EMERGENCY QUESTION! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

EMERGENCY QUESTION!

When I step on my brakes mildly or even sometimes lightly my whole front end shakes like a bitch! I don't feel like going off the side of a mountain in NC. I need to get home to Buffalo by Monday. Anyone know what is going on???

07 JKU Rescue Green with 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex w/ Bilstein 5100s, 5.13's, Eaton E-Locker, 35" MT Baja ATZ, 17" DC Torque wheels, Monstalined tub, Home-made front bumper with Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Wild Boar rack w/ IPF 968 lights, K&N Intake, Gibson Exhaust.
Future Mods: 2wd-4wd conversion = completed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

how recent was your lift? has your tire pressure changed recently?

give all the info possible

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #3 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 06:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Death wobble? Check everything around the front track bar and tie rod, make sure they're all tight and torqued to spec. Tons of info here that should give you a place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joePILE View Post
how recent was your lift? has your tire pressure changed recently?

give all the info possible
Lift is 1 yr old. tire pressure is good. started my trip in Bradenton, Fl. and DW occurred/occurs only with braking. It started 600-700 miles into the trip. moderate to heavy braking caused it. Now if I step on brakes for too long or too hard it occurs.

Someone mentioned to me cracked rotor? What about brakes over heating/warped rotors? sticky caliper? loose brake pad? anything along these routes that would cause severe DW upon breaking?

07 JKU Rescue Green with 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex w/ Bilstein 5100s, 5.13's, Eaton E-Locker, 35" MT Baja ATZ, 17" DC Torque wheels, Monstalined tub, Home-made front bumper with Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Wild Boar rack w/ IPF 968 lights, K&N Intake, Gibson Exhaust.
post #5 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 06:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepRcreepR View Post
Lift is 1 yr old. tire pressure is good. started my trip in Bradenton, Fl. and DW occurred/occurs only with braking. It started 600-700 miles into the trip. moderate to heavy braking caused it. Now if I step on brakes for too long or too hard it occurs.

Someone mentioned to me cracked rotor? What about brakes over heating/warped rotors? sticky caliper? loose brake pad? anything along these routes that would cause severe DW upon breaking?

are you heading up 81? you in Asheville just for the night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #6 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

i would think warped rotor and possibly an out of alignment trackbar

respond to both threads, there were a lot more users on the other thread

Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #7 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
i would think warped rotor and possibly an out of alignment trackbar

respond to both threads, there were a lot more users on the other thread
yeah im surprised there are more people responding to the state/area thread. I saw one person on it and got real nervous and posted on here where everyone looks.

honorable mention: There is no pull to the left or to the right with braking just a whole lot of violent shaking.

My steering wheel never has sat straight after my lift. I took it back twice and my "JEEP" logo/word is always tilted ever so slightly and never horizontal.

I'll have this all looked at. the only place open in this area is a Walmart autocenter at 12 PM or wait til Monday for a dealership to open

post #8 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

steering wheel is an easy fix, we can adjust your track bar with a 15mm wrench.

has the jeep logo moved since the shake, that would lead me to think that your track bar is off

and

post #9 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
are you heading up 81? you in Asheville just for the night?
In asheville for the night. might be until monday depending on the seriousness of the issue.

post #10 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:

has the jeep logo moved since the shake, that would lead me to think that your track bar is off
Anyway to tell without driving. I mean I can turn the wheels straight but won't know if they are actually straight. I'll go out and have a looksy.

post #11 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

its the drag link that you adjust for the steering wheel not track bar

Quote:
Anyway to tell without driving. I mean I can turn the wheels straight but won't know if they are actually straight. I'll go out and have a looksy.
you have anyone with you? if you do have them sit in jeep and turn steering wheel back and forth while you look at the front end to see if anything is moving, really check out the track bar mounts and bolts.

have a jack with you? you can jack up each wheel and try to see if they move by pulling on them, grabbing top and bottom and seeing if they have movement also.

Quote:

post #12 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:08 PM
JKO Addict!

do you have any lights on on the dash? It could be a bad ball joint, tie rod end, a bad control arm bushing or a warped rotor as already mentioned.

|
|
post #13 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

sorry, tim is right drag link is to adjust the s wheel, damn nyquil

tim knows whats up he will be able to help better than i

and

post #14 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
its the drag link that you adjust for the steering wheel not track bar

you have anyone with you? if you do have them sit in jeep and turn steering wheel back and forth while you look at the front end to see if anything is moving, really check out the track bar mounts and bolts.

have a jack with you? you can jack up each wheel and try to see if they move by pulling on them, grabbing top and bottom and seeing if they have movement also.
Steering wheel seemed to be about right. again not sure without driving. I will have someone move the steering wheel as I inspect but not until the morning. I do have my tools with me just not a torque wrench. I have a piece of piping that allows me to get about 150lbs or so of torque with good leverage. should I try to torque the trackbar bolt? For what it's worth the track bar is a little rusty and it doesn't look like the bolts have even moved. by eye everything looks normal in the front. I'm gonna pull the tires off tomorrow and try to look more closely.

post #15 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
do you have any lights on on the dash? It could be a bad ball joint, tie rod end, a bad control arm bushing or a warped rotor as already mentioned.
I asked about lights no answer yet.

if you have someone turn the wheel for you make sure to look at ball joints also. Check all the bolts/nuts on the control arms to at least make sure they look tight.

did you notice any brake pad smell after you stopped? If rotor was warped they should be getting pretty hot and smelling.

how many miles on the jeep?

Quote:

post #16 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I asked about lights no answer yet.

if you have someone turn the wheel for you make sure to look at ball joints also. Check all the bolts/nuts on the control arms to at least make sure they look tight.

did you notice any brake pad smell after you stopped? If rotor was warped they should be getting pretty hot and smelling.

how many miles on the jeep?
Sorry must have posted the light thing on the other thread. No lights that I am aware of. I couldn't smell anything but I have the top on and windows up.
probably about 39,500 miles

Edit: Can I just get under there and start wrenching on all the nuts and bolts. There aren't any bolts that I have to watch over torquing, do I? no torque wrench just socket and piece of piping for leverage.

Last edited by jeepRcreepR; 11-06-2010 at 07:24 PM.
post #17 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Edit: Can I just get under there and start wrenching on all the nuts and bolts. There aren't any bolts that I have to watch over torquing, do I? no torque wrench just socket and piece of piping for leverage.
Well the track bar is the only thing I think of that you have to crank down on really tight, plus the drag link, tie rod ends and ball joints all have cotter pins holding the nuts

How many miles on the front brakes?

Any noise coming from front end when the shaking happens?

Quote:

post #18 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Well the track bar is the only thing I think of that you have to crank down on really tight, plus the drag link, tie rod ends and ball joints all have cotter pins holding the nuts

How many miles on the front brakes?

Any noise coming from front end when the shaking happens?
I bought the car at 26K and I believe they only replaced the rear brakes and maybe rotors. I don't think they ever replaced the fronts. so 39,500.

My Ma described it as how a car sounds when you blow tires and/or like wheels are coming off. She also agreed that it sounded like if you drove over rumble strips but more of a low tone version/ like if the rumble strips were spaced out a little more.

post #19 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

might be a brainless suggestion, did you check all your lugs?

and

post #20 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
might be a brainless suggestion, did you check all your lugs?
Ohh yeah lugs are good and tight. I made that mistake once and will never do it again. I double check and then double check again. tire would have came off by now. I'm glad there on good and tight or they would have flown off during the violent DW.

post #21 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

ok just checking

and

post #22 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Steering wheel seemed to be about right. again not sure without driving. I will have someone move the steering wheel as I inspect but not until the morning. I do have my tools with me just not a torque wrench. I have a piece of piping that allows me to get about 150lbs or so of torque with good leverage. should I try to torque the trackbar bolt? For what it's worth the track bar is a little rusty and it doesn't look like the bolts have even moved. by eye everything looks normal in the front. I'm gonna pull the tires off tomorrow and try to look more closely.

Since you're gonna pull the tires off I assume that means you have a way to jack up the front end... before you pull the tire off, use it as a lever and try to tilt it up and down vertically, to see if there's any play in the joints or the hubs. do the same thing side to side. This should give you an idea if there's any play and may or may not help you diagnose. then pull the wheel off...inspect the ball joints, tie rod, knuckles, etc. How old is your steering stabilizer? If its bad it might amplify any other issues. Also you might check your tires to see if they're balanced. if a weight came off it might cause some shaking as well.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #23 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks everyone for the help. I made a list of things to check. All else fails I'll just drive slow. I'm actually hoping to be on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville by 10 AM. I hope the flurries hold off and the Jeep stops acting like a dick because I have some photos to snap and a nice bed waiting for me in Buffalo!!

post #24 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would crank those track bar bolts make sure they are very tight. Did you jack the Jeep up and try to move the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position checking the play in the ball joints?

Rock Krawler, Poison Spyder, Rigid Industries, Currie and more.

OR CALL 813.361.0869

post #25 of 35 Old 11-06-2010, 10:27 PM
VKS Fab

When you let off the brakes does the shake go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode