Check Engine light - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-12-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Check Engine light

My Jeep is throwing 2 codes right now after I sank it in frog hole at Rausch creek. I dont have any true ill effects from it but I would like to fix the problems so there are no long term effects on the motor. Maybe ya'll can help.

Its throwing the code for the dreaded evap canister (P 0440 I think) and its throwing the code saying that the Post Cat sensor is reading too rich. Im thinking that both of these are simply bad sensors from them getting wet and probably fried from frog hole but Im sure some of you will have some more insight.

Do I just need to replace the sensor behind the cat? And I have no clue what to do about the evap canister.

Oh yeah, just recently, it starting giving me a gas cap indicator. I have taken the gas cap on and off several times making sure its tight, I have no clue what to do about that either but Im not really too concerned about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mod..Wheel..Break..Repeat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Criminals prefer unarmed victims:Μολὼν λαβέ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I think I understand your question - but I am a two door guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman4455 View Post
My Jeep is throwing 2 codes right now after I sank it in frog hole at Rausch creek. I dont have any true ill effects from it but I would like to fix the problems so there are no long term effects on the motor. Maybe ya'll can help.

Its throwing the code for the dreaded evap canister (P 0440 I think) and its throwing the code saying that the Post Cat sensor is reading too rich. Im thinking that both of these are simply bad sensors from them getting wet and probably fried from frog hole but Im sure some of you will have some more insight.

Do I just need to replace the sensor behind the cat? And I have no clue what to do about the evap canister.

Oh yeah, just recently, it starting giving me a gas cap indicator. I have taken the gas cap on and off several times making sure its tight, I have no clue what to do about that either but Im not really too concerned about it.

Did you try pulling the battery terminal for a few mins and doing a "system reboot" on the jeep's ecu?
post #3 of 7 Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

If you got the code for the evap can and then got the gas cap notice, I'd wager that you've damaged the evap can/hose/gasket. If it is sensing a leak somewhere in the system that could throw those codes. You should check the can for cracks, make sure all the hoses are in place and intact. As for the gasket, I think it's behind the white connector.

As for the O2 sensor... I guess just replace it. Trouble is, there are, I believe, 6 O2 sensors on the JK...

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
If you got the code for the evap can and then got the gas cap notice, I'd wager that you've damaged the evap can/hose/gasket. If it is sensing a leak somewhere in the system that could throw those codes. You should check the can for cracks, make sure all the hoses are in place and intact. As for the gasket, I think it's behind the white connector.

As for the O2 sensor... I guess just replace it. Trouble is, there are, I believe, 6 O2 sensors on the JK...

Good luck
I've been to the dealer 3 times for this and they treat me like a 16 year old and tell me my gas cap is loose. I hate dealers!!

DIRTYDOG NETTING, SUN SHADES AND PET DIVIDER

post #5 of 7 Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

Guess it's time to update the warning sign...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Granite Guru

I've had both issues with mine (evap can and gas cap).

I took it to the dealer and both were covered under the warranty.

[Don't pretend you care what I've done to my rig]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I have not tried doing the reboot yet. I thought about it but did not want to just clear the codes.... or lose my radio setting and all my progammed stuff from my procal. I guess Im just going to have to stop being lazy and do it though. Ill check all the connections on the canister, I already looked at it and it isnt cracked though, but one of the wires looked like the "casing" had come off. And I know the sensor is the post cat sensor, Im pretty sure there is only one so that should be easy, Ill just pull it and see if I can just maybe clean it or something. If not then Ill replace it. Where is the best place to get a new sensor?

Mod..Wheel..Break..Repeat

Criminals prefer unarmed victims:Μολὼν λαβέ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I think I understand your question - but I am a two door guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode