160K Miles Too Much? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

160K Miles Too Much?

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some opinions. I'm in the market for a new vehicle and I have been looking at Jeeps. I have found a 2008 that has a 4" lift, fox struts which have just been replaced, wheels and oversized tires, hard top, Thule roof rack, and a super chip system. He daily drives it and takes it to the beach, but he has never been off roading with it. The only issue I have with it is that it has 160K miles. I pulled the CARFAX and it looks like it has been taken care of for the most part. The current owner is the third owner and he's been taking it to a mechanic that is good with Jeeps. He says he hasn't had any problems with it and has owned it for the past 40K to 50K miles or so. He knew the previous owner who drove it mainly highway. I have been searching through all the Jeep forums to formulate a decision, but some people say high mileage is okay for TJ's and I haven't really seen much regarding JKs. I literally can't stop thinking how much I like this one because everything I want is already done on it. My question is, should I pull the trigger or pass on this? FYI, I am slightly mechanically inclined as I have done cams, clutch swaps, suspension upgrades, etc., but I have never done anything involved like replacing a motor. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 06:40 AM
JKO Addict!

If the price is right, go for it. Worst case there are plenty of somewhat low mileage engines you can pick up from LS/Hemi swap shops to replace yours if it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

have a compression test run on the 3.8l .
Ask how much oil she is consuming per change-cycle. If he has a good Jeep mechanic , they will know.

There are some 3.8l v6 that keep on going & have moved well beyond 200, 250k. Others, less.
You cannot compare it to the inline6. That isn't fair. Nothing is comparable to the 4.0l HO Inline6 .

bfj aka tambil likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
have a compression test run on the 3.8l .
Ask how much oil she is consuming per change-cycle. If he has a good Jeep mechanic , they will know.

There are some 3.8l v6 that keep on going & have moved well beyond 200, 250k. Others, less.
You cannot compare it to the inline6. That isn't fair. Nothing is comparable to the 4.0l HO Inline6 .

Is it an auto or a stick ?
The 3.8 is a turd for power but not a bad motor really , they do use oil though . But like Alan says there are an abundant supply of them out there ,
The 3.8 and an auto trans is really weak in the motor department , but much better with the six speed .
The 4.0 Inline six is a much better motor than the V-6 ever thought about being .

You can always drop a Chevy or a Hemi in it anyway , they should have come from the factory that way in my humble opinion.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Rock God

my '08 has 150K on it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to FL from WI again. it helps that I have owned it since new, but I am not worried about the mileage on it.

price would be the biggest factor.

2008 JK
6spd
3.73:1
post #6 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 06:35 AM
Granite Guru

If it makes you feel any better about the 160K miles, I have 282,000 on my 2008. I burn about a quart of oil every 4,000 miles. i would not hesitate to drive to Orlando from Detroit with it.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 03:51 PM

This model has been known to have transmission and engine overheating issues. I would check if it has the trans and engine coolers. Someone else may be able to add more to this. I was told it affected the JK line from 2008-2018.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 06:20 PM

I have 195,000 miles and counting. I would have no worries taking it cross country, doesnt burn any oil, compression is great and plugs bur perfect. Yes the 3.8 is gutless, but the way I look at it isI will run it until it dies then look at an LS swap which if done right, isnt too much more than a reman 3.8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode