Jeep windshields (The Horror) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 01-24-2020, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Jeep windshields (The Horror)

We all know to well that our windshields are vulnerable to chips, cracks and the likes.

My 2017 JKUR was purchased new, in less than 2weeks I had 2 rock chips.

I know you feel me here.

Anyway, 5-6 months past and I got a few more chips, probably 6-7 total before the windshield cracked to the point that it really bothered me.

I broke down and had it replaced, like a fool, I spent the extra $ to have the stupid little Jeep in the corner and the grill logo behind the mirror. Forget the price but those stickers aren’t cheap.

Fast forward exactly 2 days, another rock chip ( cry or laugh), can’t remember whichever I did but I rode it out until the second windshield got so bad that it had to be replaced.

I wasn’t going to spend the money a second time for the silly little Jeep in the corner, and while looking for the cheapest windshield I could find, I found “GorillaGlass” by Corning (not cheap by any means).
I looked at reviews, and I lamented.

Could this windshield be worth the money?

I ended up finding one on Amazon for just under $500 and pulled the trigger. (Came with the stickers)
I had it installed.
It’s been a few weeks short of a year now. I’ve taken multiple “hits”, a few really good ones.

Knock on wood, I still have zero chips.

I get it, it’s a Jeep, and chipped/cracked windshields come with Jeep ownership. I’m ok with that until I have cracks running through my field of view.

Now I’m not saying that this windshield is bulletproof, I may wish tomorrow that I never made this post.
I’m not saying that you will have the same luck.

I am saying “so far so good” and that I don’t (so far) regret spending the extra for the little Gorilla in the other corner.

If your looking to replace a windshield this may be something to look into.

If you do look for one, make sure you look good and hard, I’ve seen them over $700. They can be had much cheaper.

I had mine installed by a local “mobile” guy, he charged me $65
Cod and Mike481625 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-24-2020, 09:49 PM
Banned

Imo; big trucks shoot rocks, and people who follow a bit too close are like bullseyes I give 3 lengths everywhere. It takes a while with lots of asians cutting into that little gap so they can drive bumper to bumper, but after people see how much less attention they need to pay to traffic by giving room, I've started seeing it more and more frequently.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Schmerg likes this.
post #3 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 04:48 AM
Granite Guru

That whole story is driver error. I do not get glass chips nor do I get paint chips. Do ya know why? I stay clear of the rear end in front of me that could toss stones up.

My sister in law, in the same town.... Front of her car has at least 20-30 chips, glass gets damaged periodically and she doesn't get it. I've had her follow me and she drives within a few car lengths of whoever is in front even at 50 or 60 mph. I've tried to tell her about it, she can not accept that she's driving close, plus she's worried that someone will use the space to get in front of her.

My 2014 JK has the original glass in it and not a single stone chip.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 05:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
That whole story is driver error. I do not get glass chips nor do I get paint chips. Do ya know why? I stay clear of the rear end in front of me that could toss stones up.
I do believe that this here's 'bout the dumbest fuckin' thang I've ever read … at least this mornin' anyways. Obviously you must never drive on 2-lane roads (especially gravel ones for gawd sakes) and have vehicles pass you in the opposite direction. They can sure chunk shit up in the air as they pass. And that shit can easily chip your paint and windshield even if you're a fuckin' half mile behind whoever's in front of you on your side of the road.

Therefore, you should buy the Gorilla glass as OP has recommended. Mine has also successfully shed small objects without chippin' … and there weren't nary a sole in front of me.
coilrod, Jadmt, ExWrench and 1 others like this.

My Trailer Queen don't ride on one ... it pulls one.
post #5 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 06:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
That whole story is driver error. I do not get glass chips nor do I get paint chips. Do ya know why? I stay clear of the rear end in front of me that could toss stones

I guess you don't drive on the highway.
Trucks throw up rocks. At 60 mph a 2 oz piece of gravel goes a long way. A golf ball sized rock can go a long way through your glass.
See, Larry, this happens in any direction. Drive enough roads and you'll get dinged.
Jadmt and ExWrench like this.

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
post #6 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 06:52 AM
Rock God

All of my chips and cracks have come from meeting vehicles not following them. Not sure how that can be avoided.
post #7 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

My sister in law, in the same town.... Front of her car has at least 20-30 chips, glass gets damaged periodically and she doesn't get it. I've had her follow me and she drives within a few car lengths of whoever is in front even at 50 or 60 mph. I've tried to tell her about it, she can not accept that she's driving close, plus she's worried that someone will use the space to get in front of her.

Well bless your heart.

Thanks for your advice/ opinion.

Like others have stated, rock chips can and do happen when nobody is in front of you.
I’d guess that at least 50% of mine happen from vehicles traveling the opposite direction.

I see in your Bio that you have a badass Willys. Quite the list of mods but I don’t see a “winch”.

I guess you don’t get stuck either?

You win JKO driver of the year.

:{)
ExWrench and freytes2010 like this.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 01-25-2020 at 09:05 AM.
post #8 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 09:11 AM
Granite Guru

Umm... 12k winch with synthetic line, replaced one complete winch after splitting the housing open and bending the rotor shaft.

You don't have a chip... You have many. You drive like shit.

Attachment 340012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

Last edited by larry0071; 01-25-2020 at 09:20 AM.
post #9 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Umm... 12k winch with synthetic line, replaced one complete winch after splitting the housing open and bending the rotor shaft.

You don't have a chip... You have many. You drive like shit.

Attachment 340012

Was just an observation.
It’s great that you in fact have a winch but I will be revoking your DOTY award.

Guess there’s a few million Jeep owners that drive “like shit”.

Again thanks for your opinion.

BTW, classy pix.
Way to represent.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 01-25-2020 at 09:46 AM.
post #10 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 09:50 AM
Granite Guru

Don't revoke my dick of the year submission... I hope to win that!

post #11 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 09:53 AM
you can go piss up a rope

FFS how did a windshield chip thread turn into a who wheels the hardest pissing contest?
762miller likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
y’aller quenchin' with beer
post #12 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 10:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
FFS how did a windshield chip thread turn into a who wheels the hardest pissing contest?
I think it's the nature of the Jeep community....

post #13 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 11:02 AM
Banned

I've been needing some entertainment on here anyway

I've been driving a lot, I drive around all day fixing things at work, on the hiway, trucking routes, behind gravel trucks, gravel roads, every place. Never had a rock chip a windshield except once in my Ford tempo when I was a kid. From following too close, not a scratch on my 2017 jk, all that said I do happen to have a pretty vehement guardian angel watching out for me. Or I have the luckiest horseshoe up in there.

post #14 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 11:10 AM
Banned

Also gonna just leave this here

post #15 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Don't revoke my dick of the year submission... I hope to win that!

I have zero input on that particular award. “Dick” of the year is way above my pay scale.

I gave you “Driver” of the year because you have good glass and I assumed you don’t get stuck.
My bad, that’s 99% on me, 1% on you for not listing the winch on your list but I’ll fade the heat.

Hopefully you understand that my post was not a complaint about rock chips and cracked windshields.

It was a personal “nod” to the Gorilla Glass replacement.

I was only trying to offer something of substance and value to the community in the form of a positive product review.

I find it odd and hard to understand, why you would turn that into an opinion of my driving style or abilities.

I kinda get it, I enjoy bustin’ balls too, this just seems a strange time to take the opportunity.

Edit:
If by chance you ONLY use your winch to help others, I will reconsider re-issuing the original DOTY trophy.
762miller likes this.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 01-25-2020 at 11:27 AM.
post #16 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 12:12 PM
Rock God

Any idea about weight of the Gorilla Glass compared to the OEM glass?

And I wanna nominate myself for “Dick of the Year”. 2014 and not a single chip...what am I doing wrong?
post #17 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
Any idea about weight of the Gorilla Glass compared to the OEM glass?

And I wanna nominate myself for “Dick of the Year”. 2014 and not a single chip...what am I doing wrong?

I do not know the exact weight difference.
I do know that the Gorilla is substantially lighter.

I seem to recall reading something about a few of the “super cars” going to it for weight savings.

I’d assume it would be nominal in effect on a Jeep though.

But hey, every pound helps if your actually trying to shave weight.

See if this helps.

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...-gorilla-glass

Last edited by Pmedic920; 01-25-2020 at 12:26 PM.
post #18 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 12:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Ah, the great wisdom of Larry. What nonsense. Let's look at a past response in regard to the Gorilla Glass replacement from another thread that Larry responded to:
Quote:
The big question to me would be cost of this one compared to standard safety glass? My 2014 still has the factory installed glass after 5 summers and 31,000 miles. So if the cost of this is a very large jump over the cost of standard safety glass, and especially if my glass break policy doesn't cover it... I would pass on it.

Instead of coming here and regurgitating how he wouldn't spend the money on Gorilla Glass he decides to come up with now how it's the drivers fault. I guess the evidence of Jeep JK windshields getting chips in them no matter how one drives is contrary to what you believe. But then again, you seem to have a problem with people that disagree with your opinions. Way to go Larry, DOTY (Douche of the Year)!

And on a final note for Larry, anecdotal evidence doesn't prove your theory. If you want you could try again, but the reality is it won't help your theory.

As to the original poster, I hope in the end it all works out for you. I'm actually interested in a long term review. Keep us posted.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Clayton 2.5" Overland Plus Lift, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, and more to come...
post #19 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 01:10 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
Yup. Good, relative info. Thanks. It doesn't seem that the price difference is insufferable...unless someone gouges the shit out of the customer.

I got involved in a conversation with a “plastic” window MFG concerning DOT approval, inspired by a thread here somewhere, but they weren't too interested in submitting test samples for approval. I looked up the testing procedures and it didn't seem insurmountable. Their “glass” had various multi-coatings of anti-this-and-that and were extremely light. IIRC, they were, however, quite pricey.
post #20 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
Yup. Good, relative info. Thanks. It doesn't seem that the price difference is insufferable...unless someone gouges the shit out of the customer.

I got involved in a conversation with a “plastic” window MFG concerning DOT approval, inspired by a thread here somewhere, but they weren't too interested in submitting test samples for approval. I looked up the testing procedures and it didn't seem insurmountable. Their “glass” had various multi-coatings of anti-this-and-that and were extremely light. IIRC, they were, however, quite pricey.

I also paid my window tinter dude a few bucks to put a clear UV film on the inside of this windshield.
Can’t remember the the manufacturer but the claim was over 90% reduction of interior heat (assuming other windows already tinted appropriately), 100% blocking of UV rays.

I’ve also heard of a film that can be applied to the outside that aides in prevention of “rock chips”.
“My guy” wasn’t aware of that however.

I haven’t researched any further but may.
post #21 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 01:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

My previous jku I had a rock come up and bust the windshield and replaced it with an aftermarket one.

I had to replace my windshield about 6 months after owning my current jeep (2017). I didn’t have a rock hit it. I was on the highway doing about 70mph. I had my coworker on speakerphone and a suicidal bird, who flew in front of me from the right, and “wham”, right into my windshield. It was loud enough that my coworker asked what that sound was. It had the impact “crater” and cracks all the way across the windshield.

My current (2017) I replaced it with a non jeep windshield by a local company. I don’t drive close and keep my distance, especially with construction vehicles, and still had some hits. Whoever made this windshield did it right. It’s taken some hard hits and barely chipped.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #22 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Aww Shit y’all.

I just noticed why Larry ain’t go no chips.

He got the rock defector things that go from the hood to to the roof.

Lol, that’s cheatin’ right there.
post #23 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 02:58 PM
Rock God

I live in Arizona. We actually rocks and gravel on the side of the road. I have had more than a couple of windshields on my 2016. Since my wife thinks I am a terrible driver, I will own it, not that I care. I also drive my jeep. All the time.
I think i might just go gorilla glass for the next windshield.
post #24 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 02:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Is there a little dick of the year award?

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
post #25 of 44 Old 01-25-2020, 03:31 PM
Rock God

one negative I have heard on Gorilla glass is they actually get sand pits easier as the glass is softer and also more susceptible to scratches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode