JKOwners Forum banner

Jeep stuff I've learned - Jan2020

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ballistik_monkey 
#1 · (Edited)

another thread with some related info on belt slippage & being thrown-off reminded me how I had planned to pick these monthly posts back up .

This month I share how I have learned it is not a bad idea to griploc or ziptie a spare belt someplace in your enginebay .

I saw Baja racers doin' it almost 2 decades ago = good enough for me. I've carried a spare with all Jeeps either inside or a place such as here:

Jeep On...

(EDIT: YMMV: I put under 1250 street miles on my JKU last year. Spare belt under rear seat in my XJ .
I have kept them on sportsbar, too. I have one on my parents YJ rollbar.

Temp in the spot behind my JK's battery never exceeds 115° F . It should be ok. )

See less See more
#3 ·
Not bad and out of the way. I usually just keep the old belt in the back in the box the replacement came in with the rest of the junk back there, but I think I'll try this. Thanks. :beer:

Reactions: Mike481625
#4 ·
Carrying one a good idea but mine will stay in the back/save it from the same heat demise everything else under the hood is subject to.

Every wire loom in my junks engine bay is disintegrating to the point of no longer there[emoji3]

Would hate to need the extra belt and find its cooked like the turkey in National Lampoon Xmas.

Keep in mind I DD mine to soccer practice[emoji15]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Good tip, j3ff3ry! :beer:

I've always carried a spare serpentine belt in case one snapped / failed (low probability, better safe than sorry).

Now, it's also in case deep-ish water splashes up and encourages the belt to boogie off toward parts unknown.

Confirming that ^ is a real possibility - I dun seed it muhself :eek:

#6 ·

I think Trail Rated should imply Belt-tensioned so a piss of muddy water doesn't flip the belt off. I suppose milling an edged pulley would easily be done or serviced out.

wet engine bay means jack SQUAT if the belt recoils like a girl at a misting or swamp spritz , am I right ?

Jack SQUAT ,btw:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.