JKOwners Forum banner

Help! 2012 JKUR - P2317 - Ignition Coil 6 Secondary Circuit Insufficient Ionization

14K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeep-Medic 
#1 ·
I need some help with my JK. Last week I threw the code P2317 - Ignition Coil 6 Secondary Circuit - Insufficient Ionization. I tried looking it up but all the threads I found didn't lead to a conclusion on what the issue is. I replaced all 6 Coils and Spark Plugs and the issue went away..or so I thought. 6 days later and the code is back.

Does anyone have any experience with this code? What is the solution?

TYIA

#2 ·
On my lunch break today I decided to wiggle the coil pack harness around a little bit while it was idling. Didn't seem to make a difference. So I started limping it home (live a couple of miles away) and it was misfiring pretty bad. Then about halfway home it stopped and started running smoothly again. I cleared the code out and it idled and revved fine and code didn't come back right away like it did this morning.

What could cause this intermittent issue?

#4 ·
OP,

Check grounds . . .
Look up where all the ground straps in the engine bay are supposed to be, and check 'em all. You'll likely find at least one that needs attention.

Could be something else, but at this point I'd verify all my grounds before dicking around with more hard stuff. Taking a few minutes to rule out an entire half of the circuit is time well spent.

Do you have a multimeter? If not, I'd get one. :D

#8 ·
Yea I am going to do a leakdown test to see if I am eligible for the warranty. Has to be 25% or greater. My started also just took a crap on me and doesn't engage the ring gear. It just spins. New one should be here today for me to install and continue diagnosing the issue

#9 ·
I need some help with my JK. Last week I threw the code P2317 - Ignition Coil 6 Secondary Circuit - Insufficient Ionization. I tried looking it up but all the threads I found didn't lead to a conclusion on what the issue is. I replaced all 6 Coils and Spark Plugs and the issue went away..or so I thought. 6 days later and the code is back.

Does anyone have any experience with this code? What is the solution?

TYIA
I had the same experience. This is what I found.

According to the diagnostics for those codes, it saying that the pcm detects that the secondary part of the ignition system (plugs, wires, coil) has an incorrect burn time or not firing at all. Possible causes: plugs, wires, coil, asd power circuit from relay to coil, coil control circuit from pcm, or pcm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.