JKOwners Forum banner

Looking for a smaller muffler

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Attenuator 
#1 ·
Dudes. I have a 2018 JKU Sahara. 40k miles owned since new. Looking for a smaller muffler to replace this huge ass trash can under the Jeep. I absolutely do not want a loud replacement. I would like something as quite as stock but could live with a little more noise but not “hell yea!” loud.

Also, I’m not interested in replacing anything forward of the cat. I want all that intact. Just looking to lose a little weight and some bulk.

What are your suggestions? Thanks y’all.

#3 ·
i think any smaller muffler you out in will be louder than the old one. i think i used to use a California turbo muffler if i remember correctly it was bot bad and pep boys have them.

#4 ·

it's a v-6 ; how loud is it gonna get or good can it ever really sound? :wink_animate:

seriously, the Dynomax mufflers are the best sounding , lower priced option on the 3.8 or 3.6 in my opinion. Initially sound a little loud but quickly mellow to a suitable growl that isn't rattly or piercing nor like a slammed Honda fartcannon.
I use the dynomax , pre-axle dump but others really like it ,together w/ a resonator , on the Pentastar like OPs.

Somebody on some other site has a good write-up or video of it being used on an orange Pentastar JK , iirc.

#5 ·
On those Dynomax mufflers, what size can you fit in between the frame rails and driveshaft? I'm looking to change mine up too. I had a Flowmaster 40 in the back, that ****** was loud. Changed it to a Flowmaster 50 (little larger) and it's loud too. Hasn't mellowed at all.

Hard part for me is having a 2 door, so not much room in that area front to back.

#6 · (Edited)
The Flowmaster 50 series was the biggest can I could fit in front of the axle on my 2 door, and I wanted less sound.

EDIT: Note - evap needs relocation to put a Flowmaster 50 in front of rear axle on a 2-door.

I relocated the evap. to make room for the FM50, which was a huge upgrade over the MBRP muffler that was there.
I actually ran a Supertrapp diffuser for years to make the MBRP tolerable. Tailpipe was impossible at that time.

Recently I added a resonator behind the rear axle and it knocked off a solid (estimated) 3dB :D

Because of self-created obstacles, it took a bit of fiddling to get it done on my Jeep.
Hopefully it would be much easier if your rear suspension is not "odd" :laughing:.

Here's what I did: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/scrapbook-picture-request/88448-exwrenchs-oddball-mods-sneaky-stretch-8.html#post4460896
I'd do it again in a heartbeat - I'm super happy with that modification.

#7 ·
If you don't want to relocate your evap. canister, you could put a resonator inline ahead of the rear axle and a relatively large muffler post-axle. There's a straight enough section forward of the axle that cutting in a resonator is a cake walk. Rough rule of thumb: case volume is directly proportional to muffler effectiveness - there's no free lunch.

it's a v-6 ; how loud is it gonna get or good can it ever really sound? :wink_animate:
Loud enough to drone obnoxiously, and loud enough to sound like absolute dog shit (most V6s do, IMHO).

I hated my 3.8 through the MBRP once I cut off the tailpipe at the rear axle (necessary evil at the time).

The Flowmaster 50 pre-axle made it tolerable / OK, but adding a resonator after axle and a full tail pipe brought it back to "good".

If it's not fast, it shouldn't sound furious :laughing:

#10 ·
Another vote for the dynomax pre-axle dump...quietest and least obnoxious i could find. Also, it’s cheap as hell and you can DIY. I recently bought another one of these mufflers off amazon for my brother’s bday for $62. I wouldn’t say it sounds good, but it’s acceptable lol. Nothing i listened too impressed me, but we all know you just don’t make a V6 sound good, ain’t happening

#12 ·
I really wouldn't know which one would fit your requirements but don't even look at Gibson (definition of a fart pipe).

My brothers daughter and kids were in the Jeep a couple of weekends ago , a ricer JK pulled up next to us (Gibson Sticker and all) and took off from the light and the little girl said "That Jeep just farted,Hehehe".

I laughed so hard tears were causing vision problems , had to pull over and clean the sunglasses.:laugh:
Ryan that one is for you .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.