CB Radio *Cobra 75 (PICS of your setup are appreciated) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
CB Radio *Cobra 75 (PICS of your setup are appreciated)

Hey folks it is about time to get serious an pony up some money for a cb radio. Any set up you are proud of post some pics. I am looking at the 3 ft Fire stick and Cobra 75 due to lack of space in the 2dr jk. Feedback is appreciated.

STEP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Rock God

there is also a cobra 76 now thats a little cheaper but i only think it comes in blue.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

I found the 75 to have a very lack luster speaker and the squelch is too easy to adjust while you are using the radio (then leaving a radio turned down and unusable). Other than the "stealth" factor when you unhook the radio.... there is no reason to own this radio, for less money you can have much more radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 PM
-T-
Rock God

Didn't like it....the speaker sucked, might as well use a string and can to communicate.

I laugh, I smile, I bounce..............JEEP
post #5 of 18 Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
I found the 75 to have a very lack luster speaker and the squelch is too easy to adjust while you are using the radio (then leaving a radio turned down and unusable). Other than the "stealth" factor when you unhook the radio.... there is no reason to own this radio, for less money you can have much more radio.
I have seen the Cobra 29 which is said to be "legendary". Where the hell do you mount this thing. I would like it out of site so I can keep the top and doors off. Any ideas
post #6 of 18 Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

I run a smaller unit than the 29 you mentioned... and it is mounted to the streamer bars on my roll cage. That probably doesn't help you... but I have seen several mounts that put the radio in the same/similar spot. Some guys have mounted on the drive train tunnel.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #8 of 18 Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I run the 75 and its been great. I did the common thing where the main box is mounted behind the panel on the passenger side. I chose not to cut out anything and have the connection hanging down. I just zip tied it to the bar under the glove box. Thats right, zip ties. When not in use, I tuck it up under and it isn't visible. Once attached it's good to go.

One bad thing is that the speaker failed after I had owned it for about 2 weeks and used it maybe 5 times. I contacted Cobra and they had me send it in for a full replacement at no cost to me. Since that time a little over 2 years ago, it has been great. Squelch adjustment is easy to use and I find the speaker to be more than sufficient. I often have to turn it down to half volume or its way annoying.

I'll see if I can manage to snap some pics tomorrow.

Don't be wary of the 75, its a great radio and its really nice to not have a big ass CB box taking up space in the cab. In my book, worth every penny.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #9 of 18 Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's hard to beat the Tuffy for security and convenience...

post #10 of 18 Old 11-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Wheeler

Here is where I mounted mine.

I found it hard to hear with just the window down. The plastic on the mic cord has almost came completely off. I have had to wrap it with black electrical tape. I do like the small, compact unit but if it had a way to connect an external speaker, I would like it a lot better. When I talk to people, they say I sound "distance", but I never had anything tuned.

I have bought a full size CB radio and plan to buy a over-head console.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Rock God

My cobra 75 broke after a few weeks of having it. I will not buy another. And the speaker does suck.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-09-2010, 05:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie945 View Post
My cobra 75 broke after a few weeks of having it. I will not buy another. And the speaker does suck.
Did you contact Cobra? THey replaced mine free of charge.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #13 of 18 Old 11-09-2010, 05:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Cobra 29 is the shit. I would never go back to a 75.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-09-2010, 05:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I liked the Cobra 75 I had in my JK (with external speakers in the roll cage) so much, that I put one in my TJ too. But over the course of the last 8 months, both Cobra 75s stopped working. They hate dust, so don't make a good Jeep radio IMO. I should have did it right the first time and installed a "real" CB.

I had a peaked and tuned Cobra 29 in my 4x4 Suburban, so I mounted that in my JK above the rear-view mirror with a custom mount attached to my RockHard cage. Great range and features, and the Road King noise canceling mic is sweeeet.

IMHO, I wouldn't waste the money and cut up/drill your jeep to install a 75. Range, speaker, and quality are lacking in that unit.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
Did you contact Cobra? THey replaced mine free of charge.
I just tossed it.
post #16 of 18 Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Granite Guru

Here is my setup. I wasn't sure if I would like it, so I didn't want to do anything permanent when I originally installed it. The box is under the passenger seat. Drilled a couple small holes in the metal seat rail. As you can see, I don't have it hard wired to the vehicle either, just a power cord to the A/C outlet that hides under the seat when not in use. The speaker is wire-tied in place (yea, kind of ghetto). I wanted to see if I liked it there so I was trying to find a temporary solution. It's been there for about 3 months now and hardly even moves, even when on the trail. I am considering just getting some black wire-ties and just using them for a permanent mounting solution.

As far a function is concerned, it is hard to hear without the external speaker connected, but with it, I can hear it great. I have really low SWR readings after install. Only really used it on a Jeep Jamboree this fall, but it worked great. I have no idea what kind of range I could get as we were all close together on the trail, but it was nice and clear.

post #17 of 18 Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
It's hard to beat the Tuffy for security and convenience...

Love the Tuffy Box idea. I also like what is in the Tuffy Box!!

Thanks for the pic
post #18 of 18 Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

Big fan
Do use an external speaker though

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode