Rocker Protection Information Request - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Rocker Protection Information Request

Been searching all weekend for info on rocker protection for my JKU. I am looking for something that has steps for the kids and wife, but doesn't hang down, also wanting something lightweight.

The wife likes the look of Teraflex aluminum rockers, and was also considering the Nemesis aluminum rockers as well, I like the step they showed in the product thread.

What else is there that is either aluminum, or at least doesn't weigh 100's of pounds? I like the PSC kit, but couldn't seem to find the weight on the website?

Anyone out there running the Teraflex rockers? How are they holding up are they functional as a step?

TIA,
Dane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Rock God

I'm not certain about the weight, but I am lusting for the Poison Spyder stuff! I'm saving for the BFH stubby, Brawler Rockers, and Brawler bumper. When I showed my wife a picture of their Unlimited decked out, she proclaimed it "badass and dead sexy!" so I'm golden!

Davesrb
post #3 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrb View Post
I'm not certain about the weight, but I am lusting for the Poison Spyder stuff! I'm saving for the BFH stubby, Brawler Rockers, and Brawler bumper. When I showed my wife a picture of their Unlimited decked out, she proclaimed it "badass and dead sexy!" so I'm golden!

Davesrb
Dood. I may need to get your wife to talk to my wife and share her opinion. I'm gonna need all the help I can get when that big brown truck shows up with my PSC stuff and the wife asks.."what's that?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 05:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Dane,

You could PM any of the guys at Poison Spyder and ask them for the weight. I have them on mine, and I'm totally guessing here and say they are 55lbs each

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Granite Guru

It's not aluminum, but they're tough. The steps are great.

T&T Customs (TREKS).

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #6 of 16 Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
Dane,

You could PM any of the guys at Poison Spyder and ask them for the weight. I have them on mine, and I'm totally guessing here and say they are 55lbs each
I'll check with PSC, thanks!

Anyone have any feedback on the Teraflex rockers? Other options? The wife expressed she likes the looks of the boat style rockers ove the tube rail, but for me the deciding factor is going to be weight and function over looks.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Rock God

I have 2 buddies that have/had the teraflex ones, they both were mangled about a year after having them. They wheel pretty hard though...

I just got some aluminum nemesis rockers to knock some weight down on my jeep. They are super nice. There will be over 3/4" of aluminum between the tub and the rocks(in layers), so I think they'll hold up nicely!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Whats more important to you? Weight or durability, you can't have your cake and eat it too with this piece of equipment.

The Aluminum Rockers do not hold up if you wheel really hard in the rocks. I have seen the Teraflex ones break easily, and I am sure the other aluminum models will as well. But for moderate wheeling they will do fine.

If you want a good balance between strength and ground clearance, check out PSC or PureJeep.

If you want strength, but also want a usable step and don't care about clearance, get one of the quality frame mounted designs like Shrockworks.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Wheeler

I agonized over this choice and decided on the schrockworks rocksliders. The pair weighs about 95 pounds and they mount directly to the frame, so they're tough as all get out. I'm not sure I would bother buying the majority of rails the mount to the body pinchseam. Rails aren't much use if they won't really protect your jeep. The shrockworks make a good step too if you put some griptape on them. They're made to order so it will take 6 weeks to get them but they rock.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #10 of 16 Old 11-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Granite Guru

I have the PSC rocker knockers, mine are about 4 months old. I've been wheel'n pretty hard on them now 30 times or so. Forget about the weight IMO, its low weight, if you like to bang it around get the ones that will hold up. They also allow you to slide and not get hung up. My jeep is a 4door and weight is about 5300 pounds and it has all banged on these rockers and they hold up and provide protection to. They just come out with some new rockers but not sure how they differ from mine.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I opted for the Poly Performance Rubi Tubes. They come in a kit and you weld them yourself to the stock rubicon rails. Woods also makes a similar product. Both have steps that are welded on top of the tubes. Both are JKO vendors. I've had no problems with them. They are made of carbon steel.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #12 of 16 Old 11-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaster View Post
It's not aluminum, but they're tough. The steps are great.

T&T Customs (TREKS).

X2 on the Treks.

I have the older version with the step thats not as wide as in the pics above but the construction is basically the same and these are just plain SOLID. The thickest wall tubing of any manufacturer I have seen and yet they are not that bulky and very easy to install. They also come with optional "boatsides" which are steel plates that give an angled sliding surface to the side of the jeep. But in the interest of weight and cost you dont need to order them.

Pics of my Treks Install

2DR '07 Rubicon 6 Spd, Jeep Green

Taller, heavier, slower, dirtier ... BETTER
post #13 of 16 Old 11-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Whats more important to you? Weight or durability, you can't have your cake and eat it too with this piece of equipment.

The Aluminum Rockers do not hold up if you wheel really hard in the rocks. I have seen the Teraflex ones break easily, and I am sure the other aluminum models will as well. But for moderate wheeling they will do fine.

If you want a good balance between strength and ground clearance, check out PSC or PureJeep.

If you want strength, but also want a usable step and don't care about clearance, get one of the quality frame mounted designs like Shrockworks.

After seeing the Teraflex tear/bend/bow, I always thought the same. After seeing these Nemesis ones, my mind has changed, they are much harder and thicker aluminum than the Teraflex ones are. I'll let you know how they handle getting beat around! My steel ones, the tubes were all bent and dented up(the substructure/boatsides held up really well so I can't complain and really like them still), I just wanted to try something different and loose a little weight.

Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
post #14 of 16 Old 11-17-2010, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
What is the point in having cake if you can't eat it??

Function is more important to me than looks. But I also don't want to bog my already heavy JKU down with more weight than necessary. Just trying to gather as much info before dropping the coin on some sliders. Shipping gets to be more expensive when looking at the heavier sliders as well. Already looking at over $100 to ship most of these (some offer free shipping, which is a HUGE benefit), if not more...

So far, some of the steel ones aren't that much heavier than aluminum. When I get home tonight I'll post of the specs on some of the models I am considering.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Rock God

+ I always heard you can have 2 of the 3... you choose

lightweight... strength... inexpensive...

Fenders & Rockers -
post #16 of 16 Old 11-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Rock God

I have the tereflex sliders on my unlimited. they've held up pretty good. i've had the entire weight of the jeep on them and have dropped on them HARD. they are still in decent shape. if you are going to be on sharp / jagged rocks, they will gouge. so far that is the biggest downside. I'm thinking of adding some 16 or 18 gauge steel plates (skins) to the bottoms to slide over rocks with w/out tearing out small pieces of the alum sliders.

if you wheel mostly in mud, hard dirt, and some rocks i think you'll be good. if you are planning on dragging your jeep over a lot of rocks just about every wheeling trip, then i'd look at steel sliders.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account

Last edited by jkx0778; 11-17-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode