 font axle with 4.10's that he ordered on the Jeep when he bought it, cause his Jeep isnt a Rubicon. Unless he was mistaken and it was really just a D30. (In either case i needed the axle cause I bent an axle tube and the lower control arm bracket on mine)

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #9 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickyB View Post
what about RCV shafts?
Thats probably not a bad idea either. Any idea how much they run?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #10 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun863 View Post
Thats probably not a bad idea either. Any idea how much they run?
A little over a grand. Last set I saw was $1,038, IIRC.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Granite Guru

suppose it boils down to what you do and what you pay labor on. If you have 44's front and rear and matching gears 410, with 33 inch tires now I wouldn't worry about gears for now. I would make sure 100% what you have. 410 gears should work fine with 33'' tires IMO. If front axle is a factory 44 with 30 outers like come on my rubicon then I would sleeve & gusset it and then get locked up front and rear. Lockers made the biggest difference for me offroade even when I was stock mine would do things more built jeeps couldn't because they were only locked in one or the other or none. So again I'm not clear on exactly what you have but lockers and matching gears would be priority for me.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-21-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdraft View Post
suppose it boils down to what you do and what you pay labor on. If you have 44's front and rear and matching gears 410, with 33 inch tires now I wouldn't worry about gears for now. I would make sure 100% what you have. 410 gears should work fine with 33'' tires IMO. If front axle is a factory 44 with 30 outers like come on my rubicon then I would sleeve & gusset it and then get locked up front and rear. Lockers made the biggest difference for me offroade even when I was stock mine would do things more built jeeps couldn't because they were only locked in one or the other or none. So again I'm not clear on exactly what you have but lockers and matching gears would be priority for me.
Thanks for the input. Thats why i was going in this direction...I'll have to double check what I have in the front...I thought it was a D44...it's out of a JK and i held a D30 diff cover up to it and the diff cover was smaller so I'm assuming its a 44, but I'll double check. I'm planning on going to 35" tires and i need to do at least a rear locker for now which is why i was going to re-gear at the same time so i'm not paying for labor twice (for at least one axle) but then I started looking at the complete axle assemblies and most of them come with a choice of Locker, gussets and sleeves, better axle shafts, diff cover, and R&P all for only a couple hundred more than the cost of of a locker, install kit, R&P and install for all of that on a stock axle. The axle assembly, I am capable of installing myself so I can save the cost of labor and spend it on parts. That was just my mindset.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode