JKOwners Forum banner

3D printed Dash Bar

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Chris85xlt 
#1 ·
I printed these mounts to put a dash bar on my jku. I had the pipe laying around, so after some hours designing and testing several prototypes, these are the final parts. (The first pic shows the first design)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I then designed and printed a GoPro mount for the bar... i printed it in green because thats what i had mounted in the printer and it was the first prototype, next one with a couple mods will be black as well....

Attachments

#3 ·
Cool idea. You think the plastic is strong enough to keep the bar from becoming a projectile in an accident?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
PLA won't take much heat, I'm told.

Hopefully you printed it in something else... not sure what's best though.

Care to share the stl files?

#10 ·
In for seeing how it stands to the heat/sun.

I have an ender 3 Pro still sitting in the box that I bought on an impulse. Had ideas of doing dash stuff and other things for the rig but then read about PLA properties not being worthy of the heat. My understanding is that PETG is probably the best readily available/cost effective option not requiring an ABS enclosure.

Hope it holds up for you!

#14 · (Edited)
Neat design!

An area Library had excess funds. So naturally, rather than rolling the $ into the next year's needs, they purchased two 3D printers. (They reportedly print with ABS @ $1.00 per gram weight of product).

Is the software code available for these parts?

If I was to use the data, I'd be willing to provide an extra set, in payment. There's an assumption on my part that the Traverse City Library has excess machine time and would allow an out-of-area user to share their capacity... Thanks. js

#17 ·
It serves as a mounting point for electronic devices, gps, trail cams, etc...

Reactions: J. Dub
#22 ·
The 3d designs are created and stored as a standard .stl file using any number of 3d design software applications. You can download/view a bunch of stuff people have shared through sites like thingaverse.com

Once you have your .stl file the way you like it, it goes into a "slicer" program that takes the 3d model and creates the layers that the printer will use to make the object (different printers use different settings and/or slicers, my printer came with it's own slicer application). The slicer spits out a file that gets loaded on the printer, in my case the printer uses the gcode format, which is also pretty standard, although, there are others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.