Hillside Brake Assist - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to TAC_260
Hillside Brake Assist

Is there some way to disable this?

I can see where it comes in handy on trails, but for normal day in and day out driving it sucks! I don't know what kind of Mental Masturbation the engineers were doing to make them think this is a good thing to leave on all the time, but a cut-off switch or bypass would have been nice.

I have a steep driveway and backing into my garage to hoist my hardtop off sucks with this "Feature". I stall the engine because of this at least twice a week...after driving 20+ years without it, it is hard to get use to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
It was a MULE...not a donkey.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
And I'm pretty sure that the rash will go away soon enough. Doc gave me some expired vet medicine.
2010 Black Rubicon Unlimited - 6 spd
Hardtop, MOPAR Off-Road Rear Bump w/ Tire, RC 3.25" Lift, LoD Sliders, Woods SS Relo Brkt,
Cobra 25 LED, Wilson Flex 4

Last edited by TAC_260; 10-29-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Should be in the owners manual for the disable. I use 4low if I need to back up something steep.(yes on dry pavement) Zero clutch slippage.

I'm fine with it. It's very predictable since the brake pedal firms up on daily driving. It's very nice on the trail.

I would say the easiest way to make a disable for it for your situation would be to put the reverse input on a toggle. It won't let it roll forward in reverse, so cut that input and it will let i roll forward in reverse

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Wheeler

I like the HSA feature. I think finding 6th gear and reverse is more painful than the HSA feature.

Perhaps you would have second thoughts if you didn't live in Kansas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok...I guess I should re-phrase my question. My HSB works great in 4L, it prevents the Jeep from rolling backwards if in a fwd gear and visa-versa. The problem is in 2H, the break just holds way to long. If I stop on a hill and try to take off again that damn break is still holding preventing me from moving ... unless I want to smoke my clutch. It won't release instantly like it does in 4L.

I've driven a stick for the past 30 years...for normal everyday driving, I don't need help from this feature.

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure that the rash will go away soon enough. Doc gave me some expired vet medicine.
Hardtop, MOPAR Off-Road Rear Bump w/ Tire, RC 3.25" Lift, LoD Sliders, Woods SS Relo Brkt,
post #5 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC_260 View Post
Ok...I guess I should re-phrase my question. My HSB works great in 4L, it prevents the Jeep from rolling backwards if in a fwd gear and visa-versa. The problem is in 2H, the break just holds way to long. If I stop on a hill and try to take off again that damn break is still holding preventing me from moving ... unless I want to smoke my clutch. It won't release instantly like it does in 4L.

I've driven a stick for the past 30 years...for normal everyday driving, I don't need help from this feature.
No need to smoke the clutch, it just needs to see forward motion. I give a little rpm and more of a 'pop' when i let go of the clutch and go.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
No need to smoke the clutch, it just needs to see forward motion. I give a little rpm and more of a 'pop' when i let go of the clutch and go.
nope...that's the way it works in 4L, but in 2H it continues to hold for the 3 to 5 seconds. I guess I should have the stealership have a look at it.

Quote:
post #7 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MancationJEEP View Post
Perhaps you would have second thoughts if you didn't live in Kansas.
Well ya know...some of the ramps at the MALL are pretty steep.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode