clutch replacement - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

clutch replacement

My 2011 jeep wrangler sport just hit 100,000 km and is showing signs of needing a new clutch. I am a very broke university student so im planning on replacing it myself with a lot of help from my good friend the internet. i was wondering what other things should i replace besides the clutch disc and pressure plate.will i need gaskets? bolt glue? hardware? Ive read that the thrust bearing and slave cylinders should also be replaced. if so are these usually included in clutch kits? whats a good website to purchase from? thanks for your guys help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 11:09 AM
JKO Addict!

There is an excellent write-up on here somewhere. Rock auto is a good choice for parts and the Luk kit is a common choice.

Good luck and keep reading

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #3 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 02:00 PM
yes, I have asperger's

You should get @libordemise to help you. I think he lives in Canada too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
y’aller quenchin' with beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Granite Guru

From the way you wrote up your post, I would suggest staying away from tools. Although this is a simple job for a seasoned mechanic, someone trying to do this themself for the first time I would not recommend you trying to do this. But If you do please post pics when you eat the transmission.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

@Fklein6768 thanks! have you ever used extreme terrain?

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-22-2019 at 03:24 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

@rich6700 , i cant afford to spend $1000 at a shop so im looking for some tips as i plan to do it myself. however if being rude online is what makes you feel good about yourself have at her
gbheavy likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
@rich6700 , i cant afford to spend $1000 at a shop so im looking for some tips as i plan to do it myself. however if being rude online is what makes you feel good about yourself have at her
Not being rude just giving you the cold hard facts. So go ahead and try to pull it apart. Be prepared to pay for towing and the additional labor of doing the job when you figure out your over your head.

post #8 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Not being rude just giving you the cold hard facts. So go ahead and try to pull it apart. Be prepared to pay for towing and the additional labor of doing the job when you figure out your over your head.

post #9 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 04:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
From the way you wrote up your post, I would suggest staying away from tools. Although this is a simple job for a seasoned mechanic, someone trying to do this themself for the first time I would not recommend you trying to do this. But If you do please post pics when you eat the transmission.

I was going to recommend a transmission adapter for the jack but realized broke and college kinda threw that out as an option. Anything is possible when dollars are tight. I did a clutch in a k-5 blazer twice in January (bad pressure plate first time) with about a foot of snow in the driveway at 18.

Good times

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #10 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 04:51 PM
yes, I have asperger's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
I was going to recommend a transmission adapter for the jack but realized broke and college kinda threw that out as an option. Anything is possible when dollars are tight. I did a clutch in a k-5 blazer twice in January (bad pressure plate first time) with about a foot of snow in the driveway at 18.

Good times

Reminds me of countless clutch replacements on my 93 fox body. Those were easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
y’aller quenchin' with beer
post #11 of 14 Old 11-23-2019, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

if you ever return to see this, @[email protected]
, members here have no time to bandy words-around or waste time; they will tell you like it is .
This site won't sugar-coat or hug you when you ask for assistance.
There's a difference between that and 'being rude'.

Hang around & you can thicken-up that soft, supple skin .
Plus, you're likely to learn a sh*tload about the Jeep JK, too....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

Plus, I kinda feel being rude and wrong is my thing, so y'all quit stepping on my toes.
I learned more about how to do stuff on my vehicles by doing it with no experience than I did by not doing it. If you fuck up your clutch doing it, it can always be redone.

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-24-2019, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Replacing the clutch itself is the easiest part. The hardest is getting access to it.

Recommend a transmission jack - it has adjusters that will allow you to precisely tilt, pitch, and roll that bitch back where it belongs haha. Might even be able to remove/install the transmission and transfer case without separating them (separating would be a real pain in the ass). Also recommend doing the job on a smooth concrete surface - that'll make it easier to roll the jack around as you're getting it back together.

As for replacement parts, I'd recommend replacing as much as you can afford while you're in there. Obviously clutch, but also throwout bearing and the pilot bearing in the crankshaft (they're maybe $40?). Harbor Freight sells a set of blind hole bearing pullers that will help with the pilot.

Good luck, and post up some pictures of the job. I'll bet most folks here will see something you did better than them in their youth haha.
The old fart likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to DaCrazyRN

EVERYTHING said here. ESPECIALLY the transmission jack and flat surface. Find one to rent. I had to drive an hour and a half, ONE WAY, to rent one. I would NEVER TRY TO REPLACE another without one. Saves you tons of time and grief. Most clutch replacement kits come with the throwout bearing and pilot bearing. Replace them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
Replacing the clutch itself is the easiest part. The hardest is getting access to it.

Recommend a transmission jack - it has adjusters that will allow you to precisely tilt, pitch, and roll that bitch back where it belongs haha. Might even be able to remove/install the transmission and transfer case without separating them (separating would be a real pain in the ass). Also recommend doing the job on a smooth concrete surface - that'll make it easier to roll the jack around as you're getting it back together.

As for replacement parts, I'd recommend replacing as much as you can afford while you're in there. Obviously clutch, but also throwout bearing and the pilot bearing in the crankshaft (they're maybe $40?). Harbor Freight sells a set of blind hole bearing pullers that will help with the pilot.

Good luck, and post up some pictures of the job. I'll bet most folks here will see something you did better than them in their youth haha.

Tracy E /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“When you do things RIGHT, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.” God in Godfellas-Futurama
Life is Risk Management
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode