35" tire + stock spare? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
35" tire + stock spare?

Why cant you use a smaller spare in the rear? Wouldnt the differential account for the difference in rotational speed? (assuming you are not locked)

Sorry for my lack of mechanical knowledge on this. I just dont have a tire carrier yet so I have my stock spare on the tailgate and have been wondering if I can even use it.

2DR '07 Rubicon 6 Spd, Jeep Green

Taller, heavier, slower, dirtier ... BETTER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Granite Guru

I'd say you can use the stock space, but not for very long in any situation. I 've still got the stocker for my spare and thank God I haven't used it yet.

[Don't pretend you care what I've done to my rig]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Rock God

Too much difference in size between stock and 35 to be safe. You may get away with a short run up a city street, but def not on the hwy, and not on the front at all.. Not worth even chancing it IMHO. You may get away with this on a little car with a spacesaver, but not on a straight axle vehicle especially with an LSD.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
Too much difference in size between stock and 35 to be safe. You may get away with a short run up a city street, but def not on the hwy, and not on the front at all.. Not worth even chancing it IMHO. You may get away with this on a little car with a spacesaver, but not on a straight axle vehicle especially with an LSD.
Yeah this is pretty much what I have heard -- but why is this the case? What happens when there is such a discrepency in tire size? Do the gears bind or something? Or do they wear unevenly?

post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

If you have two open axles, don't use 4x4 and fully disable the ESP you "can" use the smaller tire

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
If you have two open axles, don't use 4x4 and fully disable the ESP you "can" use the smaller tire
Yeah thats what I was thinking. It would literally only be to get me to somewhere where I can get a tire fixed and also only until I can save enough for a tire carrier (im thinking OR Fab....).

Trust me.... if I can help it I wont do it. I just dont want to risk damaging the tailgate with my 35" spare in the meantime as I am not nor do I know any welders to re-do the spot welds on the tailgate.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 08:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Yep, that the only way to do it without damaging anything. I ran my 35 on the gate for over a year and have no side effects from it on my gate. I used a 1.5" wheel spacer, daystar bumps,and let the plastic bumper take some of the wiggle out of the tire. The aftermarket "spacers" put the tire higher, and too far out. The wiggle of that tire will kill the spot welds, made mine hardly move and see no reason why I couldn't continue doing so for about 20,000miles, lots of hard trails (including whups/small jumps) and a 35" km2

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Wheeler

Stock Rubi wheel w/ 35" KM2 and no spacer. The tire is held tight to the bumper. No movement and no noise. Done this with 2 diff JKs with no issues.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Wheeler

I have my 35 on the stock mount as well and like the other guys said the bumper supports part of the weight. With two different size tires on the axle the spider gears will be in constant motion and create a lot more heat and your abs won't like it either.

09 JK 3.5 Rubincon express suspension 35" open country tires 9000lb superwinch member okc jeepthing club
post #10 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMCobra64 View Post
Yeah thats what I was thinking. It would literally only be to get me to somewhere where I can get a tire fixed and also only until I can save enough for a tire carrier (im thinking OR Fab....).

Trust me.... if I can help it I wont do it. I just dont want to risk damaging the tailgate with my 35" spare in the meantime as I am not nor do I know any welders to re-do the spot welds on the tailgate.
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-G...949577&sr=8-11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode