what's the going rate on axles - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 11-08-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

what's the going rate on axles

for a D30/D44 combo with 5.13's and G2 covers? what do most people get for them?

i'm just wondering

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
JKO Addict!

FWIW - I got $750 for my D30/44. Completely stock and no brakes. Sold within a week of posting so it was a quick sale at that price.
post #3 of 44 Old 11-08-2010, 12:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Depends on location, if they are complete brake to brake you can get upwards of 3k in my area, the less included and or damaged and the less you get.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 11-08-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

wow so it's really all over the place... thanks guys

post #5 of 44 Old 11-08-2010, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What do you plan on doing?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #6 of 44 Old 11-08-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
What do you plan on doing?
Lol nick and I were planning next year... he wants 60s and I might buy his 44s...

post #7 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
wow so it's really all over the place... thanks guys
No problem. I may have priced mine low, but I priced them to move because I didn't want them laying around. A guy bought them for his TJ.
post #8 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

Very tempted to go currie f9 instead of 60's
My fiancée said If we have enough left over after the wedding I can buy axles

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #9 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
I hope you got that statement on tape!

Why not go with Solid. I live West of Pittsburgh and Solid Axle is an hour drive from Pittsburgh. Matt is a great guy and he will defiantly cut you a deal if you show up in person. I have been to his shop a couple of times when he did a HP 60 for my LJ.

Solid has some new stuff coming out in the next couple of months that should be bad ass and blow away the competition.
They are also doing 40 spline axles for dana 60’s.
post #10 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcally View Post
I hope you got that statement on tape!

Why not go with Solid. I live West of Pittsburgh and Solid Axle is an hour drive from Pittsburgh. Matt is a great guy and he will defiantly cut you a deal if you show up in person. I have been to his shop a couple of times when he did a HP 60 for my LJ.

Solid has some new stuff coming out in the next couple of months that should be bad ass and blow away the competition.
They are also doing 40 spline axles for dana 60’s.
No need to get it on tape she's awesome
Not to familiar with solid know a few of 2k2s buddies used to work for them
Just super intrigued with the currie f9
And the ground clearance
Will prob wait for the full float option

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #11 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Granite Guru

60/9 is a bad ass setup but expensive. If you are going with 9” center section and looking for clearance then you should do high pinion. Unfortunately Currie uses an 8.8 ring gear on their HP 9” third member and only warranty it up to 35” tires. Look at truehi9 third member they are really strong but expensive at $2,500 each with 35 spline ARB.
Check out spidertrax housings they are really nice and have some sweet options for outer components.

Jeff from Rokmen used spider 9’s on his LJ
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814697

Here are some pics of the spider 9 that I sent to Currie and had them weld on the C’s and brackets. This was before Currie offered a custom 9” housing. Their new 9” housing looks surprisingly close to the spider 9 housing. I never got to use the front housing because Currie butt welded the C’s on the housing and put them about a 1” to low. Long story short I got my money back from Currie and I have a heavy paper weight sitting in my basement.
Attached Images

post #12 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Matt and Steve took over the company from the old owner and they are great to deal with. In my opinion they build the best 60's out there.
post #13 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 05:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Very tempted to go currie f9 instead of 60's
You wont have any left over after a wedding.....those things are wallet destroyers.....but here's hoping for ya
post #14 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 05:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

how many times did i hear you say "I'd go with Dynatrac 60s If I ever upgraded my axles" ????
post #15 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
No need to get it on tape she's awesome
Just super intrigued with the currie f9
And the ground clearance
Will prob wait for the full float option

she is awesome... i'd have to say we both picked good women... any woman that can put up with our BS is awesome lol.

Chad worked there, and i think ventresco did too for a short period of time..., and Matt's a good guy. we go way back into the days where him and larry worked together. i've never had the $ to buy anything expensive enough from them where he could give me a deal lol.

the other option is buy whatever center section you want (whether it's a 9" or 60) and let matt peters from matt peters off road build them 1 off custom for your rig like he did for kelly's comp rig... hers has a solid HP44 center with 60 outers...

Gcally: we went wheeling with a guy on 35's with 9" axles and he didn't hit at all... meanwhile me on 40's and 1 tons scraped a bunch... it was pretty telling... then again my 14 bolt scrapes on EVERYTHING lol...

Ben: i think he means after the wedding with the gifts... with 125 people showing up to my wedding (and a lot of them being poor friends lol) we still ended up with around 6 grand... With a big italian wedding i bet nick gets pretty close... plus the money he gets for his D44's...

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 11-10-2010 at 05:30 PM.
post #16 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
how many times did i hear you say "I'd go with Dynatrac 60s If I ever upgraded my axles" ????
do you realize how often him and i change our minds about what we're doing with our rigs? if you were only privvy to the ridiculous amount of texts lol.

post #17 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
she is awesome... i'd have to say we both picked good women... any woman that can put up with our BS is awesome lol.
QFT!

Quote:
meanwhile me on 40's and 1 tons scraped a bunch... it was pretty telling... then again my 14 bolt scrapes on EVERYTHING lol...
Also true.....there are pictures.

Quote:
Ben: i think he means after the wedding with the gifts... with 125 people showing up to my wedding (and a lot of them being poor friends lol) we still ended up with around 6 grand... With a big italian wedding i bet nick gets pretty close... plus the money he gets for his D44's...
There's also stuff off the registery you didnt get or various other things. Depending on how the wedding was funded their may be other bills to pay etc. Just saying....I hope there's some money left for Nick to upgrade axles that'd be the bee's knees.

Quote:
do you realize how often him and i change our minds about what we're doing with our rigs? if you were only privvy to the ridiculous amount of texts lol.
I can only imagine. I know how often I change mine without as much goading as the two of you do to eachother....

Last edited by BenFoo; 11-10-2010 at 06:44 PM.
post #18 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
I can only imagine. I know how often I change mine without as much goading as the two of you do to eachother....
you should move closer... it'd be way more fun

post #19 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
60/9 is a bad ass setup but expensive. If you are going with 9” center section and looking for clearance then you should do high pinion. Unfortunately Currie uses an 8.8 ring gear on their HP 9” third member and only warranty it up to 35” tires. Look at truehi9 third member they are really strong but expensive at $2,500 each with 35 spline ARB.
Check out spidertrax housings they are really nice and have some sweet options for outer components.

Here are some pics of the spider 9 that I sent to Currie and had them weld on the C’s and brackets. This was before Currie offered a custom 9” housing. Their new 9” housing looks surprisingly close to the spider 9 housing. I never got to use the front housing because Currie butt welded the C’s on the housing and put them about a 1” to low. Long story short I got my money back from Currie and I have a heavy paper weight sitting in my basement.
wait, what did they do? how do you weld the C's on the housing wrong?

post #20 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 06:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you do wanna go with a rear HP9 I would also recommend the TrueHi9. Otherwise maybe D60s fullfloats with 8x6.5 bolt pattern?
post #21 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think a built set of 9s would bring the awesomeness much more. I've been talking with the guys at my local shop and he has me convinced on the Spider 9s. The Spidertrax axles are sweet, yo can get them with all 3/8 tube. Not sure what r&P they use and I know it was mentioned Currie's use the 8.8 so I'm assuming Spidertrax does as well. I'm still in the brainstorming process, but he worked up a price for me of about $6,000, pretty sure that was excluding labor but I can't be positive. He's the guy who did my gears for $300.

Heres the outline of what we worked up so far...

Spider 9 fabricated axles front and rear, 1 ton inner and outer knuckles, 5.13s, and ARB lockers, 35 spline cromoly inner and outer shafts with 1480 U Joints

And we are thinking about using a Currie high steer arm, and possibly the Currie heavy duty steering set up

This phase of my build is about a year or so out, so I've got time. I'm still working on finding permanent employment and a place to live that is closer to the city (Philadelphia). But until then, I've got plenty of time for my plan.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #22 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

So wait u have this axle sitting in your basement unusable? And define butt
weld?
Ur in beaver falls
I think i tried to buy bead locks off u then talked myself outta it.
I like the idea of he f9 but haven't seen a lot of them on jks
I'll check out the spider custom
Who knows how many times I'll change my mind before i jump in

Quote:

I think 4wd hardware should let u register for a wedding there just saying

Last edited by jeepnick; 11-10-2010 at 07:17 PM.
post #23 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Spider 9 fabricated axles front and rear, 1 ton inner and outer knuckles, 5.13s, and ARB lockers, 35 spline cromoly inner and outer shafts with 1480 U Joints
if he's going to stay 37/38's i think it's the way to go... plenty of clearance, plenty strong enough... even with 40's i think they'd be great... but if you're going 40's you'll have clearance for 60's... and i love me some 60's lol

post #24 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
you should move closer... it'd be way more fun
Yes Ben u should move closer

post #25 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Not sure what r&P they use and I know it was mentioned Currie's use the 8.8 so I'm assuming Spidertrax does as well.
with the F9s you have to buy a seperate 3rd member. Spidertrax and Currie is just the housing. So thats prob 6k for the housings/brackets/welding/labor/etc + another 4-6k for the 3rd member.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...58&p=1899.9500
"The only parts needed to complete this unit is a 9" high or low pinion 3rd. member, and assembly of the unit! Your JK's stock rotors, calipers, and caliper mounting brackets transfer over! This unit is 66" wide."

If you want to run HP in the rear, id suggest getting a real 9" with the larger 9" gear and extra pinion bearing like http://www.truehi9.com. 35spline Detroit with your choice of gearing is 2170.

I really wouldnt call it a "cheaper" alternative. Unless you run a different 3rd member, perhaps a JY rebuild or CL special...etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode