4 inch lift question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

4 inch lift question

Ok currently Up Front on my 4 inch lift it has the trac bar drop bracket and the drop pitman arm.... the trac drop seems to get loose often even with tread locker and give me a shimmy, what other options do I have I would like to get rid of the t bar drop bracket, with that said do I put the stock pit arm back on and an adjustable t bar and or what else?, what are some of you running to get the steering proper and right without bump steer occuring without using the t bar drop bracket?

Thanks for any info yall have to give me a hand..................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I'm running a 4 1/2" lift with a dropped TB bracket and no dropped pitman arm. I have virtually no bump-steer at all. depending on how aligned your drag-link and track-bar are.....you may need to flip the drag-link. Any pix?

This is cheap insurance to keep the track-bar tight-
Attached Images

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 10 Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I could weld on the tb drop and stiffin it up but I have my eyes on the poly perf. tb brace that beefs up the original frame mount location and it is not a drop, I would like to do away with the drop tb and ad the beef up kit instead on frame and axle, I am looking for combo ideas out there of people that dont have the tb drop...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 PM
JKO Addict!

You have to be careful with the Poly bracket that your springs won't hit the rear reinforcement brace under compression. They may also hit the bottom rear steering box bolt head. Need to have near stock control arm lengths. It's a nicely made piece and a great compliment to their axle bracket, flipped drag link and track bar. However, won't work with all springs.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm using the poly axle side and draglink flip...

the issue you get into is making sure you have enough bump stop to keep the bracket from contacting the frame. You need, i believe, 3" of bump stop to clear the bracket.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

the flip may be what Im looking to do.......my question coulda been better, I see alot of 4 inch kits that dont come with the drop pitman arm, with that being said how is yalls front end set up on the ones that dont have a drop pitman arm, I have the drop pitman and drop tb bracket, Im understanding the drop pitman arm is not good on the steer box on the jks, is this true, if so If I put the stocker back on do you HAVE to flip the drag on a 4 inch lift and/or do I still need the drop tb bracket with an adjustable tb
post #7 of 10 Old 11-18-2010, 04:14 PM
JKowners Vendor

Sir

If you take a look at the Rock Krawler Ultimate Steering Setup for the JK, it addresses the high steer setup as well as the track bar geometry. That will answer all your issues at once... Good Luck with your improvments!

Rock Krawler
post #8 of 10 Old 11-18-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Sir

If you take a look at the Rock Krawler Ultimate Steering Setup for the JK, it addresses the high steer setup as well as the track bar geometry. That will answer all your issues at once... Good Luck with your improvments!

Rock Krawler
Thanks but that doesnt answer my question about doing away with the pitman arm and drop tb bracket, I understand the whole geometry of the steering, but im looking for other options and sugestions about the tb drop bracket and drop pitman arm, I can read the sales pitches at any dealer site, im looking for real time setups people are running on 4 inch lifts and how its working for them the ad doesnt say hey you can use stock components and just this only, or you dont have to have the drop stuff anymore etc..............

Last edited by djkbooth; 11-18-2010 at 05:02 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I ran my lift without any steering correction. No drop pitman arm no tb frameside drop. It did have some bump steer but it wasnt that horrible. But, now that i did correct my steering i dont think i could go back. Its much smoother on the road.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
.....I understand the whole geometry of the steering, but im looking for other options and sugestions about the tb drop bracket and drop pitman arm, I can read the sales pitches at any dealer site, im looking for real time setups people are running on 4 inch lifts and how its working for them the ad doesnt say hey you can use stock components and just this only, or you dont have to have the drop stuff anymore etc..............
The simple geometry is if you raise the frame with longer springs you increase the angle of the F&R track bars and the drag link, which pulls the axles off longitudinal centerline of the frame, creating stability issues and bump steer. To address this a few of the mfrs drop the track bar at the frame (drivers) side and use either a drop pitman arm or a drag link flip to correct the steering, combined with a raised rear track bar axle mount. This causes some issues. The dropped frame mount for the track bar creates a different roll center in front vs the rear, and the dropped bracket needs to be reinforced or it will fatigue & snap. Dropped pitman arms fix one problem, but create another, broken pitman shafts.

The increasingly more common and very successful design is to raise the front axle track bar mount to keep the frame mount consistent with and in the same plane as the rear, then flip the drag link to the top of the passenger side steering knuckle. A well engineered kit will get the drag link and track bar on roughly the same angle, will have the front axle attachment point at the same height as the rear, and will have the angles of the front track bar / drag link the same as the rear track bar.

I run a Teraflex 4" kit that was initially a bad bum steerer. I enhanced the kit with a Poly front track bar bracket and Tera's drag link flip (I tried but didn't like Poly's flipped drag link). I tried Poly's front track bar but went back to Tera's because I like the beef and the adjustment design. I use Tera's new forged track bar out back, which I have set at the same angle as the front bar and drag link. Bottom line, no bump steer and very stable on highway, great flex off road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode