• 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By Chris85xlt
  • 1 Post By Jadmt
  • 1 Post By Donut707
  • 1 Post By GR1P

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-09-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

JK Hard Top insulation

Has anyone tried roof insulation for their JK hard top? i am looking for what will stay up there.I live in Arizona, the top gets very hot during summer. my bigest concern is adhesive that will actually hold it up.
this is one of may i have looked at https://www.quadratec.com/products/12021_1001_07.htm
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-10-2019, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafergus View Post
Has anyone tried roof insulation for their JK hard top? i am looking for what will stay up there.I live in Arizona, the top gets very hot during summer. my bigest concern is adhesive that will actually hold it up.
this is one of may i have looked at https://www.quadratec.com/products/12021_1001_07.htm
thank you
Just get the Hot Heads linrer and be done with it. They're the best one out there. I opted for the Mopar headliner kit, it's too thin and doesn't have nearly enough adhesive. Looking at the one you're interested in doesn't fill me with confidence.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Rock God

Im in Arizona and have the factory installed mopar liners. They seem to work, and i have had them for at least three summers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Rock God

I have had the mopar ones on my last two wranglers and they work great for me. I live in Montana so more for cold than hot altho we get over 100F from time to time.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

Troy, a poster on here and local to me, makes the entire set for the roof.

Makes a huge difference and have had zero issues with them.

Would recommend him and his product.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #6 of 23 Old 11-10-2019, 10:07 PM
Random Dude

Dunno about hard top liners - I stopped being interested in 'em after I did this:

I've never regretted painting just the top surface of the hard top white.
You don't see the white from the sides, and the heat difference is amazing.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #7 of 23 Old 11-11-2019, 06:00 AM
Rock God

Garage

Do you have a link to the write up for this?
I tried this, but got overspray all over the windshield.

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Do you have a link to the write up for this?
I tried this, but got overspray all over the windshield.
Not a complete writeup, sorry.

Here's most of what I've shared, extracted from my oddball mods thread for your convenience:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
. . .

Pick a card . . . any card . . .
Got a pack of cards you don't mind trashing? This absolutely kicks ass to mask off the rubber gasket on the hard top come rattle can time.
A few months back, I realized that my white Krylon job (good for 2 years in the sun) was 3+ years old.
That pretty much explained why the white area of the top was looking beat to shit and whitewashing the sides of the hard top.

Brang fahhhrrrrkin' noo! 3 coats of satin bright white and (I went fancy this time) 2 coats of satin clear over the white part of the top.

Shoulda' just turned the fawkin' top inside-out:
At the same time part of the factory black was re-painted white, the factory white was painted black (I wasn't just bored, there is a reason)

The inside of the top was better looking finished in white, but with the satin black I don't end up seeing it when driving. <-- SAFER ARE GOODER

Paint inside the top is the same SEM flexible urethane I use on the rims before every trip to indicate what needs a-checkin' after rocks kiss them

Quote:
. . .

Holy crap, has it been 4 years already? Time to paint de roof . . . again
Clear coat bought me an extra year, but the clear was completely shithoused.
The white underneath was OK but borderline. Old on right, (obviously):

Prep. was easy - mask, spray Windex, clean aggressively with red Scotch Brite, wipe with microfiber towel, done!

This time around, I went with gloss white Rustoleum enamel, brushed on. Didn't add hardener or thinner, but really happy with the results.

That same old deck of cards was still my best tooling to mask the gasket.

. . .
Not shown: the 2 removable panels, I removed and processed on sawhorses.

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

Oh...you took it off. That explains why i have boot prints and overspray on my hood, and you don't.
Lyle Savant likes this.

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Oh...you took it off. That explains why i have boot prints and overspray on my hood, and you don't.
I didn't take the hard top off just to paint the top surface. I took it off when I painted the inside, and I think I tuned up the white that time also. After brushing the white (with top on) this last time around, I wouldn't go back to rattle cans for that particular project.

post #11 of 23 Old 11-12-2019, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

the first weekend of the 1st hot summer day back in 2011, after my Sahara Unlimited JK sat out in a parking lot w/ it's matte , textured ,black Freedom-Top soaking up the Farenheight , I wondered to myself if I couldn't wrap it w/ white vinyl.
Checking into the cost + durability of that idea, I shifted to wondering if I could whiten the top w/ paint .

It was about this time when my newb-self found this guy on a dedicated Jeep JK forum who'd already done it & confirmed my suspicion that it'd drop the internal temps significantly if it were white. . So began a long history of my thinking @ExWrench is one of the more ingenious Jeeper's & jkowners that I know.

this is still a kick-ass idea.

ExWrench likes this.

post #12 of 23 Old 11-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafergus View Post
thank you
i have the rugged ridge top insulation liners in my jeep since 2010?...In other words, its been there for a long time and so far no problem. I dont know how efficiently they work at blocking the heat out compared to other brands but they definitely work. I also have hotheadliners for the sides and those are much better made and higher quality then the RR. if i had to do it all again, i would just get all hotheadliners.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #13 of 23 Old 11-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Granite Guru

post #14 of 23 Old 11-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
i have the rugged ridge top insulation liners in my jeep since 2010?...In other words, its been there for a long time and so far no problem. I dont know how efficiently they work at blocking the heat out compared to other brands but they definitely work. I also have hotheadliners for the sides and those are much better made and higher quality then the RR. if i had to do it all again, i would just get all hotheadliners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1P View Post
Question for the folks with hard top liners: have you observed any sound insulation benefits (reduction in sound transmission) or just thermal insulation?

Last edited by ExWrench; 11-12-2019 at 07:42 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old 11-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Wheeler

I like the idea about painting the very top white, like School Buses do; that in combination with the insulation would be ideal.
post #16 of 23 Old 11-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Savant View Post
I like the idea about painting the very top white, like School Buses do; that in combination with the insulation would be ideal.
I agree absolutely. I'd run the Hothead's in a heartbeat if I needed 'em. I remember being assaulted by that top layer of 140 degree air in the cab when jumping in after parked in the sun closed up, and I consider it unacceptable. My thermal issues are handled, but I know parts of Arizona are seemingly 1/4 mile from the sun

With or without adding liners, I can't recommend the paint trick enough. Bang-for-buck-wise or from the standpoint of basic physics, it can't be beat. Going from the color with the highest emissivity to the lowest for as little as 20 bucks all-in gets a slam-dunk "yes" from me. Best durability requires adding hardener - I'll do that next time around . . . maybe I'm often tempted to paint the whole outside of the hard top white, but I dig sneaky mods

post #17 of 23 Old 11-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Question for the folks with hard top liners: have you observed any sound insulation benefits (reduction in sound transmission) or just thermal insulation?
its been awhile but iirc there's less of that pulsing noise. fyi- my floor has been insulated too so now I feel a lot of the road noises is coming through the doors. Im running 37x13.5 Toyo MT's so its going to be noisy either way lol

Painting the top of my jeep white has been on the to-do list for sometime now. i think it will help a lot with the heat deflection
ExWrench likes this.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #18 of 23 Old 11-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I found it helps the sound and also makes the stereo sound better. I have the full mopar kit so on top and sides. In winter where it is often minus 20For so in My neck of the woods helps feel warmer.
ExWrench likes this.
post #19 of 23 Old 11-21-2019, 06:08 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Kill Mat on hard top and tub

I used this https://www.amazon.com/Kilmat-Deaden...omotive&sr=1-1

on my hard top and most if the tub. i live in Oklahoma so it gets stupid hot here in the summer. it looks unfinished so i will eventually install a head liner. but it made a noticeable difference in noise and temp over the summer. im sure with the head liner it will work even better.
ExWrench likes this.

Do no harm but take NO SHIT
post #20 of 23 Old 11-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Absolutely man. Major sound improvement for my radio.
ExWrench likes this.
post #21 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 06:39 AM
Wheeler

Gonna do this one day
post #22 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not a complete writeup, sorry.

Here's most of what I've shared, extracted from my oddball mods thread for your convenience:

Not shown: the 2 removable panels, I removed and processed on sawhorses.
THANK YOU ALL definitely am going to paint the white .... and maybe go with Hothead later ...... SOOO now any ideas about insulating the floor ,,,, if you have been July in Arizona it definitely gets extreme hot. I see a lot of sound deadeners but nothing for heat
post #23 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Wheeler

I did double-sided aluminum/wool blanket firewall insulation on my F-350 firewall and floor years back.
Killed road noise and what heat there was beforehand; the thinner, more dense insulation worked better with oem carpet.

Most of they guys also use similar products to reduce the crazy excessive heat on the firewall building our Factory Fives.
Now that really DID kill the heat in the foot well; and without it, it was uncomfortable to rest your right calf against the firewall.
There are pics of the install somewhere, but would have to dig them up if you want to see.
If you go to FFCars and do a search on insulation you'll see a many pics of heat-reducing wraps guys used in the foot wells.

Last edited by KBED; 12-01-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode