Ok so everyones talkin SNORKEL...but - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok so everyones talkin SNORKEL...but

So i see guys have Snorkels on their jeeps, i had one on my TJ, but can someone explain to me what this actualy protects you from....like i know it keeps your engine from sucking in water, but what about if your entire engine is submerged...So what im asking really is how do you waterproof your engine? Ive been told snorkels are useless unless everything else is water tight? Is that even possible? If so how much am i looking at puttin into it? Thanx everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Engine is water tight besides the intake. If a running engine ingests water it will hydrolock. 9 times out of 10. The other parts that are not water proof are the axles, trans, and transfer case. These all have breather tubes that can be extended to a higher point or inside the cab to keep water from going into them.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Granite Guru

What he said! The only suggestion that I can add is to put dialiectric grease on all of your electrical connections - water and electricity don't mix well.

JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
So someone thinks RDY4RKS' 6.1 hemi, solid axle, arb'd, atlas'd, long arm'd, 42'd jeep is cookie cutter? Fuck it. Im going outside and burning mine to dust. There is no hope.

Last edited by Red Rock; 11-07-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
What he said! The only suggestion that I can add is to put dialiectric grease on all of your electrical connections - water and electricity don't mix well.

JD
Dc electricity doesn't care too much. Corrosion is what you are after!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LER-27 View Post
So i see guys have Snorkels on their jeeps, i had one on my TJ, but can someone explain to me what this actualy protects you from....like i know it keeps your engine from sucking in water, but what about if your entire engine is submerged...So what im asking really is how do you waterproof your engine? Ive been told snorkels are useless unless everything else is water tight? Is that even possible? If so how much am i looking at puttin into it? Thanx everyone!
I guarantee that is coming from guys that are used to running distributors that crap out soon as they get wet, the jk does not have that problem. I've never done anything to mine except the snorkel and raised all my breathers. I've probably had mine in more water then everyone on here.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #6 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Rock God

Garage
Question propeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
I guarantee that is coming from guys that are used to running distributors that crap out soon as they get wet, the jk does not have that problem. I've never done anything to mine except the snorkel and raised all my breathers. I've probably had mine in more water then everyone on here.

Wow! I think you Win the water award! Have you considered just putting a propeller on the back?

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
Wow! I think you Win the water award! Have you considered just putting a propeller on the back?
Hahaaaa... No joke.

I got mine for peace of mind when traveling through water.... Don't plan on going all TK in it.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post

Just out of curiosity what tires are you using?
post #9 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Granite Guru

yeah i did that with my old xj discovered they float in 4 feet of water.. and in the long run i started having electrical problems push the window switch and the radio would turn off and on turn the engine off and the light but the lights would not turn off. and the smell from all the mud and water that was "in" the doors ahaha but i have to say the snorkel did what it was put on the jeep to do, it kept that 4.0 running... you are one crazy man to put a jk rubi unlimited through all that water in my eyes. unless you have all the money in the world and can afford to do so lol but i do like watching your videos they are bad ass reminds me off all the water crossing i did in the old xj i got rid of.
Dan
post #10 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Whether you need a snorkel at all depends on where you live and like to wheel.

If you live near the NJ Pine Barrens or the FL everglades, definitely get a snorkel.

If you live in California or Arizona, the snorkel just gets in the way in those tight rocky canyons.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Rock God

Its not about deep water you can fly thru a puddle and full your air box, the air intake is just in a bad spot. A snork is insurance, imo. Other people its a way of life, (you know who you are):beer

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
post #12 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post

If you live near the NJ Pine Barrens, the FL everglades, or Ocala in the dry season then definitely get a snorkel.

If you live in California or Arizona, the snorkel just gets in the way in those tight rocky canyons.
Running a pre-filter comes in handy for dusty trails too.

/

post #13 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

hell i want one just for the peace of mind running to work in the mornings, I backed out of the driveway last month and had water to the hubs. Rained its ass off and drainage in these flat states aint so great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
post #14 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Just out of curiosity what tires are you using?
BFG KM2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post

If you live near the NJ Pine Barrens or the FL everglades, definitely get a snorkel.

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector View Post
Its not about deep water you can fly thru a puddle and full your air box, the air intake is just in a bad spot. A snork is insurance, imo. Other people its a way of life, (you know who you are):beer
The problem with the air intake is more a problem with the serpentine belt, anyone that wheels in water or mud that comes up to the bottom crankshaft pulley can take a look at the inside of their hood and see a water line above the belt going from driver side to passenger side. That line generally ends right just a few inches from the stock airbox intake which is like a vacuum. IMO that along with a little to fast into puddles is why so many JK's have hydrolocked

Quote:

post #15 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Rock God

TK you think thats how its getting sucked in I allways thought it rolled in over the fender. Ive seen that sling line under the hood but never put 2&2 together. The wifes tag might say UNSUB but you are THESUB! Carry on sir! When it comes to wet feet you are the man!

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
post #16 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 04:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector View Post
TK you think thats how its getting sucked in I allways thought it rolled in over the fender. Ive seen that sling line under the hood but never put 2&2 together. The wifes tag might say UNSUB but you are THESUB! Carry on sir! When it comes to wet feet you are the man!
I've actually opened my hood before in water and seen the water shooting off the belt, besides all the lines across inside of hood, and just think of how fast the belt is turning. I do think some have been hydro'd from water over hood but it's a lot harder to get the water inside and under the hood from on top of it IMO.

Quote:

post #17 of 19 Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

When I first got my Rubi I put a Air Raid CAI on it, what a mistake. I own some unused farm land and drive through waist high weeds and deep muddy ruts.
My son a snorkel for me because of the mud, seeds, and stuff getting sucked into the air filter. We had to keep a spare filter because it would get clogged every time we went camping.

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
post #18 of 19 Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

There's lots of things to think about before going through water/mud over the hood. Yes you will probably be fine if you do it once and move on, but looking at those submarine pics makes me cringe... i don't know why you'd do that to such a new rig... I guess if you like cleaning...

we have a mud pit at jeepfest every year and i can't tell you how many JK's i see burning out their fans.

Also, you're never going to get it all out of everywhere. Mud is hell on seals, it clogs radiators and condensors, and it makes it suck to work on later... all the n00b's love mud but i hate it with everything in me....

Water... well... sometimes you just HAVE to cross a creek/river.... you don't have a choice. If you DO have a choice, don't do it. it's always risky to be in water that deep. seals in the doors can leak, if you forget a drain plug it comes in, that nice ECU right by your battery doesn't like water, the electronics behind the dash (right in front of the shifter) don't like water...

look what happened to that yellow jeep on the "other forum"... i think it was tonka or whatever. He killed his motor/tranny/electronics from doing stuff like that, and he had a snorkel.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #19 of 19 Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Also, you're never going to get it all out of everywhere. Mud is hell on seals, it clogs radiators and condensors, and it makes it suck to work on later... all the n00b's love mud but i hate it with everything in me....
HAHAHA, thats exactly how I feel; I let the "kids" play in the mud pits. After many years of dealing with it, the enjoyment wears off fast when you start dealing with the aftermath (short radiator/fan/electrical component/joint life, and the f'ing clean-up). I avoid mud when I can. I also feel the same way about car crushes; after spending a thousand in sliced sidewalls - the fun wears off quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode