jeep riding like crap after bb install????? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

jeep riding like crap after bb install?????

i just did a rubicon bb lift and am getting lot of shimmy in the steering wheel. is this normal? i have not had an alignment done after the lift. also, there is a weird noise when i go offroad and hit some ruts. sounds like something is rubbing but have no idea what it could be. is all this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 06:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Doesn't sound normal. Did you rotate the tires when you installed the lift, or even swap just the fronts?

You do not need an alignment after the lift, you may need to center your steering wheel at the drag link.

"weird noise" does nothing for internet diagnostics, have you looked to see if anything is rubbing?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 06:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

have you properly torqued everything?

your details are way to vague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Doesn't sound normal. Did you rotate the tires when you installed the lift, or even swap just the fronts?

You do not need an alignment after the lift, you may need to center your steering wheel at the drag link.

"weird noise" does nothing for internet diagnostics, have you looked to see if anything is rubbing?
FALSE

i put 1" pucks on my 08 sahara(on top of a 3.5 lift) and had to take it to get aligned. it was horrible and the ERM kept going off... glad i learned how to shut that pos off lol.

does the rubbing happen when your going straight, any bigger tires added, check the level of your sway bar. try those for now.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #5 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i do think the shimmy is from the alingment that is needed, but what are you talking about the level of the swaybar. thanks
post #6 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Granite Guru

How tall is the lift? Did you do anything with the front or rear trackbars?

Usually, you're supposed to re-torque after doing any lift after the first off-road trip or 500 miles.

Try re-torquing everything and check it out. Shouldn't need a alignment.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #7 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 07:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jk View Post
FALSE

i put 1" pucks on my 08 sahara(on top of a 3.5 lift) and had to take it to get aligned. it was horrible and the ERM kept going off... glad i learned how to shut that pos off lol.

does the rubbing happen when your going straight, any bigger tires added, check the level of your sway bar. try those for now.
Do you have adjustable control arms? If not what did they adjust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagueri View Post
i do think the shimmy is from the alingment that is needed, but what are you talking about the level of the swaybar. thanks
There is nothing to align on a bb lift. You have no adjustable control arms, the only thing adjustable is the toe in but I HIGHLY doubt you need to adjust that.

AGAIN did you properly torque everything when you did the lift?

the noise you are hearing when off road most likely is rubbing. What size tires did you put on? what size BB lift? Stock wheels or after market?

WE NEED MORE INFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #8 of 9 Old 11-06-2010, 07:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jk View Post
FALSE

FALSE because your steering wheel was off. Like I said to do, ("you may need to center your steering wheel at the drag link.") that takes about a minute and no sort of alignment machine or actual measurements?

The alignment did not adjust your caster unless you have adj control arms or cam bolts.
That will not throw the light.

The toe WILL NOT change with any sort of lift, due to the steel bar between the two tires that is never removed or loosened during the lift install.
That will not throw the light.

The camber is BUILT INTO the axle housing, unless you bent during the lift install (pretty much impossible), that will not be changed by a lift. It is adjusted by aftermarket ball joints, and some housings have too much camber from the factory..regardless..
That will not throw the light either.

The steering wheel is off because you raised the jeep over the axle, making the track bar "shorter". A off steering wheel will throw an ESP light because it thinks you are driving crooked all the time and it thinks something is wrong (and it is).

Still false? Sorry about that if I am, curious to hear why I'm still wrong though..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 11-06-2010 at 08:01 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-19-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

found it after 70mph death wobble

The lift just amplified the wobble that I didnt realize was there before. After it went into a wobble on the interstate the other day I remembered this happened 8 months ago without the lift just not as violent. I changed the steering stabilizer, tightened up the drag link that was just flopping, changed the pitman arm tie rod, and replaced all tires. My right front tire was severely out of round. Also a toe in adjustment was done. The jeep shook enough to rotated the left front coil until it hit the axle. If anyone has any problems and is in the beaumont,tx area call roland at beaumont frame and front end on washington st. Very helpful and honest. Not many people like that anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode