New guy here - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By ALASHA
  • 2 Post By Guruman
  • 1 Post By cjindna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-17-2020, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

New guy here

Hello from Quarantine... Unfortunately my job doesn't allow for that, but it also gives me more free time than usual. I have had several Jeeps throughout my life but this is my first JKU. So naturally I am going to ask about lifts. I built a WJ about 5 years ago with an IRO lift on it that I was happy with, but I can't find a whole lot of testimony for them with JK's. SO I have narrowed my choices down to the 3.5" IRO lift and the Teraflex 3". Cost is always an issue, but they are very close in price. I can easily search and find what ever info I need on the TF lift, but does anyone have experience with the IRO for their JK? Thanks in advance(I hope) I look forward to picking brains here, cheers and heres to social distancing.

PS: It is so damn over whelming shopping for parts of any kind for these JK's. Every time I think I have my mind made up, a google search or a picture of a sweet ass rig changes my mind. Its never ending
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-17-2020, 01:13 PM
JKO Addict!

So this how this one is going to go.

No one is going to suggest IRO because they never made any fame in the JK world.

Teraflex is good and you will have a few posts recommending it.

But this is a forum and like Google you will get a lot more opinions.

I and others will recommend you look at Rock Krawler.

At least 3 members on here will swear against RK.

Someone will suggest Metalcloak.

Dirtman will ask you questions like what is your intended use, budget and current and future set up (which are all valid questions)

The slew of opinions will continue.

You will eventually say "Thank you for all the help. I have chosen brand X because it fits my budget and because of some of the member recommendations on here."

The cycle of forum will continue.
JKommuter, Cod, ndtguy and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-17-2020, 01:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

EXACTLY what he said^^^^^

Welcome.
ALASHA and ndtguy like this.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-17-2020, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Possibly the best response I have ever received to anything ever in my life. Honest, informative and to the point.
I have looked at RK and Metalcloak. 15-1700 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things but it’s a lot of coin to shell out. I go out on the beach, occasionally go in the woods but if I am being completely honest I just don’t want to drive stock. It’s my DD and the woman doesn’t like the idea of lifting it, so that’s also an uphill battle. Like you said, eventually I’ll pull the trigger and make my choice but the input here is key.

Thank you for the reply.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 PM
Granite Guru

I just pulled my rock krawler suspension and replaced it with metal cloak. I must say the metalcloak suspension ride is much better than rock krawler, imo.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 14 Old 03-17-2020, 07:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
I just pulled my rock krawler suspension and replaced it with metal cloak. I must say the metalcloak suspension ride is much better than rock krawler, imo.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Well of course it is, I mean you wouldn’t have spent your hard earned money on it otherwise right
ALASHA likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-18-2020, 03:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
Well of course it is, I mean you wouldn’t have spent your hard earned money on it otherwise right
No, he spent hard earned money on RK, which sucked so much he pulled it.

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-18-2020, 05:02 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
No, he spent hard earned money on RK, which sucked so much he pulled it.
Ahh, completely clear now
post #9 of 14 Old 03-18-2020, 05:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

FWIW, I ran 37 inch tires for a few years on nothing but a cheap 1.5 inch aluminum body lift, some wheel spacers and Metal Cloak fenders.

I might actually go back to that at some point.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #10 of 14 Old 03-18-2020, 06:40 AM
JKO Addict!

I don't like Teraflex either. There are better kits out there that when you compare apples to apple cost the same or less than the budget kits. What is IRO?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link

Last edited by thedirtman; 03-18-2020 at 06:47 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-18-2020, 07:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Iron Rock Offroad. Never heard of them before but kit companies seem to be crawling out from under rocks lately. Shit shocks, look like same joints as RK crap, coils need retainers so that means they are short. Upper adjusters are nice and look to be a pretty complete kit. 3.5" kit. Instructions look good and looks like they spent some time on the details like the high clearance bolt head on the sway bar links. Add high steer to it. Looks like they are trying to be RK with the descriptions they use on the web site. Price is competitive with other kits with the same stuff.
I would not recommend it because of the joints, coils, and shocks. I would also want adjustable bump stops instead of the long fixed ones offered.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #12 of 14 Old 03-18-2020, 10:43 AM
Rock God

I've always liked this quote:
Quote:
Just because someone goes fast doesn't mean you should do whatever you think they did. This path assumes they knew what they were doing, which isn't necessarily the case. Take this path and you will be guaranteed second place.
It's from a company named RB Racing. They're involved with motorcycle racing.

While the advice that has already been presented is good information,I went with Clayton Off Road. They have a fantastic reputation in the XJ world, my research lead me to them, and I've been happy with their 2.5" Overland lift kit since I've installed it last year. No complaints.

Anyway I'm not saying with the quote to ignore the advice given, my point is that you can't entirely rely on what people tell you. Everyone has advice to give, but it's up to you to research what will work for you.

I suggest searching the forum for both IRO and Teraflex along with any other brand you're considering. Here's a start:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/gtsearch.php?q=iro
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/gtsearch.php?q=teraflex

Good luck...

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Clayton 2.5" Overland Plus Lift, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, and more to come...
post #13 of 14 Old 03-18-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Scarlet View Post
I've always liked this quote:
Quote:
Just because someone goes fast doesn't mean you should do whatever you think they did. This path assumes they knew what they were doing, which isn't necessarily the case. Take this path and you will be guaranteed second place.
It's from a company named RB Racing. They're involved with motorcycle racing.

While the advice that has already been presented is good information,I went with Clayton Off Road. They have a fantastic reputation in the XJ world, my research lead me to them, and I've been happy with their 2.5" Overland lift kit since I've installed it last year. No complaints.

Anyway I'm not saying with the quote to ignore the advice given, my point is that you can't entirely rely on what people tell you. Everyone has advice to give, but it's up to you to research what will work for you.

I suggest searching the forum for both IRO and Teraflex along with any other brand you're considering. Here's a start:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/gtsearch.php?q=iro
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/gtsearch.php?q=teraflex

Good luck... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JKowners_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
I appreciate it. Yeah, ultimately I know the decision will come down to my research and pulling the trigger. I’ve looked at Clayton too.. I’m in Mass and I believe they’re in CT? Only a little over an hour away. All the kits are similar in price but usually just have one thing either missing or different. Be it he shocks or a track bar or control arms... brackets vs. actually brake lines or what have you. Clayton was on the short list for awhile and too be honest, I’ve diluted my brain so much by looking I had forgotten about them until you just brought it up. I’m a few months away from the purchase and I know I’ll change my mind 100 times before I spend... information overload at times but it’s still fun to look at everyone’s rigs and compare. I appreciate all the advice so far though. Thanks guys
post #14 of 14 Old 03-25-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL294 View Post
Hello from Quarantine... Unfortunately my job doesn't allow for that, but it also gives me more free time than usual. I have had several Jeeps throughout my life but this is my first JKU. So naturally I am going to ask about lifts. I built a WJ about 5 years ago with an IRO lift on it that I was happy with, but I can't find a whole lot of testimony for them with JK's. SO I have narrowed my choices down to the 3.5" IRO lift and the Teraflex 3". Cost is always an issue, but they are very close in price. I can easily search and find what ever info I need on the TF lift, but does anyone have experience with the IRO for their JK? Thanks in advance(I hope) I look forward to picking brains here, cheers and heres to social distancing.

PS: It is so damn over whelming shopping for parts of any kind for these JK's. Every time I think I have my mind made up, a google search or a picture of a sweet ass rig changes my mind. Its never ending
Quarantine? Is it a new city or something? LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode