Painted Hard Top - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Painted Hard Top

So this morning while fixing a Virus on one of the attorney's computer. I'm looking out the window and notice a silver Unlimited Sport pull into the lot with the matching hard top. Only thing was, the top of the hardtop was still black. Is this the way they're coming or do you think this was a custom job?

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

Definitely a custom job.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Wheeler

if it is new they are painting them to match now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Painted Hard top = Waste of Money.
But then I think the painted flares are a waste of money too since it is something I don't keep.
Fine for a mall crawler but so much more expensive to "repair" if you go off road anywhere but wide open sand dunes.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Not interested in one, was just curious if the painted tops were black on the top... Actually mine is matching because I have a black JK.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I know there are alot of people that don't like the painted hard top option but that is why they make different ones for different people. The only painted hardtop jk's I've seen is the sahara tan one on the website and custom jobs people on here have done. I know there are several people on here that have already purchased 2011's. I'm just curious if anyone has gotten the painted hard top option and if so I would like to see some pics in different colors. Thanks.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Rock God

Garage
Smile I like mine

I have an 08, but I sure like having the top painted to match my white jeep. It stays much cooler this way.
Attached Images

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Wheeler

That looks really nice.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Rock God

Correct. The 2011 JK's Sahara's now have the option to have the hardtop painted to match, but only the Sahara's. On my 2010 Rubicon, I had the dealer paint my hardtop to match and I really liked it. I just picked up my 2011 Rubicon and I plan to have it painted too.

Ben

Ben Hedrick
Projects:
2011 6.4L VVT SRT8 HEMI Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 6.1L SRT HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon
2007 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara
2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2003 6.4L Stroker HEMI Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2014 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon eXpedition Jeep

post #10 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Wheeler

Garage

That looks sweet in silver. I like the painted hard top on some jeeps thats why I wanted to see some more all I've seen is the whites and sahara tan.
post #11 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM

Just picked up our '11 Sahara Unlimited with ptm top... I like it...

post #12 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 PM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
I have an 08, but I sure like having the top painted to match my white jeep. It stays much cooler this way.
You white Jeep looks great with the top painted to match. I want to do this before next summer. My Jeep is white also.

I like some colors painted to match but not others. White most of all. Also, my personal preference is for the fenders to be unpainted.

To the poster about trail damage to the painted top. Nothing could be worse than how it comes from the factory. The top is white under the black paint. Look at it crossly and it scratches. A good prep then paint job should be tougher than the factory finish.

JPK
post #13 of 23 Old 11-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Wheeler

Yep. You can buff out scratches to paint with clear coat.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Green painted to match looks pretty sweet congrats on the new ride.
post #15 of 23 Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Rock God

I saw a Rock Red (I believe), 2011 Sahara Unlimited, with the painted to and flares and I actually thought it looked pretty sweet. This one also had the bumper center trim in red too. Not sure if that was OEM or custom though, nice touch to all the other painted pieces, IMO.

2012 JKUR Bright White - Ordered 2-1-2012, Built 3-7-2012, Arrived 3-9-2012, Picked Up 3-10-12
post #16 of 23 Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

[QUOTE=mickeymeanie;585261]Just picked up our '11 Sahara Unlimited with ptm top... I like it...

I like the Green... looks great with the matching top!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #17 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymeanie View Post
Just picked up our '11 Sahara Unlimited with ptm top... I like it...

BE CAREFUL MAN! I would cry if that thing got muddy or scratched up.

Seriously though, it looks great! I just couldn't see wheelin it.
My 4 year old duaghter just knocked one of my freedom top panels
out of the jeep on to the pavement. Lil sanding and black spray and
you cant even tell. So... good luck to all the painted top guys.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like some if the ptm tops. If nothing else it might keep the top from turning into a griddle during the summer. I swear I could have cooked pancakes on mine during summer of 09.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #19 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Wheeler

Now I'm thinkin' bacon.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-16-2010, 05:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I was debating this, but I think I'm leaning towards Line-X and a pair of Roto-Pax window mounts.

/

post #21 of 23 Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Can anyone tell me if the ptm top is the same as a standard freedom top in terms of construction/material? The standard top is textured, so just wondering if that's sanded out before painting, or if the ptm top comes smooth from the factory?
post #22 of 23 Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockj12 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the ptm top is the same as a standard freedom top in terms of construction/material? The standard top is textured, so just wondering if that's sanded out before painting, or if the ptm top comes smooth from the factory?
I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is smooth from the factory. I do know ours was delayed due to issues with the paint cracking due to flexing of the top. This was supposedly resolved (fingers crossed), but I don't know if the solution was a different top build or a change to the application of the paint.

I can tell you that the top is pretty heavy. I suspect heavier than the standard (non PTM) top due to the paint and clear coat. The interior appears to be identitcal to the regular tops though...
post #23 of 23 Old 11-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymeanie View Post
I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is smooth from the factory. I do know ours was delayed due to issues with the paint cracking due to flexing of the top. This was supposedly resolved (fingers crossed), but I don't know if the solution was a different top build or a change to the application of the paint.
My top flexes like crazy. I hope they did something different, for your sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
I was debating this, but I think I'm leaning towards Line-X and a pair of Roto-Pax window mounts.
That's what I plan on doing as well. I already have the flares Line-X'd, so it'll tie together. But I've already painted the center top of mine white. I'll have them go around that too.

tehiv
'14 Copperhead JKUR
'14 White WK2 Overland

formerly: 98 TJ | 97 XJ | 05 TJ | 01 WJ | 07 JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode