Balancing MT/R's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Balancing MT/R's

I have 5 35x12.50x15 goodyear MT/R's with Kevlar. I am mounting them on cragar soft 8's 15x8. My question is should I use weight to balance them or Dyna beads? I am not sure which method is better, and after asking around a few commercial places said they would not be able to balance them. Looking for some info.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i had my 35x12.5x15's mounted at my local mavis tire. use the weights not the beads, no need for beads the tires arent that big
post #3 of 12 Old 11-14-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

K thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirish View Post
i had my 35x12.5x15's mounted at my local mavis tire. use the weights not the beads, no need for beads the tires aren't that big.
x2 on the beads .... I bought them, paid to have them installed, and then had to pay again to get them taken out. Waste of money for me.

'08 Rubi Unlimited - a few mods. (sold)
post #5 of 12 Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Wheeler

I haven't had any luck with beads .... they work great in 18 wheelers, but not in my Ram2500 with 37's or in the Rubi with 37's
post #6 of 12 Old 11-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs up AirSoft Pelets

I'm running .2g Airsoft Pelets. I have about 10 oz in each tire, They work great for me. I'll never balance again!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I have the exact same setup...use lip weights and check and recheck your brake calipers. Mine rubbed the calipers and I didn't know for about 3000 miles. LOL! They wore the spot on the calipers down, so nothing to really worry about, just unnerving.

Mine have a TON of weight on them. Probably 8oz + each.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Granite Guru

Im going to state the obvious.... Make sure when/if they put weight on that they are on the outside of the wheel. When I had 15's I did not think of saying anything and they put them on the inside.

I did the powder and not the beads first. Put powder in. Tweak powder amount. Tweak powder amount again. Tweak powder amount again. Vacuum powder out and balance with weights.

Edit: I should of read all the posts..... Yes, what RiverCityOffroad said except I had them put them on the outside. A little black paint and a brush and you barely notice them.

2008 Rescue Green Unlimited Sahara
TF LA 3"
37" GY MT/R's
Manual/4.88's

Last edited by mulewhisperer; 11-14-2010 at 09:11 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Wheeler

I just installed 38x14.50 KM2's and used 12oz. of Dynabeads per tire and they balanced out great. Would use the beads again and recomend to others.

Chris

2008 Rubicon
6 spd
post #10 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 05:03 AM
Rock God

i used dynabeads in my 37" mudgrapplers... some days they ran great some days not.. i think what was happening was the beads were getting caught in the groves inside the tire and sometimes not working correctly... so anyway i took out the dynabeads and drove great without any weights at all...the dynabeads might work better with a tire that is smoother inside... I'm using spyderlock wheels..and 37" nitto mud grappler's.. but my plan was to take them and get balanced. Ive also used equal powder but it gets clumpy if it get any moisture in the tire..
post #11 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulewhisperer View Post
Im going to state the obvious.... Make sure when/if they put weight on that they are on the outside of the wheel. When I had 15's I did not think of saying anything and they put them on the inside.
x2 on the weights on both sides, don't let them balance the tires on the inside only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytee View Post
I just installed 38x14.50 KM2's and used 12oz. of Dynabeads per tire and they balanced out great. Would use the beads again and recomend to others.
Chris
38" tires are totally different than 35's. I was running 38.5" x 15" boggers on my TJ and I had them balance with weights and never had any issues with them.

Gus

2008 JK Sahara 4" of lift, 2" BL, 37" M16's , rancho rear bumper, EVO C gussets and skids, PSC Evap Skid, SB Bumper w/stinger, 10000LB SB Winch, Aussie locker on front and a lot of spare axle shafts lol
CONFIDENCE is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM
JKO Addict!

last time i balanced some 35" mtr's they took quite a bit of weight to balance...

i don't think i'd trust dynabeads for that... just my .02

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode