4.56 gears and 37s - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nukeandjuke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

4.56 gears and 37s

Anybody here happy with their 4.56 gears and 37s? Could you post a video of your gauges from take off up to top speed? Just want to see how the auto tranny goes through the gears

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 02:23 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by libordemise View Post
Anybody here happy with their 4.56 gears and 37s? Could you post a video of your gauges from take off up to top speed? Just want to see how the auto tranny goes through the gears

Thanks!!

So, we've narrowed your inquiry down to automatics, but 3.8L or 3.6L engine?

That makes a huge difference (mostly because the auto. transmission ratios changed from horrible to good).

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Good point. 3.6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-17-2020, 06:14 PM

I have it. I cant do videos. But I love it. My mpg says 15.2 mpg when I feather the gas pedal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
libordemise likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-21-2020, 09:14 AM
Rock God

4.56 gears and 37s

When I started my mods, I knewthat I would never go above 35 tires.

Yea rite.

2017 JKUR 3.6 auto transmission

Anyway I re-geared to 4:56.
At the time I was daily driving it, I do a lot of highway driving and tend to run 75 when the limit is 70.

Skip ahead a few good wheeling trips.
My old 2000 F250 4x4 7.3 needed tires. I said to myself this is a perfect time to put 37s on the JK, the 35 Nittos still had a ton of life in them, they went on the truck and I put 37s on the Jeep assuming that Id need to stash some cash to make the jump to 4:88s

What I ultimately found, and was pleased about is.

At highway speeds 55- (cringe)80, my RPMs dropped just enough that the JK didnt seem to be wound up as much.

These are close but not exact numbers.

4:56 @ 80 MPH = 2950-3000 RPMs (35 Nitto Trail grapplers.)

With the 37 Trail Grapplers Im running closer to 2750-2850 RPMs @ 80mph. (Again I cringe) I dont like to think about running that fast but frequently find myself doing so on Texas Highways with low traffic in the area.

I found no significant drop in fuel mileage, Im sure it dropped some but it wasnt huge and my wallet didnt feel it. If it was significant my wallet would have noticed because its hungry all the time.

The best part was, I noticed no drop off in (off road) performance. I wheel exclusively in 4Lo.
Im guessing the difference would be more noticed in 4hi if I used that.

Bottom line is, Im personally (perfectly)happy with the 4:56s and the Nitto 37s. Im mentioning Nitto because they do run closer to 36 mounted and aired up. Other brands may run truer to size, an actual 37 tall tire may have different end results.

Im away from home at the moment, and in my truck. Ill try to make a little video for you (on road) when I get home.

Edit:
I also have reset all parameters with SuperChips tuner. My rig shifts flawlessly.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 01-21-2020 at 09:29 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-24-2020, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
When I started my mods, I knewthat I would never go above 35 tires.

Yea rite.

2017 JKUR 3.6 auto transmission

Anyway I re-geared to 4:56.
At the time I was daily driving it, I do a lot of highway driving and tend to run 75 when the limit is 70.

Skip ahead a few good wheeling trips.
My old 2000 F250 4x4 7.3 needed tires. I said to myself this is a perfect time to put 37s on the JK, the 35 Nittos still had a ton of life in them, they went on the truck and I put 37s on the Jeep assuming that Id need to stash some cash to make the jump to 4:88s

What I ultimately found, and was pleased about is.

At highway speeds 55- (cringe)80, my RPMs dropped just enough that the JK didnt seem to be wound up as much.

These are close but not exact numbers.

4:56 @ 80 MPH = 2950-3000 RPMs (35 Nitto Trail grapplers.)

With the 37 Trail Grapplers Im running closer to 2750-2850 RPMs @ 80mph. (Again I cringe) I dont like to think about running that fast but frequently find myself doing so on Texas Highways with low traffic in the area.

I found no significant drop in fuel mileage, Im sure it dropped some but it wasnt huge and my wallet didnt feel it. If it was significant my wallet would have noticed because its hungry all the time.

The best part was, I noticed no drop off in (off road) performance. I wheel exclusively in 4Lo.
Im guessing the difference would be more noticed in 4hi if I used that.

Bottom line is, Im personally (perfectly)happy with the 4:56s and the Nitto 37s. Im mentioning Nitto because they do run closer to 36 mounted and aired up. Other brands may run truer to size, an actual 37 tall tire may have different end results.

Im away from home at the moment, and in my truck. Ill try to make a little video for you (on road) when I get home.

Edit:
I also have reset all parameters with SuperChips tuner. My rig shifts flawlessly.
Any luck with that video? My tranny is a little finicky still on any incline. Will stay in 2nd at 3000revs and just not shift sometimes. I have to hit the shifter.

post #7 of 10 Old 01-24-2020, 06:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Any luck with that video? My tranny is a little finicky still on any incline. Will stay in 2nd at 3000revs and just not shift sometimes. I have to hit the shifter.

Ill be home tomorrow. Sat. 1/25
Check back tomorrow evening, or Sunday AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-25-2020, 12:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Check your PMS
post #9 of 10 Old 01-25-2020, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
Check your PMS
We're good. Just a little bit of blood still in there.

post #10 of 10 Old 01-25-2020, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hahaha just kidding

I'll text ya in a little bit. Thanks for taking the time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode