Please help me decide... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Please help me decide...

Well, my wife told me to write down my thoughts so when I start flip-flopping I have record. What better place to post such a list!

Still trying to find the right JK. Had a TJ Rubicon and sold it for a wagon. Now I want back.

I need:
4 doors (for kids and dogs)
Hard top (for kids and cheaper than getting one aftermarket)
Manual (wish I had this in my TJ, and I don't like the hefty price tag of AT maintenance)
Tow package

I want:
a lot!
Rubicon (gearing and options like lockers)
no painted fenders (black plastic only)
dual top option
nav
power windows/locks
lifted
rescue green

Concerns:
There's a dealership nearby that has a wet dream for a lot (http://www.dealerstrade.com/). They have a lot of built JK's already. I'm concerned that most of them have 35"+ tires on them and are automatic. I just don't see the JK with it's underpowered engine and no gear swap toting around all that rubber. I want it lifted, but want to tow as well. Here's why I think a Rubi would be better. With the stock 4.11 gears and a manual transmission, it should be able to tow even with 35's on 'er. But I give up miles! A Rubicon will have 75,000 miles at my $22k price range.

I am spoiled with my Magnum having NAV, Power everything, and heated seats. I guess I could give up the NAV, but what about the power options?

Another reason for getting one already built is my wife. She won't let me spend money on a stock model to build it up. :/

In short:
lifted or stock?
rubi with miles, or x with less?
will a manual tranny keep up with 35" tires and towing?
will the automatic be a better option?
can i live with no power options?

That's where I am now.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by importmonkey View Post
lifted or stock?
I prefer stock so that you can install the lift you want and know it's done properly. However, if wife is saying NO to doing it yourself, then get one with a good lift - make sure it has all the required suspension modifications to keep suspension and steering geometry correct (e.g. adj trackbars, adj control arms, brackets, extended brake lines, bump stops, longer sway bar links, etc.). All too often, dealers just lift a Jeep to make it look good sitting on the lot, but don't take these things into consideration.

Quote:
rubi with miles, or x with less?
If you want lockers and D44 axles, Rubicon's the way to go. Especially if the wife doesn't want you to build up a Jeep. A D44 will hold up to 35s much better than a D30. Miles are no big deal. Besides, if the engine goes, swap it with a Hemi!

Quote:
will a manual tranny keep up with 35" tires and towing?
Absolutely. Manual transmission is the way to go. I have 35s on stock Rubi gears and have been perfectly satisfied. I've towed small stuff (<2,000lbs) like small boats, PWCs, etc. and haven't had any trouble.

Quote:
will the automatic be a better option?
No. See above comment. If you get an automatic with 35s, you will want to re-gear. Some programmers will help with adjusting shift points and getting the powerband better aligned with shift points, but re-gearing will eventually happen. Besides, I find autos boring, but that's a personal choice.

Quote:
can i live with no power options?
You can live without power options, but it's nice to have power windows for the rear doors - especially with small kids. If you get the Rubicon model, I think it comes with all the power options (windows and locks).

Seems like you generally know what you are looking for, just need to find it. Be patient and don't make an emotional purchase. There are plenty of good used JKs out there. Spend some time on the forums and learn about what to look for in a lift and what questions to ask the dealer.

Also, don't be afraid to take pictures of the undercarriage and lift components with your cell phone and post them up here for comments. I've seen that happen a time or two. Let us help. Good luck.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #3 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

http://www.dealerstrade.com/detail-2...d-6158393.html

You can still add your touch to it as in bumpers etc... but the lift is good, gears are good etc...

And BTW i run an automatic with 35's and it's not that bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Granite Guru

Seems like you need a Rubicon! I'm sure if you did find the rig you wanted, and it didnt have a lift, you could probably barter with the sales person at the stealership and throw on a Mopar lift either for free or add to the financing. My buddy bought a Rubi Unlimited and built it at the dealership...they will order any lift you want, not just Mopar, and wheels & rubber. Unless your willing to invest a ton of money in a bare bones X, then I wouldn't waist my time and just pull the trigger on the Rubicon. Definitly, without a doubt manual transmission, preferably with power package! And hey depending on your bartering skills, maybe you could get them to throw in a NAV for free to sweeten the deal! Ive seen it done...up here in Canada anyways. Goodluck and don't settle!!! You'll regret it! Cheers!
post #5 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post

You can still add your touch to it as in bumpers etc... but the lift is good, gears are good etc...

it sure is pretty, but a little out of my price range. ($22k)
post #6 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks Taxman.

I keep going back to this one.

Seems to have everything I need and want (minus the lift). It's just a little too far away for me to see it. Anyone in TX want to help me out? I'm in Lorton, VA. Shipping would probably $1,000 and flying there to drive it home would probably be the same. The miles scare me a bit, 'cause this will be my DD for many years (hopefully) but I wouldn't mind going the HEMI option in the future (especially after having one in the Magnum). I think I could do a modest BB lift for under $1,000 (with the money I've got squirreled away).

If anyone could chime in who has 35" tires, manual transmission, and tow package to let me know how she does towing, that would be great. I'm wondering if the 3.73 (i think) gears would be sufficient or if the 4.11 gears are necessary.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Thanks Taxman.

If anyone could chime in who has 35" tires, manual transmission, and tow package to let me know how she does towing, that would be great. I'm wondering if the 3.73 (i think) gears would be sufficient or if the 4.11 gears are necessary.
No problem. Glad to help. I'm sure someone in TX will help you out. 3.73s might do it if you have a manual transmission, but obviously the 4.11s are better. Check out this chart for gear ratios:

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #8 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

awesome! thanks for that!
post #9 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

I have 4.10s a six speed and 35s. Only thing ive towed was a flat tow yj on 35s. Which wasn't too bad. It will tow a light load just fine. Beauty of picking your gear

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Garage
Smile Rubi With Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post

I also have a 4 door Rubi with Auto. I have 34.1 MTR's and no issues. I tow with it. I just turn off the OD when towing.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

I like the one you keep going back too, as it seems pretty stock. I wouldn't buy a lifted one, even from a dealer. I mean, all of ours are lifted....If I sold mine I wouldnt tell the buyer EVERYTHING I did innit ya know, lol.

Im very much holding back in this thread.

Rock Krawler . Bilstein . BFG . HiLift . Aeroforce . BnM . Mobil1 . Mopar . Viair

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #12 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebigh View Post
Im very much holding back in this thread.
do tell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode