First Winter Coming... Does the Soft Top Hold Snow Okay? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 reviews
First Winter Coming... Does the Soft Top Hold Snow Okay?

Ok, so I have never owned a convertible or a Jeep with a soft top before this year. I am a bit concerned about the weight of snow on the soft top.

Last year we got over 2 feet of snow in one storm. It set a 100+ year standing record. Now, originally I am from New England, so snow doesn't trouble me, but what are the experiences of others?

I see how much the fabric moves just with wind while I am driving. The poles for the bonnet feel kinda thin too. I don't feel like it would hold much weight at all, so I am really giving some thought to buying a used hard top for the winter months.

Should I hunt down a used hard top or are these rag tops ok with some snow on them? If I let the snow pile 8" - 9" deep on the soft top while I am sleeping, am I going to need a new top?

Thanks,
Spaz
marcspaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 AM
JKO Addict!
 
riverzendz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MD
Age: 40
Posts: 2,011
Feedback: 1 reviews

Had over a foot on mine more than once last year. No problems.

Probably not great for it and I cleared it off right away but it held.
riverzendz is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Granite Guru
 
redcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Age: 54
Posts: 230
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Living in Minnesota, I would clear that off before it got a foot deep if you can. But certainly not let it get any deeper than that.

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.militaryjeepers.com
redcat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Granite Guru
 
Grant_T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Albert, AB
Posts: 230
Feedback: 0 reviews

I had my Jeep parked at an airport last winter and there was a fairly wet/heavy snowfall sitting on top for a few days while I was away. I noticed that the weight had stretched the top slightly and pulled out the sides a bit so when I was driving home there was some flapping (that's when I noticed it).

After a good wash, I release the top and let it sit relaxed for a day. It pulled back into shape. No ill effects though from it sitting with weight on for a few days...and I assume you would not let it sit that long on yours.

G
Grant_T is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 reviews

Awesome... Thanks for the feedback. I would not let it sit for more than what builds up while I am sleeping. I appreciate the good info.

Spaz
marcspaz is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Granite Guru
 
LER-27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 158
Feedback: 0 reviews

Did he say "Bonnet"? hahahaha



You'll be fine!!!! Ive had well over a foot on mine, the canvas will be tight from the below zero temps and the BONNET will take the weight no problem haha that's awesome.
LER-27 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LER-27 View Post
Did he say "Bonnet"? hahahaha



You'll be fine!!!! Ive had well over a foot on mine, the canvas will be tight from the below zero temps and the BONNET will take the weight no problem haha that's awesome.
Cool, I appreciate it. Now for a quick history lesson.

A Scottish Bonnet (or French Bonet) first came about in the 14th centry and was a brimless mens hat. As automobiles became introduced into the world, right up to about the end of the 1940's, temporary coverings such as hoods, trunk lids, and removable cloth tops for the passanger area (and associated mounting hardware) were referred to as a bonnet because it resembled the head dress in design and function. Even today, many European auto makers still use this term for their vehicles.

Also, Chrysler / Jeep actually still officially calls the hood (over the engine) a bonnet. Chrysler openly markets bonnet covers, bonnet protectors, and bonnet locks for what is commonly called a hood. They also sell accessory soft tops called Wind Bonnets and Sun Bonnets marketed as MOPAR parts.

I figured it was suiting for the coversation. Besides, when else could I ever get away with using the word? LOL
marcspaz is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Granite Guru
 
LER-27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 158
Feedback: 0 reviews

Haha hey cheers to that! I'm from Canada so all I hear is the typical "Hows it going EH?" most of the time haha, it's the only country that can turn a statement into a question!!! So it's a nice change!! And that's awesome to hear that "Bonnet" is infact politicaly correct! Learn something new every day...EH?
LER-27 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-07-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LER-27 View Post
Haha hey cheers to that! I'm from Canada so all I hear is the typical "Hows it going EH?" most of the time haha, it's the only country that can turn a statement into a question!!! So it's a nice change!! And that's awesome to hear that "Bonnet" is infact politicaly correct! Learn something new every day...EH?
LOL I hear that!
marcspaz is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 148
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
Cool, I appreciate it. Now for a quick history lesson.

A Scottish Bonnet (or French Bonet) first came about in the 14th centry and was a brimless mens hat. As automobiles became introduced into the world, right up to about the end of the 1940's, temporary coverings such as hoods, trunk lids, and removable cloth tops for the passanger area (and associated mounting hardware) were referred to as a bonnet because it resembled the head dress in design and function. Even today, many European auto makers still use this term for their vehicles.

Also, Chrysler / Jeep actually still officially calls the hood (over the engine) a bonnet. Chrysler openly markets bonnet covers, bonnet protectors, and bonnet locks for what is commonly called a hood. They also sell accessory soft tops called Wind Bonnets and Sun Bonnets marketed as MOPAR parts.

I figured it was suiting for the coversation. Besides, when else could I ever get away with using the word? LOL

Thanks Cliff Clavin

Last edited by PmedicJ; 05-31-2011 at 09:04 PM.
PmedicJ is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 11-07-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 reviews

OMG! I am Cliff Clavin...




oh. wait... drinks a lot of beer and works for the government? Never mind, I'll take it. LOL
marcspaz is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 57
Posts: 1
Feedback: 0 reviews

I bought one of these for my '07 2-door, makes my soft top quieter in the summer too.

http://www.skidplates.com/TopProp.asp
comstockfire is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 11-09-2010, 02:34 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Hittnthebz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,851
Feedback: 0 reviews

^^^I was getting ready to recommend that too!
Hittnthebz is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 reviews

That looks cool. I appreciate the heads up on that. I might order one.
marcspaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome