Hard Top Storage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hard Top Storage

My search mojo sucks.... I know I have seen threads on Hard Top storage dollies and such. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

This really isn't a brains type operation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quadratech.com has several options to show off. A few of the fellers here have made their own impressive contraptions much like those. Are you looking for simple storage after removal? Or are you more inclined to have a system for a one-man operation to remove and store it?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
post #3 of 9 Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Really just looking for something to store it on in the garage. I know I've seen some homemade racks with wheels, bbut I can't find em. Also, is there a specific way NOT to store it? Like flat, on its side, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleStack View Post
Really just looking for something to store it on in the garage. I know I've seen some homemade racks with wheels, bbut I can't find em. Also, is there a specific way NOT to store it? Like flat, on its side, etc.
just so long as your not storing it to where the side is bowing you should be ok... tho im sure there are plenty of guys here who would let you "store" your hardtop on their jeeps

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I bet! The weather here in Az is perfect right now, so the tops gotta go in storage. So it shouldn't be an issue to set it on some 2x6's flat on the floor?

post #6 of 9 Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 PM
JKO Addict!

I built cart's to store the hardtops on mine & my wife's JK's. In a nut shell, the carts are along the lines of the HOSS cart that's out there so the top's stand upright. All I did was frame out a base with 2x4's based on the dimension of the the rear of the hardtop. Laid out some 1/8" pressboard over that. Whore'd the casters off a furniture dolly. Anchored a 2x4 on one side to prop the top up (what would the the top side above the wiper when on the vehicle) and a 1x4 on the other side to act as a lip to keep the top from sliding off. Other than that I laid out some work out mat's on I had laying around for some added protection when the tops are on the carts. Overall they've worked out pretty well for us, especially considering we have to keep our tops in our public storage unit in the warm months.

Sorry I can't find any pic's of them at the moment. If we put the hardtops on our Jeep's this weekend I'll try and remember to snap a pic.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-28-2010, 12:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Mine is just setting on the floor in the corner of the garage with a moving blanket over it.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #8 of 9 Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Granite Guru

Well if space ain't an issue and you just wanna store it, I wouldn't even bother trying to set it up on its tail and risk knocking it over. I have little space, but even less money, so the few times I have been able to take it off, we just set it on the garage floor. I happen to have some rubber floor mats already laid out so I don't worry about moisture or damaging the lip where the mounting holes are. We just walk around it. Had I known 11 years ago that I'd now have a Jeep with a removable hardtop that needed storage, I wouldn't have bought this house. Is it weird to want to configure a home around a vehicle?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
post #9 of 9 Old 10-28-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcul8r View Post
Well if space ain't an issue and you just wanna store it, I wouldn't even bother trying to set it up on its tail and risk knocking it over. I have little space, but even less money, so the few times I have been able to take it off, we just set it on the garage floor. I happen to have some rubber floor mats already laid out so I don't worry about moisture or damaging the lip where the mounting holes are. We just walk around it. Had I known 11 years ago that I'd now have a Jeep with a removable hardtop that needed storage, I wouldn't have bought this house. Is it weird to want to configure a home around a vehicle?

Since i have room, and I am extremely cheap.....This is where I am leaning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode