DIY Fabrication area - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

DIY Fabrication area

Hey Mods,

Would it be possible to to open up a DIY FAB section on the boards for us who do our own metal fabbing etc??? Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 12:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

sounds good to me id read it

www.jeepasylum.com
post #3 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah I'd like to see that too

If Lance doesn't notice (which I'm sure he will) you can always suggest it here:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1762

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

Would be a very cool section for mods built not bought.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #5 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Granite Guru

I think it would be great. I'm trying to go more of the DIY route on everything. Slowly amassing the tools. I need all the tips I can find on metal fab.

If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.
post #6 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to JKBully

Sign me up!
post #7 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_engle View Post
Hey Mods,

Would it be possible to to open up a DIY FAB section on the boards for us who do our own metal fabbing etc??? Just a thought.
I like it. Great idea.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #8 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_engle View Post
Hey Mods,

That would be awsome. I'd like to read other people's ideas. Plus with the price of everything going up, who wouldn't like to save a little cash!?
post #9 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Glad it is catching on. I think it is needed and I tend to think most of us would share our plans and what not to help others out. Also I have an old singer sewing machine that I used to make a bikini top with. I got a good deal on a roll of black codura nylon
post #10 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Rock God

Good IDEA! I just need a welder!!

Lifted by
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

post #11 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

For the price you pay for a set of good rocker guards or bumper you can buy a good mig welder that can weld up to 1/2 inch steel. You can find steel for a good price if you are willing to go get.
post #12 of 25 Old 10-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Granite Guru

Would love to see this.

2008 X:Pro Comp 4" lift, 35" Nitto Grapplers, Custom Front Bumper, Custom Sliders...more to come.

post #13 of 25 Old 10-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Rock God

Exclamation

Words of wisdom here. If you can't weld, or never have before, don't go out and buy a welder and think you can weld. Do yourself a favor and go take a non-credit welding course at your local Vo-tech.

Welding is a learned skill, not just something you can pick up and do. While I don't weld for a living anymore, I've been welding for about 25 years now and still learn things. I have the ability to visually inspect a weld and determine if it's acceptable or not (part of my occupation in the aerospace field as an inspector in the Military projects my company does and as an FAA ODAR). Please find someone to help you out with this phase of welding until you are good at it.

Risking safety on questionable welds is foolhardy and will get someone hurt or killed.

I don't intend to come off as an a$$ here, but welding up assy's that will see offroad and highway conditions better be Class A welds.

Just my .02 here, don't mean to sound like a dick, but I've seen $hit break from bad welds and it ain't pretty......

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #14 of 25 Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Words of wisdom here. If you can't weld, or never have before, don't go out and buy a welder and think you can weld. Do yourself a favor and go take a non-credit welding course at your local Vo-tech.

Welding is a learned skill, not just something you can pick up and do. While I don't weld for a living anymore, I've been welding for about 25 years now and still learn things. I have the ability to visually inspect a weld and determine if it's acceptable or not (part of my occupation in the aerospace field as an inspector in the Military projects my company does and as an FAA ODAR). Please find someone to help you out with this phase of welding until you are good at it.

Risking safety on questionable welds is foolhardy and will get someone hurt or killed.

I don't intend to come off as an a$$ here, but welding up assy's that will see offroad and highway conditions better be Class A welds.

Just my .02 here, don't mean to sound like a dick, but I've seen $hit break from bad welds and it ain't pretty......
You should sound like an ass. People don't understand the skill and time it takes to make things like bumpers and rock guards. I to do welding but not to the extent that you do and i can tell you that most people who set out to make their own stuff either end up with a part that looks like crap or one that they have more money in than if they would have just bought it.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrockjeepin View Post
You should sound like an ass. People don't understand the skill and time it takes to make things like bumpers and rock guards. I to do welding but not to the extent that you do and i can tell you that most people who set out to make their own stuff either end up with a part that looks like crap or one that they have more money in than if they would have just bought it.
What they said. I grew up fixing farm equipment and thought I had the skills for fab work. Luckily my neighbor is a retired welder. He's been able to keep me honest and is more than willing to step in where needed. Still, I'm planning on taking a class here in the near future.

If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.
post #16 of 25 Old 10-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrockjeepin View Post
Quote:

Don't think you sound like that, because honestly you're just doing your part to make sure people don't get hurt or do something stupid to kill themselves. I'd love to learn how to weld, but I know enough to not go out and buy new equipment so I can learn. Maybe I'll just go find someone who has a welder and practice on their stuff (kidding!). Again, thanks for the advice and warning. I hope those you think they know everything, including teaching themselves how to weld, will think twice about doing so...

Cheers

'08 Silver JKU - Grace

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
― Thomas A. Edison
post #17 of 25 Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Wheeler

Thumbs up

I think this is a great idea. Great way for those that know to show off their skills and for those that don't to see how it's done.
post #18 of 25 Old 10-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

I am going to go out on a limb here. I am not trying to start anything or do not want to have an argument with anyone, but I would like to put my two cents in. I am 31 years old and have been in metal fabrication since I was fifteen. I am going to disagree with you to some part. I can weld just about anything you put in front of me. (Aluminum, Stainless, or Steel, Tig, Mig, and Stick). I am not trying to blow myself up either. Without a doubt wire welding is the easiest thing to learn. I could probably teach my 8 year old how to do it in a very short amount of time and practice. I think if someone wants to take up the challenge on welding, do not waste your money on college. You can take the money that it cost and buy a welder. Go to your local welding shop and ask to dig through there scrap bin, and practice, practice, practice.
I do not think you should be welding on spring perchers or anything like that at first. Have a qualified welder inspect your welds and tell you how you are doing, before taking on any hard jobs. As far as fabrication goes, that is a completly different story. Lots of trial, error, and experience needed. I take great pride in building something myself. I do have the experience and machinery to do these things and do not knock someone for paying for there parts. I would rather pay double sometimes and do it myself. Usually something that I want will have the marked custom name on it anyways, and cannot be bought for what I can build it for. Like I said I am not trying to start an argument.

2008 X:Pro Comp 4" lift, 35" Nitto Grapplers, Custom Front Bumper, Custom Sliders...more to come.

post #19 of 25 Old 10-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy727 View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here. I am not trying to start anything or do not want to have an argument with anyone, but I would like to put my two cents in. I am 31 years old and have been in metal fabrication since I was fifteen. I am going to disagree with you to some part. I can weld just about anything you put in front of me. (Aluminum, Stainless, or Steel, Tig, Mig, and Stick). I am not trying to blow myself up either. Without a doubt wire welding is the easiest thing to learn. I could probably teach my 8 year old how to do it in a very short amount of time and practice. I think if someone wants to take up the challenge on welding, do not waste your money on college. You can take the money that it cost and buy a welder. Go to your local welding shop and ask to dig through there scrap bin, and practice, practice, practice.
I do not think you should be welding on spring perchers or anything like that at first. Have a qualified welder inspect your welds and tell you how you are doing, before taking on any hard jobs. As far as fabrication goes, that is a completly different story. Lots of trial, error, and experience needed. I take great pride in building something myself. I do have the experience and machinery to do these things and do not knock someone for paying for there parts. I would rather pay double sometimes and do it myself. Usually something that I want will have the marked custom name on it anyways, and cannot be bought for what I can build it for. Like I said I am not trying to start an argument.
I agree, I taught myself to weld. I welded tons of scrap. I'd weld it and then cut it in half to see how well it penetrated and then make adjustments and weld some more. I now feel quite comfortable welding. I bought a book to teach me the settings (an old text book) for when I started with my arc welder and have since graduated to a wire feed (much easier to use). I say buy a quality mig and start playing, just cut your welds and get a pro to look at them. You can also get on welding forums and show them pics of your welds and they will tell you what you are doing wrong.

Medsker
post #20 of 25 Old 10-24-2008, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Well said, the key to welding is practice. In this hobby there are a lot of profesionals around to get advise from. I had been thru a few weeks of welding courses but never had faith in my welding, and only stuck to fabrication that wasn't a safety priority(bumpers and exocages) after years and having some pro's say nice welding, I took my shot at a cage. I have since proven the cage with no failure. Now I can look at something and reproduce it, and make up for manufacturing deficiencies. All mass produced products are manufactures with cost as one of the top priorities. It may look good but it could be weaker then you think. This is why I fabricate my own, I can take advantage of the design and not worry about cost. At times I have spent more money on my designs but mine have held strong when others have failed.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #21 of 25 Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Wheeler

X2 on the last couple of replys, I never took a class, but the first couple of years I stayed away from anything that might keep me safe. I did a couple bumpers and ripped them off on the trail, threw them in the back and went home and tried again.

I think the whole trial and error makes for good character and keeps you wanting to find out a better way to weld, better penatration and even produce something other than booger welds...

If you have the money take the class, if you have the time figure it out, if you have both take the class and then keep learning.

Back to the whole DIY thread- I would like to see it, or just start it here...

post #22 of 25 Old 10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
No argument started. I'm just trying to keep the noobs safe. I stated non-credit course at a Vo-tech, that's not college. Non-credit courses are way cheaper and well worth the money. Just would hate to hear about someone's bumper falling off on the highway at 65mph. Can happen and has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medsker View Post
I agree, I taught myself to weld. I welded tons of scrap. I'd weld it and then cut it in half to see how well it penetrated and then make adjustments and weld some more. I now feel quite comfortable welding. I bought a book to teach me the settings (an old text book) for when I started with my arc welder and have since graduated to a wire feed (much easier to use). I say buy a quality mig and start playing, just cut your welds and get a pro to look at them. You can also get on welding forums and show them pics of your welds and they will tell you what you are doing wrong.

Medsker
Glad it's worked out for you so far, but someone new at welding has no idea what to look for in a weld section. There are a ton of things to look for in a weld that a novice won't know about, porosity, undercut, excessive root penetration, lack of fusion, cold overlap, blah blah blah. I agree with and stated eariler to have a pro look at your welds.

Back on topic.....

Here's my rock rails I made, Shrockworks clones. Fabricated from pictures on the fly. Have fun.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Last edited by John L; 06-13-2013 at 01:27 AM.
post #23 of 25 Old 10-24-2008, 03:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looking sharp JohnL.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #24 of 25 Old 10-24-2008, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Nice work John L
post #25 of 25 Old 10-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

nice work!
And fully agree to all of the above posts. I welded when I was young and have enough sense to take the serious stuff to a pro. Which is why I had my LA kit welded by a shop and not me since it is my life and others lives that ride on these welds.
DIY and have the honesty with yourself to know your own limits and when to seek pro advice.
I believe that is the intention of the above warning posts. Always consider safety.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode