Larger lift, bigger issues? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Larger lift, bigger issues?

Hey Guys and Gals!

Right now I have a 1.25" Body lift and a 1.75" spacer lift, everything is working fine and dandy.

I was thinking about ditching the coil spacers and going with Rusty's 3.25 coils and trackbar set up. But keeping the Body lift.

My question is will I need to change anything else? What about the drive shafts, can stock shafts handle 3.25" of lift without damage? What about steering, with the BL and the coils it would be 4.5" I'm thinking thats not going to be good for the steering column, and other parts!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-30-2010, 06:15 PM
JKO Addict!

most of the kits out there that are under 4" dont require any changes..ie...driveshafts unless you are running a long arm kit

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Granite Guru

You should be okay. Most +3"ers do fine, at least for awhile, without upgrading the front driveshaft.

If you do go this route, just prepare to have the cash for a spare driveshaft. 5000 miles seems to be the magic number. Keep an eye on the driveshaft boot.

I can't comment on the steering, but I'm certain you'll want an adjustable trackbar at that size of lift.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Rock God

if you have the JKU then your good, i have 4.5" on mine right now and only the slightest vibration at 65-70 mph and is gone. if i were you, ditch the body lift and keep the coil spacers. i have 1" coil spacers and it still flexes like crazy. and coil spacers are still like a suspension lift and dont raise the tub off the frame.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 10-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Rock God

2nd time I disconnected, Ripped my Drive Shaft Boot...

If you have a two door with 3" of lift (even w/ 2.5" of lift you can encounter and expect driveshaft upgrade), automatic, disconnect when out on the trail, and possibly long travel shocks or even regular shocks for that matter, you WILL loose your front drive shaft. I promise you that.

oh, and the evidence.

post #6 of 6 Old 11-01-2010, 10:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron View Post
Hey Guys and Gals!

Right now I have a 1.25" Body lift and a 1.75" spacer lift, everything is working fine and dandy.

I was thinking about ditching the coil spacers and going with Rusty's 3.25 coils and trackbar set up. But keeping the Body lift.

My question is will I need to change anything else? What about the drive shafts, can stock shafts handle 3.25" of lift without damage? What about steering, with the BL and the coils it would be 4.5" I'm thinking thats not going to be good for the steering column, and other parts!
x2 on getting rid of the body lift. No benefit there. Flat flares could give you extra clearance and you don't have any of the troubles associated with BL's.

Next items on your list will be control arms, driveshafts, and rear trackbar (if Rusty's doesn't include already). Don't buy right away, only out of necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
Looks like you got caught up with the wrong crowd there ese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode