Teraflex 2.5 BB question... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Teraflex 2.5 BB question...

I'm going to install my BB sometime within this week or next weekend, and I was wanting to know if there is anything special I need to know about before doing this install. It looks pretty straight forward, but for those of you who have installed it, any surprises you ran into?

Also, I'm giong to run my stock wheels and tires for a little bit, just to see how it rides before I laid down the cash for different wheels and tires. Will the stock wheels AND tires fit without spacers, or will I still need spacers? Thanks.....

2011 Sahara Tan Unlimited Sport, 3.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

it is very straight foward.

the only thing i ran into running stock wheels and no spacers was the rear sway bar links. Make sure you move them to the inside of the sway bar and the inside of the tab on the axle. This way the bolt wont dig into the sidewall of your tire.

Post pics when you get it installed
post #3 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

It's easy, made easier with some beer and a buddy.

I put on some black steelies with 4.5 backspacing so I have nothing to add on the stock wheels.

zjr runs his with the stock wheels and tires. look his up for some pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Okay, thanks. I will try to do a before and after shot of it. This will be the first time I've ever installed a lift kit, but since I am a mechanic, I don't imagine it's going to be too tough to do. I've got a lift here at work that I hope they let me use to do the install.

post #5 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
It's easy, made easier with some beer and a buddy.

I put on some black steelies with 4.5 backspacing so I have nothing to add on the stock wheels.

zjr runs his with the stock wheels and tires. look his up for some pics.
Cool, I'll take a peek at his pics. Thanks

post #6 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

only hitch I ran into on my first one was that the upper bolts on the rear shocks go through from the bottom to a nut WELDED to the topside of the frame.
I tried to loosen the nut from the top and broke the welds on one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Rock God

I did it, so if you've hot mec experience, you can do it easy. I ride stock tires for now and it's good. Do what BBirish syz with the rear links.

~ Clam
post #8 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

If you got the BB kit with either shock extenders or new shocks, you'll need a 16mm ratchet wrench to undo the top of the stockers. You're a mechanic and probably already have one, but in the odd chance you didn't,
post #9 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah, I got it with shock extensions. Thanks for the replies. How long did it take you guys to install it? I'm trying to figure out a time frame to start.

post #10 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Rock God

- Do not tighten the components while the jeep is jacked up. Tighten and torque them once wheels are on the ground and the weight is back on the suspension.
- Pre check the rear trackbar relocation bracket for fitment. You may have to enlarge the bolt hole a bit.
- Have a racket strap handy incase you need to cinch the trackbar over to insert the bolt.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #11 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUnlimited View Post
Yeah, I got it with shock extensions. Thanks for the replies. How long did it take you guys to install it? I'm trying to figure out a time frame to start.
Took me about 6-7 hrs solo with a trip in the middle to get a 16 mm wrench and a dull ass drill bit and dead batteries. Was my first time doing anything suspension wise. And yeah, don't tighten anything up until it's sitting back on all fours.

~ Clam
post #12 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna have a buddy helping me, so hopefully it won't take as long as 6 hours!!! But, I'm know to run into problems on every project I do, so maybe it will take longer.

When you say pre check the rear trackbar bracket for fitment, what was the problem you ran into and how did you check it exactly? Did you check it after you had the bracket installed and the Jeep on the ground?

Are any of you guys running any kind of front adjustable trackbar or did you leave the front end stock?

post #13 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Rock God

As for the trackbar bracket, on mine the bolt hole didn,t quite line up. You can check this out once its in the air and trackbar is disconnected. The relocation bracket bolts inside the factory bracket that is welded to the frame. I still use the factory front trackbar as is with no problemo..

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got air tools & it took me less than 3 hours to solo. Hardest part was getting the rear spacers to stick in the frame. I'm running a RK front TB and the TF HD rear TB bracket that bolts to the axle tube. Not sure which one you have... either way, install on both was very straight forward.

Torque THE LIVIN PISS outa the track bars.

And hold onto your rear upper shock bolts. You'll thank yourself later when you toss the extensions for full length shocks and don't have to go buy four new ones from the dealer @ like $3.75 a pop. Ask me how I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #15 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Granite Guru

- Pre check the rear trackbar relocation bracket for fitment. You may have to enlarge the bolt hole a bit.
- Have a racket strap handy incase you need to cinch the trackbar over to insert the bolt.[/QUOTE]

This on my 09 unlimited install
post #16 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i think it took me like 4 hours with 3 guys no air tools

x1000 on torquing the track bar down
post #17 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Torque THE LIVIN PISS outa the track bars.
I didn't want to temp the death wobble god, so I got a torque wrench and torqued everything I touched to factory specs. Even the shocks. Lol

The jk technical area on jeepforum has them all listed.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Granite Guru

Stock tires will not fit in the rear without spacers. I know from experience. The tires will be smushed and will be sitting on your links. Get one set of spacers for the rear. Enjoy the install! Oh and don't let anyone tell you that 35's will not fit with the BB, they do. I have 33" mud tires. I'm thinking 35" Mickey All Terrains next time. I don't like the "flightyness" of my Mud Countries.

07 JKU Rescue Green with 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex w/ Bilstein 5100s, 5.13's, Eaton E-Locker, 35" MT Baja ATZ, 17" DC Torque wheels, Monstalined tub, Home-made front bumper with Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Wild Boar rack w/ IPF 968 lights, K&N Intake, Gibson Exhaust.
Future Mods: 2wd-4wd conversion = completed!

Last edited by jeepRcreepR; 11-15-2010 at 10:37 PM.
post #19 of 23 Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepRcreepR View Post
Stock tires will not fit in the rear without spacers. I know from experience. The tires will be smushed and will be sitting on your links.
The links can be flipped to the inside of the stabilizer and the tab on the diff so you can run stock wheels without spacers. Mine is running like that as we speak until my new 35s come in..

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

post #20 of 23 Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Stock tires will not fit in the rear without spacers.

Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
The links can be flipped to the inside of the stabilizer and the tab on the diff so you can run stock wheels without spacers.
Correct.

I ran 285/75 ProComp Xtreme AT's on the stock 16" steelies for better than 6 months. No spacers. Wheeled the piss out of it.

Only caveat is that you cannot disconnect the front sway bar and flex it out unless you want to slash your inner sidewall on the upper spring perch.

Quote:
post #21 of 23 Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Granite Guru

Cheeky bastard. Wish I would have known that. Nice work. I don't see much space in there for it. Post a pic of that for me if you could please.

07 JKU Rescue Green with 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex w/ Bilstein 5100s, 5.13's, Eaton E-Locker, 35" MT Baja ATZ, 17" DC Torque wheels, Monstalined tub, Home-made front bumper with Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Wild Boar rack w/ IPF 968 lights, K&N Intake, Gibson Exhaust.
Future Mods: 2wd-4wd conversion = completed!
post #22 of 23 Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Cheeky bastard. Wish I would have known that. Nice work. I don't see much space in there for it. Post a pic of that for me if you could please.
I dug around for a good pic showing the top of the rear links but couldn't find one. This is the best I could come up with and show the inboard mounting.

You're right, there is not alot of room but it will fit. Just remove the links and reinstall inboard on sway bar and axle. I get a very small amount of rub on the passenger side frame rail but they are button heads so I just let it go.

Quote:
post #23 of 23 Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Wheeler

If its a spacer lift, spring compressors help it go faster.

I would throw a 3/4" spacer on top of the front just to get it level.
From top to bottom: 3/4 spacer, 2.5 spacer, isolator, spring.
Ran that on 2 JK's with 35's for ever.

When you get it appart you will see that due to the post that holds the bumpstop you could stack 15 spacers without any issues.

Last edited by shredX; 11-18-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode