in the shop again - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 10-25-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Angry in the shop again

wow, i'm pissed! Took my dog to the vet today in the jeep - when i was almost there my clutch started to feel funny... a lot less resistance. When I was done at the Vet, loaded up my dog and started up the Jeep. When I tried to put it in gear it wouldn't go. The Clutch pedal had no resistance at all and fluid was leaking all over the place. Finally got a tow truck after about 1.5 hours waiting and when we arrived at a Jeep Dealership they let us know kindly that we couldn't get a rental because they closed at noon.

Let's see....since I bought the Jeep (11k miles ago) I got the following fixed:
Throw-out Bearing
Rear Main Seal
Throw-out Bearing again about 1000 miles ago
Things they didn't fix:
My Hard Top is still leaking because they can't 'Duplicate' the leaks
The Transmission makes a loud noise in every gear but 5th

Miles to date: 37270

Last wednesday I got a strong feeling that I either have to trade the Jeep in for something else and loose a bunch of $$$ or buy an extended warranty for it (spend more $$$) because mine ran out at 36K miles and i've had so many repairs already. So i bought the lifetime maximum care warranty from chrysler on Thursday and boy am I glad I did.

I'm still pissed because every time I'm starting to have fun with my Jeep I gotta take it to the shop and leave it there for several days. I hope my Bad Luck ends soon so I don't feel bad anymore about buying the Jeep over a Hummer or something else.

H3 Lux with Adventure Package

Gone but not forgotten:
2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
2007 Silver Rubicon Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Well....OK

First- I hope your dog is OK. I would rather my jeep burn to the ground then to have family/ girlfriend/ myself/ including my dog...in ill health.

You have gotten some good/ very necessary repairs done already- So at least there is hopefully not much else to go wrong. I am still dreading the day that I have to have my clutch (TSB) and throwout bearing (TSB) repaired, and possibly the rear main seal eventually.

That was a great idea to get the extended warranty. Even if you have more problems (God forbid)...or if you ever decide to sell it, you wont have to worry that no one will want it due to some costly issue, and if you keep it then your a$$ is covered till 76,000 (?) miles now.

It seems you were lucky to get the extended coverage at 37k + miles. I thought people were out of luck at exactly 36k.

Be glad that you weren't turned away from your dealership due to a bunch of modifications. Lots of people are having to battle dealership service depts for warranty work, due to this.

They may decide to just throw a new transmission in it. They have done this before rather than taking it apart time after time.

Eventually, they will develop a seal kit that actually works. TOO many people are STILL having this leak issue as well. Just a matter of time. ( And thank God you don't live somewhere that gets a TON of rain. I know that one is really a PITA. But don't give up hope.

If you use your jeep on the trails, articulating and such, then there is no other/ better solid axle/ upgradeable 4x4 on the market including the Hummer and the FJ. Just look at some of the youtube Hummer videos out there. They have a lot of problems getting down the easiest of trails. Plus you cant just pull the doors and top off of a Hummer or FJ.

Don't have any comment on the loaner car. That just sort of sucks.

Hope some of this helps...Good luck. It will work out one way or the other.
post #3 of 24 Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
and if you keep it then your a$$ is covered till 76,000 (?) miles now.
i'm covered for as long as i own my jeep, no miles or time restriction. That's why i went for it. I could put a million miles on it and they would still pay for any repairs.

Gone but not forgotten:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 10-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Granite Guru

How much was that warranty?
post #5 of 24 Old 10-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Wheeler

Yea I also would like to know what the price was.

Thanks
post #6 of 24 Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxVet82 View Post
How much was that warranty?
with $100 Deductible:
$2630: $200 Down / 36 payments of $67.50

with $0 Deductible:
$3950: $200 Down / 36 payments of $104.75

all prices were for a special they had going on last week which was up to 50% off msrp

Gone but not forgotten:
post #7 of 24 Old 10-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Granite Guru

Take it in for the throw out bearing once more even if it's actually okay then that's 3 other the same problem. Than lemon-law it, I'm sure the dealer would rather hand you the keys for a brand new jeep than get dinged in court for the vehicle cost, plus service losses, plus grief costs to the client.

2007 2D 6SPD JK X
post #8 of 24 Old 10-26-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

not sure if is that easy. plus i would never be able to keep my add-ons. i'm the second owner of the Jeep - gotta check into the Texas lemon law...

Gone but not forgotten:
post #9 of 24 Old 10-26-2008, 02:18 PM

X2 on the dog. Maybe you need a different dealer. I bought a 95 TA Convertable from my FIL last year when he went to trade it in. He bought it new and always had the dealer do service. They offered next to nothing so I bought it. Those monkeys butchered everything they touched. He just spent a grand for a water pump and all the hoses. Of course they charged for all the hoses but one thats harder than the rest to change got forgotten. The air boot is riped the battery was in wrong, clips on the air filter missing, hoses to the air box left off. I can pull any receipt for a dealer repair and show you how they butched it up. Check every last thing those bastards touch if you go to a dealer. Even stuff like when they replace a tail light is butcherd and clips and carpet just thrown back in. The door panel was removed and half the clips were broken and never replaced. ECT. Sad thing was this was a garaged kept old mans car kept clean enough to eat off of. It was his pride and joy and the dealer treated it it like junk.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-26-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i'm kinda wondering if they didn't do something right when they replaced the throw out bearing 1000 miles ago.
It got towed to a different shop so we will see tomorrow what they say.

Gone but not forgotten:
post #11 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

well, they say it's the Slave Cylinder that's leaking. They also say that it leaked all over the clutch that's why I couldn't shift gears. Slave Cylinder is covered under warranty but the clutch would cost me 1000 bucks to fix. I say screw the fluid on the clutch...it will eventually burn off - am i wrong?

Gone but not forgotten:
post #12 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_Rubi View Post
well, they say it's the Slave Cylinder that's leaking. They also say that it leaked all over the clutch that's why I couldn't shift gears. Slave Cylinder is covered under warranty but the clutch would cost me 1000 bucks to fix. I say screw the fluid on the clutch...it will eventually burn off - am i wrong?
Your wrong. Clutch is shot if it is covered with fluid.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHAFFERS OFFROAD. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID..
post #13 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
Your wrong. Clutch is shot if it is covered with fluid.
What he said. Clutch is gone if it's fluid soaked. Nothing for it. Sorry.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

hmmm...i guess i'll buy the clutch and do it myself. $1000 sounds way to much to replace the clutch. I can get the clutch & pressure plate for $160.

Gone but not forgotten:
post #15 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_Rubi View Post
i'm covered for as long as i own my jeep, no miles or time restriction. That's why i went for it. I could put a million miles on it and they would still pay for any repairs.
I'm not really understanding...With this lifetime maximum care warranty deal, why are you having to spend any money besides the deductible? Is there something regarding the deductible that I am missing?

post #16 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

my slave cyl leaked all over my clutch and it still works fine. mine broke and leaked and the stupid dealer replaced it but forgot to close the bleeder so it leaked all over the clutch again. mine wouldnt go into gear unless i pumped the crap out if the clutch(cause the fulid was so low)

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #17 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I'm not really understanding...With this lifetime maximum care warranty deal, why are you having to spend any money besides the deductible? Is there something regarding the deductible that I am missing?

most warrantys dont cover parts that wear, like brakes, clutches stuff like that.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #18 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
most warrantys dont cover parts that wear, like brakes, clutches stuff like that.
yepp, what he said.

Gone but not forgotten:
post #19 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
my slave cyl leaked all over my clutch and it still works fine. mine broke and leaked and the stupid dealer replaced it but forgot to close the bleeder so it leaked all over the clutch again. mine wouldnt go into gear unless i pumped the crap out if the clutch(cause the fulid was so low)
how many miles have you had on your jeep when that happened?

Gone but not forgotten:
post #20 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
But it didn't wear, it was damaged by a covered part failure. Depends on the language of the warranty, and no matter what it says, they will claim its not covered.
post #21 of 24 Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8it View Post
But it didn't wear, it was damaged by a covered part failure. Depends on the language of the warranty, and no matter what it says, they will claim its not covered.
X2- That is what I was saying. I know that "normal wear" items are not covered by warranties, but it seemed that this clutch had anything but normal wear. Plus the name "Lifetime maximum care warranty" seemed like...I don't know...more than your average warranty or something.
post #22 of 24 Old 10-28-2008, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

They said that they don't cover a clutch period. Doesn't makes sense, even the service manager explained to them what happened but whatever...
Here is a link to what it covers; http://www.jeep.com/en/service_contr...wned_vehicles/

I'm just glad that they will keep replacing my engine even if I put 500000 miles on the Jeep (which i plan on doing).

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by 07_Rubi; 10-28-2008 at 02:23 AM.
post #23 of 24 Old 11-02-2008, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

here's an update;
last Tuesday I called the service guy and he told me that the parts are in and the Mechanic is working on it and is already half way done and that it be ready to go Wednesday in the A.M. So Wednesday around noon I hook up my trailer to the truck and drive 45 miles to the dealership to pick up my Jeep.
When I get there the service guy tells me that he would check on the status. When he comes back he says the mechanic must be at lunch and that i should check back in an hour or so. I wait. Finally he let's me kindly know that the mechanic is finishing a Clutch on another vehicle and then he will start on my jeep. I say WTF you told me yesterday that it is already half way done and know you tell me that your mechanic didn't do ****. He apologizes and makes the promise that the jeep will be done Thursday. All pissed i leave the place and go home without my Jeep.
Thursday all ready to get my beloved jeep back I call the service guy around 2 P.M.to make sure my jeep is ready to go before I make the trip for nothing again. He tells me that the Mechanic replaced the slave cylinder but noticed that there is a leaking line going to it. He also tells me that the part needed is in Michigan and won't be in till Tuesday. Needless to say I'm PISSED! Stay as far away from Mac Haik CJD on I45 as possible!

Gone but not forgotten:
post #24 of 24 Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

WOW- Chrysler just continues to amaze me with their honest reputable service departments. I too will have to battle them as well next week...(not Mac Haik-leg-and-take-piss), but at yet another award winning dealership, for a bad steering box...not even Mopar- They sub this out to Delphi (??? WTF- I thought Delphi manuf electronic components to begin with!). Also found out that I have a front axle that is starting to bend. I know they won't do anyhting with that due to the 35's, not expecting them to. But I will have to battle them (likely) about the steering box. DC has had TONS of issues with these on many jeeps. But you see....My dealership does NOT like to warranty (A TRAIL RATED VEHICLE) that the customer decides to take OFF ROAD!

Didn't mean to hijack this, as I am just venting about my newly discovered problems as well. I hate that Mac-Haik...just like so many...continue to lie about the status. I would say that's unacceptable, but it seems that if they want to- they will just treat you however they want. With our local dealership- here (Without driving 30- 40 mins to the next closest) , they also lie. They told my friend that service couldn't be performed on a certain day because they had no techs at the shop that day (not that they were tied up...but that none were there). So within a few minutes the customer drives there anyway to find THREE techs there...just standing around. SOME DEALERSHIPS REALLY SUCK with...well...EVERYTHING!

I hope that you will get some eventual satisfaction from Mac Haik and get your vehicle back with less wrong than when it went in. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode