Trek Top - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Trek Top

OK, I am sick and tired of my factory soft top leaking. I am thinking about getting the Trek Top or the ORH top. Of course my Jeep would probably be a rust bucket by the time I actually get the ORH top.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the two leaking?

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

Both of the Trek Tops I have leak. Of course my soft top never has.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Wheeler

Might want to wait for the new Bestop trektop NX. Designed more like the ORH top (rear windows can come off). Last I saw it was supposed to be available sometime 2011....

http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=88

2010 Rubicon Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Wheeler

My trek top leaks at the front corners. The way it attaches at the windshield is really stupid. It only leaks when stopped or at slow speed. At high speed, it doesn't leak but it's loud as hell. Overall for the money I like the top, but it has some definite design flaws. I would see what changes they have in store for 2011. Mind you, I have a hard top for winters. If I was running the trektop year round I think id like it less.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #5 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

ORH wolf top leaks a little where the cargo area side flaps meet the roof ...but not too bad. That said, the wait to get the top can be horrific.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #6 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

It seems like it is pick your poison no matter what you do. I just know I am tired of it leaking.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #7 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

<knock on wood> my Trek Top has never leaked. Must be installer error for those that are having problems

Just kidding, my guess is that there are enough tolarance issues between the jeep and the tops that some leak and some dont. I believe Ive got the Gen2 or 2.5 with the solid tailgate bar in the back and few other changed bits....I ended up waiting 8-9weeks for mine to ship as they were on backorder for redesign....
post #8 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Wheeler

So far, my Trek Top does not leak. It fits pretty tight on both front corners. With the Trek Top, there is not much wind noise either. You can actually listen to the radio and have a conversation while driving down the Intersate. Only con I have is that if you drive, say, 55+ with the windows down, the top flaps pretty bad against the sound bar. Overall, I like mine.

Pros:
No water leaks
Not near as much wind noise
Looks great

Cons:
Top flaps at highway speed with windows down
post #9 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I love my 2door trektop! Have no problems with leaking either. When i installed it it used the pressure washer to blast the seams to test it.i don't have a factory softop to compare, but i have no problem with the wind noise. Good luck with whatever you choose!

The rubicon is a 29 km. river in northern Italy. "Crossing the rubicon" is a popular idiom meaning to pass a point of no return. Originating from Ceasaer's 49 BC crossing of the river, which was considered an act of war
post #10 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Granite Guru

another leaky one here, but only if it poors out when the jeep is parked. It leaks along the seam above the soundbar, and gets the rear seats wet. As someone else mentioned, it is loud, but i don't have a factory soft top to compare to. I sprayed it with some water repellent shit and that seemed to help a little. My header has never leaked though. I am curious to see what the new design will bring.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

My trek top dont leak. It has leaked before when i didnt get the header on just right.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #12 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Wheeler

It doesn't leak when you're driving in rain. But, if there's a puddle on the roof after it rains and you just take off it might leak a little on the side. Not enough to matter though it's just like two or three drops and it really rarely happens. Also, if you don't get the zipper down all the way on the back window (it's actually harder to manage getting it all the way down then it sounds) water comes in when the puddle goes off your roof. I can imagine if you actually tried you could fix the problem of the side leak but I don't care enough to bother with it. I think the main thing is it won't leak when it's sitting still in the rain and it won't leak when you're driving. It's the point when you start moving with a puddle on your roof that makes it have a chance to leak. Overall I would say it's worth getting because it really doesn't leak a lot.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Wheeler

Knock on wood as well my Trek top doesnt leak a drop. Yes it makes some noise but I am even keeping the trektop for the winter and selling the hardtop for some more useful upgrades.

Love the top so well see after the winter.

2007 JK Unlimited Rubi
too much to list
post #14 of 27 Old 11-25-2010, 07:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So is a used trektop for a 2 door worth $190?

I believe its Gen 1 and I need a soft top to replace my factory soft top which has busted both tension straps and is loose at the header where it attaches to the windshield. A local guy has it for sale for $190 and I'm trying to determine if thats a smoking deal or if the guy is trying to cut his losses for buying a POS. Is it worth it?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #15 of 27 Old 11-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Granite Guru

Use that money to invest in a newer generation trektop. Your just gonna be having the same problems as he is hiding I'm sure!
post #16 of 27 Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to superdavis78 Send a message via Yahoo to superdavis78 Send a message via Skype™ to superdavis78

I'm gonna hold out for the NX version, hopefully it will be out for next summer!!

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
post #17 of 27 Old 11-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Rock God

Garage

That new soft top does like pretty nice... Any idea on the price? I didn't see anything on that part.

Quick question: Is it possible to paint a soft-top?
post #18 of 27 Old 11-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Rock God

Just my $.02 on OHR top...doesn't leak most of the time, depends how good of a job I do when installing it, to make sure all the velcro is tight, zippers are closed all the way, etc. The only time I seem to get the most drips is if the wind pushes the rain and water collects under the flaps that cover the tops of the doors....you open the door, get a little wet but the inside of the Jeep has never gotten wet when the top was up. I do geet a little wind noise from the header, no leaks though. They were supposed to make me a replacement front panel to get rid of the wind noise but I've been waiting for months...time to remind Tim again.

If you can deal with the wait, it is really a good quality top. Took me about 3 months to get it but it was winter and I was in no rush.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #19 of 27 Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Granite Guru

A little off topic, but I have 2 trektops and one stocker from an 09. None leak. PM me if interested in buying one. Could meet you in Chattanooga. Love that town.

On topic is I didn't like the velcro on my older trektop, but the newest version is built better but doesn't play nice with the tuffy security enclosure. The bar on the top and the lip of the enclosure are real tight. So depending on your circumstances one might better than the other for you. The header bar is a pain at first but you get used to it. Also, the directions are total crap. I wanted an ORH top, but I don't gamble anymore.

They look great and are really convenient, but you do lose storage space for obvious reasons. My wife hates it but she also thinks the top should be automatic.

About coloring it, nothing good can come from that. The only way possible is to dye it. That would also dye your windows as they are not removable from the fabric.
post #20 of 27 Old 11-25-2010, 10:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG426 View Post
Just my $.02 on OHR top...doesn't leak most of the time, depends how good of a job I do when installing it, to make sure all the velcro is tight, zippers are closed all the way, etc. The only time I seem to get the most drips is if the wind pushes the rain and water collects under the flaps that cover the tops of the doors....you open the door, get a little wet but the inside of the Jeep has never gotten wet when the top was up. I do geet a little wind noise from the header, no leaks though. They were supposed to make me a replacement front panel to get rid of the wind noise but I've been waiting for months...time to remind Tim again.

If you can deal with the wait, it is really a good quality top. Took me about 3 months to get it but it was winter and I was in no rush.
Same for me. I like the top; worth the wait, if you can wait
post #21 of 27 Old 11-25-2010, 11:54 AM
V8 dreams

my trektop leaked when i backed out of the driveway yesterday, all down the pass side window. however, now that i noticed this i am wanting to adjust the header a little better and see if i cant fix the problem. who knows it might cut down on some noise also. i do know this will be so much easier in the summer since i have a hardtop
post #22 of 27 Old 11-26-2010, 02:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well I decided to take a chance and went for a used trektop. Got it for $160 including the bestop header bar. Came out pretty awesome if I do say so myself...

The rear came out as well as I need it to be, its the first generation trektop with the velcro, so I just used my factory tailgate bar and tucked the top in against the bar.

Its working well so far, and the wind noise from this is WAY less than my factory soft top. My old soft top had broken both tensioning straps and if you tried to move the header of the top up and down, it had a good 1/4" of movement in it. The trektop fits so tight on the header there is way way less noise. I really like it so far. And hell, for $160 I love the thing to death. Thank you craigslist.

post #23 of 27 Old 04-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Just a Question

I know the Trektop can roll back over the front seats on the 2 door but I was wondering if it was fairly easy to remove the whole roof so that the whole Jeep is open to the air and if it is easily put back up. Thanks for any input
post #24 of 27 Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Takes me about 3 minutes to take it all off and most of that time is just unscrewing the header bar. 5 minutes to put it back on. To me, its even easier than the factory soft top. I either have it on or off with the duster cover on the back. I know you can roll it back but i never have.

post #25 of 27 Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alky1229 View Post
I know the Trektop can roll back over the front seats on the 2 door but I was wondering if it was fairly easy to remove the whole roof so that the whole Jeep is open to the air and if it is easily put back up. Thanks for any input
Yea I have the trektop for my JKU. Rolls back pretty nice to keep my front seats open if noone is in the back. But if I wanted its really easy/quick to take off completely.

I remember how my factory soft top was on my TJ and the trektop is much easier all around. Aside from the occasional leak: operator error, faulty manufacturing w/e, all the same. Leak, dont leak, noodles, dont noodles...its hit or miss. Just go to home depot and rig it up like everything else we do to these jeeps.

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode