Looking for a smaller muffler - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child
  • 1 Post By ExWrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-04-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Looking for a smaller muffler

Dudes. I have a 2018 JKU Sahara. 40k miles owned since new. Looking for a smaller muffler to replace this huge ass trash can under the Jeep. I absolutely do not want a loud replacement. I would like something as quite as stock but could live with a little more noise but not “hell yea!” loud.

Also, I’m not interested in replacing anything forward of the cat. I want all that intact. Just looking to lose a little weight and some bulk.

What are your suggestions? Thanks y’all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-04-2019, 11:09 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I had a muffler shop cut just aft of the pipe right below the driver seat and weld in a dynomax muffler and then repipe from there to exhaust out the back. Freed up lots of room.
ExWrench likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Granite Guru

i think any smaller muffler you out in will be louder than the old one. i think i used to use a California turbo muffler if i remember correctly it was bot bad and pep boys have them.

Ruben

07 JK Rubicon - Banks Cold air intake and Monster exhaust - ARB front and rear bumpers - Warn 9.5Ti - OME 4inch JK Lift - 33inch MTZ

01 Grand Cherokee - inline 6 - Jeep Hitch Receiver - Jeep Fog-Light kit - Jeep Bug Deflector - Jeep Wind Deflector - Jeep Tow Hooks - Jeep Sub-woofer - OME 1 1/2 coils - Dynomax 2 1/2 Cat back - Running 265 75 16 - K&N air Filter and a modified air box

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-11-2019, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

it's a v-6 ; how loud is it gonna get or good can it ever really sound?

seriously, the Dynomax mufflers are the best sounding , lower priced option on the 3.8 or 3.6 in my opinion. Initially sound a little loud but quickly mellow to a suitable growl that isn't rattly or piercing nor like a slammed Honda fartcannon.
I use the dynomax , pre-axle dump but others really like it ,together w/ a resonator , on the Pentastar like OPs.

Somebody on some other site has a good write-up or video of it being used on an orange Pentastar JK , iirc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-11-2019, 07:51 AM
Rock God

On those Dynomax mufflers, what size can you fit in between the frame rails and driveshaft? I'm looking to change mine up too. I had a Flowmaster 40 in the back, that fucker was loud. Changed it to a Flowmaster 50 (little larger) and it's loud too. Hasn't mellowed at all.

Hard part for me is having a 2 door, so not much room in that area front to back.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #6 of 9 Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
On those Dynomax mufflers, what size can you fit in between the frame rails and driveshaft? I'm looking to change mine up too. I had a Flowmaster 40 in the back, that fucker was loud. Changed it to a Flowmaster 50 (little larger) and it's loud too. Hasn't mellowed at all.

Hard part for me is having a 2 door, so not much room in that area front to back.
The Flowmaster 50 series was the biggest can I could fit in front of the axle on my 2 door, and I wanted less sound.

EDIT: Note - evap needs relocation to put a Flowmaster 50 in front of rear axle on a 2-door.

I relocated the evap. to make room for the FM50, which was a huge upgrade over the MBRP muffler that was there.
I actually ran a Supertrapp diffuser for years to make the MBRP tolerable. Tailpipe was impossible at that time.

Recently I added a resonator behind the rear axle and it knocked off a solid (estimated) 3dB

Because of self-created obstacles, it took a bit of fiddling to get it done on my Jeep.
Hopefully it would be much easier if your rear suspension is not "odd" .

Here's what I did: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/scrap...ml#post4460896
I'd do it again in a heartbeat - I'm super happy with that modification.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 09-11-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahambramasmi View Post
Dudes. I have a 2018 JKU Sahara. 40k miles owned since new. Looking for a smaller muffler to replace this huge ass trash can under the Jeep. I absolutely do not want a loud replacement. I would like something as quite as stock but could live with a little more noise but not “hell yea!” loud.

Also, I’m not interested in replacing anything forward of the cat. I want all that intact. Just looking to lose a little weight and some bulk.

What are your suggestions? Thanks y’all.
If you don't want to relocate your evap. canister, you could put a resonator inline ahead of the rear axle and a relatively large muffler post-axle. There's a straight enough section forward of the axle that cutting in a resonator is a cake walk. Rough rule of thumb: case volume is directly proportional to muffler effectiveness - there's no free lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

it's a v-6 ; how loud is it gonna get or good can it ever really sound?
Loud enough to drone obnoxiously, and loud enough to sound like absolute dog shit (most V6s do, IMHO).

I hated my 3.8 through the MBRP once I cut off the tailpipe at the rear axle (necessary evil at the time).

The Flowmaster 50 pre-axle made it tolerable / OK, but adding a resonator after axle and a full tail pipe brought it back to "good".

If it's not fast, it shouldn't sound furious
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #8 of 9 Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post

the "Crawler" pre-axle dump is a 22" long can that iirc is about 11-13" diameter? It never has even touched the skid for the evap canister that is between it and the rear Woods shaft. Plenty of room on mine with the Dynomax 39516 can in that spot between frame and evap skid.

I have heard others say that about the MBRP can oin thre 3.8s , @ExWrench . The new setup kicks ass! Great idea. I can't use that area above axle but if I could I would try what you've done there. Nice!

post #9 of 9 Old 09-12-2019, 02:17 PM

I had the Dynomax crawler set up. I really liked the set up but couldn't stand the drone at highway speeds. And this was with 37" Iroks and stereo appropriately cranked up. Went back to stock and I'm still looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode