Front skid plate... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Front skid plate...

Howdy!!! Does that wannabe front skid plate serve any purpose beside cosmetic? Also, any suggestions on real a replacement plate and why would be most appreciated. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Nope, possibly a tiny bit of aerodynamic wanna be help
tear it off and replace it with something useful

I like the rugged ridge piece - installed it on a couple of Jeeps so far
inexpensive, easy to install and I've beat the hell out of mine

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7368

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

I was told by my jerkoff salesman that it was for fuel effeincy but the service guy said it was to help keep mud/water out of the engine bay. I tend to believe the latter because after mine ripped off the engine bay got filthy. I just keep the dipstick tubes and fluid tubes wiped off.

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

There are some bumper manufacturers that include a nice skid-plate with some of their bumpers. Shockworks and Poison Spyder both do.....and they are actual skid-plates- well built & stout.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 18 Old 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have the RR one on my Rubi, last time I checked it was protecting the e-disco. It did take a few hard hits last time out, I'm happy I put it on.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Granite Guru

Took mine off and replaced it with nothing for the low price of $0. That metal bar behind it scraped the ground a little bit once, but with no e-disco there to damage, I'm not worried about it.

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide
post #7 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 04:16 AM
JKowners Vendor

All good and accurate input.
Yes, the plastic thing increases aerodynamics and helps the Jeep go faster.
Yes, the plastic thing keeps mud and dirt away from the engine compartment, as well as reduce hood flutter.
Yes, if you have a Rubicon, you NEED some extra protection for your sway bar motor--that flimsy crossmember directly in front of it will take one good hit and promptly squash the wiring harness ($2200+)

We either custom fab a "smart bar" to reinforce the cross member in front of the sway bar, or add an aluminum Asfir 4x4 front skid from AOTech http://aotechusa.com/AOT/AOTech.html --the Asfir skid is light, extremely strong, and does the job of the plastic thing too. But, they are a bit challenging to install the first time, even if you are mechanically savvy--but the owner/staff is very nice and is happy to give you tips over the phone if you have any trouble.

A new problem we have recently discovered is that the Jeeps (X's and Sports) that we did NOT add a smart bar, a front skid, or a rock bumper are cracking their frames at the front upper crossmember behind the sway bar mounts. Food for thought!

Happy trails,

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #8 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Wheeler

I also went with the Rugged Ridge and am happy with it!

NRA Member!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)

2007 Rubicon

post #9 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post
A new problem we have recently discovered is that the Jeeps (X's and Sports) that we did NOT add a smart bar, a front skid, or a rock bumper are cracking their frames at the front upper crossmember behind the sway bar mounts. Food for thought!

Happy trails,
Do you mean this is happening after some sort of impact, or is it just happening all on it's own?

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide
post #10 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 AM
JKowners Vendor

If you run lots of hard trail miles in your Jeep, the stock front bumper is not rigid enough to help hold the frame rails together, whereas a smart bar and/or heavier duty aftermarket bumper will add some rigidity to the front end. We started seeing cracks in the metal of the factory front bumper, and, upon investigating further, found the broken front crossmember on the driver's side.

The easiest way to check it is from the side of the vehicle--look in front of the tire, there is a hole/tube in the frame just above the sway bar arm. Look into that tube about 3 inches--the frames always crack on the driver's side first.

If you still have the plastic front bumper cover on, you might not even notice this, except for a popping noise coming from the front end, followed by some unusual wear and tear on all of your steering linkage.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #11 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 11:48 AM
JKO Addict!

i have 3 sitting here. rip it off. just don't cut your fenders

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #12 of 18 Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Granite Guru

OR-Fab makes a very simple skid plate that bolts to the factory bumper and many aftermarket bumpers, including of course the OR Fab bumpers.

Made out of 3/16", it protects the disconnect motor alot better than a piece of plastic.

Retail price is $60.

Michael Stead's Hilltop Jeep
Richmond, CA
post #13 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 10:02 AM

I just got my new Elevated offroad front skid to replace the POS factory plastic one

Last edited by byost; 11-21-2010 at 10:06 AM.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Rock God

Garage

AEV also makes one, not sure if it can only be used with their bumpers though.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Wheeler

Currie has a plate that has nubs for its tow bar hookup. Works great.

Sent from my DROIDX

2010 JK Unlimted Rubicon, red, auto, dual top, nav, aev 3.5 lift, 35" GY Duratracs, currie towbar tuff.

Sold 2010 JK Unlimited Rubicon, white, Auto, hardtop. Currie towbar stuff. Regretted

SOLD Long Arm TJ. Regretted
post #16 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 PM

Ran my 2008 Rubi off-road twice, and bent the snot out of that front crossmember. ALMOST damaged the e-disco, but got real lucky. Didn't even know the crossmember was damaged until I pulled off the air dam in order to install the Rugged Ridge skid plate. Judging by the way that crossmember is designed, it looks as if it's DESIGNED to bend back. Why on earth would someone design it to bend back if it's gotta protect stuff under there?!?

Anyway, with a $450 donation to the local body shop, I'm back in business . . . looking forward to getting some REAL use out of the skid plate and not worrying about my e-disco.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Rock God

Check the home made skid plates post. I built one for $10 and it works great...

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
post #18 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Back from the dead huh?

You could always protect your e-disco with some lights from DELTA

http://deltatechindustries.com/site/01-9562-7BX

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode