Help removing 2011 soft top (completely) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Help removing 2011 soft top (completely)

I just picked up a 2011 Sahara JKU with the dual top option. It came with the soft top down (but installed) and rolled up neatly AND the Hard Top installed. Whats the correct way to remove that soft top and get it out of the way so I can store it in the garage for the winter?

I will prob. take the hard top off and put the soft top on in the summer so I can easily go topless when I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Granite Guru

If it's rolled up neatly, why would you want to take it off? Seems to me the more you screw/unscrew stuff the shorter life span it has. Plus lifting the hardtop off just to take it off would be a PITA! Just my opinion, congrats on the new addiction!!

ND Jeep Girl~'07 Salvaged Silver Wrangler X 4X4 Hardtop~in the process of a slow renovation
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neoprene seat covers, Jeep cargo net, Rampage 2pc Safari top, Smittybilt XRC rear bumper w/ tire carrier
post #3 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 05:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you MUST take the hard top off to get it out. It should even tell you that in the owners manual or separate papers that came with the jeep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Jeepgrl, the soft top acts like a barrier to putting stuff in the back when the hard top is on.

That was one of the first things I did when I got mine home.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #5 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Granite Guru

ahhh, didn't know that! Jeepgrl smarter now....thank you! It's a 3 ring circus around here to get the top off and back on, with a fear of someone dropping the ass end of it.

ND Jeep Girl~'07 Salvaged Silver Wrangler X 4X4 Hardtop~in the process of a slow renovation

Neoprene seat covers, Jeep cargo net, Rampage 2pc Safari top, Smittybilt XRC rear bumper w/ tire carrier
post #6 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Your owners manual will tell you how to take the tops off. you have to take the hard top off and then your soft top which is two screws then put your hard top back on. Have fun.

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Not only does the soft top create a huge bar/barrier across the rear storage, it rubs firmly on the hard top. I am pretty sure that is in the manual. Of course, when I got my Rubicon, it came with a DVD instead of a manual. I found out that we have to phone in for a hardcopy of the owner's manual, which is then shipped free of charge to us. Somehow, this saves Jeep money..

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Took my hardtop off 2 hours after I got it home... have the hardtop on now, soft top in storage... snowing now.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-16-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

I went through the silly CD manual they gave me. Couldn't find anything about how to remove the soft top completely for storage. looks like there are a few bolts on each arm connecting the soft top to the Jeep. I assume I just remove these? Any tricks I should know about? ( Besides having to remove the hard top first? )
post #10 of 11 Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscoJK View Post
I went through the silly CD manual they gave me. Couldn't find anything about how to remove the soft top completely for storage. looks like there are a few bolts on each arm connecting the soft top to the Jeep. I assume I just remove these? Any tricks I should know about? ( Besides having to remove the hard top first? )
Nope you can leave the brackets on for next summer. Thats what I do anyways, they don't get in the way of anything and I put my x-mas lights on them. lol

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I lowered the back seats, unbolted the mounting flanges and yanked that sucker off. If all the rest of the stuff is still in boxes i would recommend storing it that way until you use it. At least you dont have to worry about scratching the windows.

When you eventually put it on, be sure to wait for a nice sunny day. It helps to lay the top in the sun before installation.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode