Decent fogs under $100? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Decent fogs under $100?

Losing the factory fogs with a new bumper, while they aren't the greatest anyway I do use them a lot. Anybody have a suggestion for some decent round lights for fairly cheap with a fog beam? It needs to be something that will take some abuse without the filament breaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Rock God

Typically, good lights don't come cheap.

That said, my fogs are PIAA 520's. The 510 and 540 are also nice. If you get the part # for just the lamp from the PIAA website, and skip getting their big wiring kit and all the fancy packaging, you might save some $$

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I have used the Delta 150 Series fogs for over 3 years now. They have an abs plastic housing and lens guard, wiring kit with switch and relay, and are around $100. I had "sealed" KC's that were more expensive before these and the seals became cracked and one of the lenses became fogged.

No doubt they aren't the best but they illuminate very well, and have thus far proved reliable- no fogging behind the lenses and no cracks in the lenses or housings. I also like that they have a somewhat low-profile design.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Granite Guru

I just installed Warn's new fogs. They are $119, a little over the $100 mark, but they are very bright. So far I am pleased with them. Plus they're small, I think 3.5" round.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
No doubt they aren't the best but they illuminate very well, and have thus far proved reliable- no fogging behind the lenses and no cracks in the lenses or housings. I also like that they have a somewhat low-profile design.
That's all I care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ Warrior View Post
Typically, good lights don't come cheap.

That said, my fogs are PIAA 520's. The 510 and 540 are also nice. If you get the part # for just the lamp from the PIAA website, and skip getting their big wiring kit and all the fancy packaging, you might save some $$
I don't need hard core offroad lights, heck the factory fogs work well enough for what I use them for around town in the rain and such, so I could probably get away with Walmart lights but I want something that will last. And I have wiring and relays out the you know where so I am not worried about that. I'll just slap a relay on the stock wires to control it and run new power feeds, since in my price range I'm not going to get low power LEDs or HIDs.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 02:07 PM
JKO Addict!

i ran these on my brother's JK and my JK. they have a 100% fog pattern. very similar to a stock TJ fog pattern. there's a very sharp cut off. they were excellent in heavy snow/fog. the quality is just ok, but the price is cheap.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...0&partID=12258

there are way better lights out there. but for the $ these delivered fine for 2 years.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #7 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Granite Guru

I have run the hella 500s on 3 of my jeeps and never had an issue. They are around the $70 mark.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

For the money I'm going to give these a shot:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=12347

Let me know what you pick out and I'll save you some money!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 03:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Are all these lights suggested legal to drive with 'on' like the factory fog lights? I haven't looked into the legality of having an "off-road" light operating on street conditions. I'd imagine a factory, or DOT approved light would be necessary to run on the street regularly?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Are all these lights suggested legal to drive with 'on' like the factory fog lights? I haven't looked into the legality of having an "off-road" light operating on street conditions. I'd imagine a factory, or DOT approved light would be necessary to run on the street regularly?
I figure as long as its a fog beam pattern and pointed at the road you should be fine, they let us get away with it in my neck of the woods anyway. Everywhere is different though.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #11 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
depends on local laws really.

i believe in PA you're allowed to run a fog lamp only when you have your low beams on. How ever you can have aux lights installed that can be turned on while you have the high beams on, it just cant be a fog pattern....or something like that. we have a lot of laws that don't quite make sense sometimes...
post #12 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just finished looking on ebay. I'm trying to replace my fogs that I took off 3 years ago. My problem is I want 35w that way I can just hook right back into the factory harness and not deal with relays and stuff.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I will have a set of factory fogs for sale in the coming weeks. I just got my PSC stuff today.

post #14 of 19 Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ Warrior View Post
That said, my fogs are PIAA 520's. The 510 and 540 are also nice.
PIAA does make a nice light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I have used the Delta 150 Series fogs for over 3 years now. They have an abs plastic housing and lens guard, wiring kit with switch and relay, and are around $100.
Another one to look into.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt life View Post
I just installed Warn's new fogs. They are $119, a little over the $100 mark, but they are very bright. So far I am pleased with them. Plus they're small, I think 3.5" round.
I was wondering about the warns. Do they have a nice sharp cutoff to keep them low? I like the size of them, though they are a bit more $$ than I want to spend since all I find are the wireless ones. (I haven't looked that hard yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
i ran these on my brother's JK and my JK. they have a 100% fog pattern. very similar to a stock TJ fog pattern. there's a very sharp cut off. they were excellent in heavy snow/fog. the quality is just ok, but the price is cheap.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...0&partID=12258

there are way better lights out there. but for the $ these delivered fine for 2 years.
For that price they don't have to last

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenszel View Post
I have run the hella 500s on 3 of my jeeps and never had an issue. They are around the $70 mark.
Another to look at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Let me know what you pick out and I'll save you some money!
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco08jk View Post
I figure as long as its a fog beam pattern and pointed at the road you should be fine, they let us get away with it in my neck of the woods anyway. Everywhere is different though.
Same here, you can put just about anything on the road here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
I just finished looking on ebay. I'm trying to replace my fogs that I took off 3 years ago. My problem is I want 35w that way I can just hook right back into the factory harness and not deal with relays and stuff.
You might have to go LED or HID for that.

Thanks for all the ideas!
post #15 of 19 Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
depends on local laws really.

i believe in PA you're allowed to run a fog lamp only when you have your low beams on. How ever you can have aux lights installed that can be turned on while you have the high beams on, it just cant be a fog pattern....or something like that. we have a lot of laws that don't quite make sense sometimes...
but you only get one or the other. You can only have 1 pair of uncovered aux lights at any time and they must be below the headlights.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #16 of 19 Old 11-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MannyLx450

You may also use dually Rigid Industries LED compact 2x2 package that can be used for anything. Dont worry about the abuse on this lights

CLick HERE to SEE the Lights.

Thanks

Manny

Your Rigid Industries Source

PH: 754-201-58-48
post #17 of 19 Old 11-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Wheeler

I picked up a set of these off of Amazon. They are H3 fogs from Pilot. They have an aluminum housing with a clear smooth glass lens.

I won't get a chance to do the install for 2-3 weeks, but I'll do a write-up with pictures. Needless to say, I have no comment on their performance yet, but I figured they're cheap enough to play with.

I've seen some other posts where people are wiring in a different part number 55W H3 Pilot driving light directly without freaking out the CANBus driver?

I plan on LaminX'ing them yellow.

More to follow.

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/Produ...roductID=27130

Last edited by J_Westy; 11-19-2010 at 12:32 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
FWIW i drive with my long range KCs up by the windshield turned on when I am driving very late at night on some of these GA 2 lane highways when there are hardly any cars out. i dont do it often, but just when it's really dark (especially during deer season). my finger rests on the switch all the time and theyre off as soon as i see head lights. often times the only i ppl i pass are state patrol cars and i know several of them have seen the lights on before i switched them off. never had a problem.

im sure fog lights pointed at the ground will be fine.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
More to follow.
The install went pretty well.

Write up here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/pil...all-69648.html

Much better than stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode