JKOwners Forum banner

THE LIFT FROM HELL!!!

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  clayton8321 
#1 ·
Hi Guys!

Sorry for newbie, dumb, stupid, obvious question as I don't know too much about the subject but want to learn. Got friends in my head to lift jeep, which I did for my 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4-Door Sahara. Put on BFG KO2 315/70/17 for 2.5 lift and Teraflex kit, as it was "highly" recommended by friend's friend, who I now think he's never owned a Jeep.

Despite looking great, I now have two problems: when I go over potholes or over bumps, there's a huge loud "thump" in back as if shock contract to their full capacity and jeep frame absorbs rest of impact so it makes cabin almost shutter. Do I need different shocks, longer shocks, etc.?

Also, if I go uneven road conditions or grooves on road, my steering gets very loose. Is the reason that I need a new steering stabilizer?

Sometimes I think I should've just left my Jeep the way it was when I bought it. "If it ain't broke, why fix it!"

Guys, again sorry for novice questions. Any suggestions or recommendations are GREATLY appreciated as I hope to get such a rough and loose ride in my rear view mirror.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Front and rear track bar brackets and shocks for the 2.5" lift will help a great deal. Later, go with adjustable track bars to better center the axles.

A steering stabilizer has nothing to do with this. It's the geometry change that your feeling and the shocks being limited in down stroke from the lift.

Many lifts are what I consider starter packs. People like to buy an affordable lift instead of a more costly comprehensive package. Then they eventually but all of those missing components as they try to make the starter kit right.

Your Jeep will get back to factory like ride once you get things right.

You may also consider the front lower control arm geometry correction brackets by AEV or Terraflex. That will help with the caster change and flighty steering.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
what actual TF lift kit did you install? there are several from very basic to pretty detailed and complete. Are you sure you installed everything correctly and torqued every thing properly. No way any one can answer you questions or help you if they don't know all the details. good photos of the suspension help.

#8 ·
Reactions: rlee
#12 ·
Photos of things like the track bars, bump stops, and shocks would help find what the issue is. Did you mount a bigger tire on the spare rack? Check the rear cargo compartment to see if anything may be bouncing around in cubby. Did you put the tires on the factory wheels?

You may want to read the link in my signature on lifts for more info.

#13 ·
Please give us as much detail as possible on the components of this kit. Since you said it was a TF kit with shocks, you must have the 9550s. Garbage shocks. Throw them away and get a set of Rancho 9000XLs. If budget is a concern, the 5000X are a nice compromise (around 4-5 setting of the 9000XLs). You want the RS999329/330 or RS55329/330 combination of part numbers.

Better shocks are available but depends on your use of this rig and budget. The above will be a drastic inprovement.

If no caster correction was done at the time of the lift, get a set of correction brackets for mostly street driving (keeps LCA more flat for better ride). Rancho, AEV, or TF all have decent ones. I lean towards the Rancho due to the preweld construction. This will solve the flighty wandering steering.

Also, make sure that you are running the correct tire pressure. Start out at 28 PSI and go from there. This will help with ride quality, flighty steering, and tire wear.

If you would like any further help or sourcing parts for your decissions, PM, email, or call.

Have a blessed and prosperous day!

Allen

#17 · (Edited)

So, based on your initial comment , OP, you got a " friend of a friend - who may or may not exist solely within your head - to recommend & then install lift components & the wheels/tires you mentioned?

if these friends are imaginary & only in your head ,....

seriously , was the TeraFlex lift purchased new or used? It's weird you have no bumpstop addition in front but I see the 2" riser on rear.

either way , those shocks are known to be less than stellar. it sounds ,from your description, as though the coilsprings might be not be effectively supporting the weight of the Jeep & that, on each bump in road , you're bottoming out to the bumppad in rear . That can occur when the dampener isn't being effective.

have you removed one shock back there ,just to test it is functioning properly?
Are those teraflex coils or stock with spacers ?

I'd pull shocks & test my suspension stroke , if I were you.

key info would be if that was a new or a used lift .

likewise , the steering can be effected greatly by rollcenter but you appear to have the TeraFlex rear trackbar rise bracket . So , it's also possible the TeraFlex steering stabilizer shock is also not up to task though I'd be more willing to bet your tierod and or draglink or balljoints are worn & why you're getting wonky steering .

#24 ·
Thanks a lot for you detailed reply! The lift was purchased new as I just bought what the imaginary guy told me to buy with my very real money ;) Yes, those are Teraflex coils. I haven't taken out a shock to test as I really wasn't too sure what the problem was. I will definitely get you suggestions in motion and checked by my imaginary shop! hahaha

#22 ·
You don't have things set up correctly. Both the front and rear shocks are not being fully used. The rears look like too much bump stop unless the bump is keeping tires from rubbing, You front sway bar links are too short and can create a serious issue if you go off road. You should flex out your set up and bump stop the system to prevent tire rub, then size the shocks or move brackets to get all you can from them. Looking at it now you likely have less overall travel than when the jeep was stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.