thinking about mounting the spare inside - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
thinking about mounting the spare inside

who has done it and what do you think? i only have a 2 door so the back seat would have to go. looking for some kind of mount ideas. i might make a triangle pod mount almost like a really low camera stand and mount the spare to it, just an idea but i really like the look of no spare on the back so im really considering mounting it inside. if anyone has pics post them please

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #3 of 22 Old 11-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I think its a cool idea but I'm gonna wait till my JK is a dedicated trail rig. With the top up and all zipped up it'll smell like rubber inside.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

2 door with 35" mounted in back. Then I made a platform that is anchored with ratchet straps to the tub. On that I mount my tool box, 2 dry boxes, and on top of the tire goes a cooler....all of which is securely ratchet-strapped to stay in place on the trial.
Attached Images

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Wheeler

Been there. Stinky.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Rock God

Is it realy that bad? Do you think a tire cover would hold in the funky tire smell
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredX View Post
Been there. Stinky.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeps & Guns View Post
Is it realy that bad? Do you think a tire cover would hold in the funky tire smell
Smell? What smell? Doesn't bring the stink in the least imo. I guess if your spare is covered in gumbo-mud, dog shit, etc. But besides a faint smell of rubber (with the top and doors on) I've never smelled anything unbearable from having my spare inside. Keeps it clean and out of the elements too- sun exposure, etc.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had mine inside (2dr) for a while. The back seat anchor spots are perfect to hold your ratchet strap hooks. It was nothing like stubs^^^^ cool setup, but didnt move at all. It made the jeep smell like rubber a little bit, but thats better than the "other" smell that was in there. And it went away after like a week.

Rock Krawler . Bilstein . BFG . HiLift . Aeroforce . BnM . Mobil1 . Mopar . Viair

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #9 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

thanks for all the replies. tire is mounted in the rear as of now with a few ratchet straps. going to try it for a week and if i like it im leaving it and ordering a tramp stamp

does anyone have solutions for third brake light and license plate light if i relocate it to the center???

o and does anyone make plugs for the holes in the back where the rubber stops used to be?

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #10 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I ditched my 3rd brake light- but there are some small aftermkt brake lights avail.

I picked up a cheapie license-plate light from Auto Zone (could only find chrome), painted it black, and mounted it to a steel plate that ties into the existing carrier bolt holes on the tailgate- utilizing the factory bolts. Just used some plastic spacers (about 1 1/2") to clear the factory vent cover. Tapped into the factory license plate light wires and ran them through the inside of the tailgate, under the tailgate seal, over to the drive side. I think I pulled back the carpet to run the wires through an already factory hole where the rear hard-top washer/ defrost harness comes out of the tub. It's clean- no exposed wiring. Looks factory.
Attached Images

Last edited by StubEXrube; 11-02-2010 at 09:21 PM.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 08:38 PM
JKowners Vendor

We moved Lika's spare in doors, 38"s and all.
post #12 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I plan on building some kind of trail/gear cage and mounting it on top of that in the rear of mine.

Jeeps weren't made to smell good either...damn pansies!

post #13 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

do a search for suffolk jk's set up.

ill see if i can find it.

edit : this is what i was talking about

here a thread to other mounts inside

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread...ht=tire+inside

Last edited by BBirish; 11-02-2010 at 08:57 PM.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Rock God

That's my setup. Doesn't smell one bit.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #15 of 22 Old 11-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Granite Guru

bbirish does the rear bench still fit?
post #16 of 22 Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rubicon View Post
bbirish does the rear bench still fit?
its suffolk jk's set up

i doubt it would still fit. he has the back seat removed and a tool box in its place as you can see in the pic.
post #17 of 22 Old 11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Wheeler

Of the 3 people I know who have mounted the tire inside, none left it there. They all went on to plan B.

No matter what the tough people claim, after your Jeep sits in the sun it will stink like tire.
post #18 of 22 Old 11-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Rock God

I like StubEXRube's platform. In fact, I like it so much I may imitate it to tie down my toolbox and extras as I haven't come up with a real great way to do so yet. I think that concept and the one I saw on the forum where the guy cut up a rear 2dr seat and made a whole harness/bracket setup for the spare and "now" 1/2 seat were the best options if you want to run with the spare inside. When I trail ride, I just require too much extra cargo space (tools, tent, camping gear, etc) for the spare to come along inside.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #19 of 22 Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredX View Post
Of the 3 people I know who have mounted the tire inside, none left it there. They all went on to plan B.

No matter what the tough people claim, after your Jeep sits in the sun it will stink like tire.
Either:

A) Goodyear installed some type of rubber-smell repelant

or

B) Having the bikini on all summer, the outside air throws the rubber smell out

I don't fucking smell rubber tire in the JK...even now with the fucking top and windows back on. I don't get why people want to tell me otherwise on what I'm smelling in my JK.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #20 of 22 Old 11-05-2010, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

If you have an on board air system you can consider not running a spare. Saves mucho weight and helps with rig balance. Most good off road tires have strong enough sidewalls a rip is unlikely. Carry plenty of plugs and you'll be covered. Ran my former YJ trail rig that way for five years and never missed the spare.

The JK's extended frame at the rear can provide some interesting bumper options if you eliminate the need for a spare tie carrier. I've been looking for someone to do an XJ-type simple cover for the frame extension and a CJ-style fold down tailgate.
post #21 of 22 Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post
Either:

A) Goodyear installed some type of rubber-smell repelant

or

B) Having the bikini on all summer, the outside air throws the rubber smell out

I don't fucking smell rubber tire in the JK...even now with the fucking top and windows back on. I don't get why people want to tell me otherwise on what I'm smelling in my JK.
Easy there. No need to get all worked up. No ones telling you what you smell. Just listing some real world feedback.
post #22 of 22 Old 11-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcc687 View Post
who has done it and what do you think? i only have a 2 door so the back seat would have to go. looking for some kind of mount ideas. i might make a triangle pod mount almost like a really low camera stand and mount the spare to it, just an idea but i really like the look of no spare on the back so im really considering mounting it inside. if anyone has pics post them please

Been there done that!

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36549

Done a few improvements since I first posted, replaced the washers in the wheel well with a plate. Been a few months now, no issues.

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode