Yet another P0344 thread... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Yet another P0344 thread...

Hey guys,

First time poster long time lurker. My JK has started throwing the infamous P0344 code.

I bought it used back in December. It is a 2012 JKUR with 27k miles. There is a 2Ē mopar lift with 35s. It came with 20x9 wheels but I recently swapped them for 17x9.

Now hereís what happened... I had just swapped the new wheels and tires on the Jeep. This was maybe my 3rd ride with them. I was driving down the highway and our roads are not very good - so I hit a couple of rough spots while doing 65mph. Next thing I know I hear a ding, followed by the CEL followed by the traction control light (car with squirly lines). As I try to move over into the right lane I notice the Jeep is in limp mode and I have no power... it was in failsafe mode.

I finally got it off the road. I turned it off and back on again and the traction light went away but the CEL was still there. The traction light didnít come on again until I was almost to my parents house (after hitting a bump). We hooked it up to the computer and pulled the P0344 code - camshaft positioning sensor ďAĒ intermittent.

Ran to the auto parts store and got two new ones, replaced both the passenger and the driver and cleared the code. Took it around the block a few times hitting the same bump I did on the way there and nothing, thought it was good.

Well, as I drove off to go to my house (about 20 miles away) I decided to intentionally hit this rough part over the freeway to see if the same thing happened. Sure enough it did, only this time the Jeep would not clear the traction control light and stayed in limp mode. I managed to bypass it by going manual to get home.

From what I have searched, thereís tons of ďpotentialĒ fixes but nothing solid... typically seems to be the pig tail harness at the sensor plug. So in troubleshooting, while the Jeep was running I specifically wiggled both driver and passenger CPS and couldnít get the traction light to go off - CEL still is there though. I looked at the pigtails and couldnít see notable evidence that the wires were chaffing, splitting, etc (and Iíve installed car audio stuff quite a few times so Iím pretty familiar with that).

I noticed my steering wheel was slightly off center so I fixed it by adjusting my drag link. Iíve also heard the wheel sensors could throw the traction light, so my next fix will probably looking at those.

Has anyone else been able to find a solution to this?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2019, 10:49 PM
Granite Guru

First off camshaft positioning sensors have nothing to do with traction control. You'll need a scanner to see if a wheel speed sensor is not working then go from there.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
First off camshaft positioning sensors have nothing to do with traction control. You'll need a scanner to see if a wheel speed sensor is not working then go from there.

From my research on the forums, the CEL and traction control light go on in combo with this specific code for some reason. There are several forums pertaining to that exact behavior related or not. And the fact I can replicate it and reproduce identical results.

Wheel speed sensors are already on the list of things to check.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2019, 11:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmcfarlin View Post
From my research on the forums, the CEL and traction control light go on in combo with this specific code for some reason. There are several forums pertaining to that exact behavior related or not. And the fact I can replicate it and reproduce identical results.

Wheel speed sensors are already on the list of things to check.

The traction control light just let's you know that the traction control is activated. The cel light let's you know there's a problem. If you pulled a code for cam positioning sensor thats a different problem.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
The traction control light just let's you know that the traction control is activated. The cel light let's you know there's a problem. If you pulled a code for cam positioning sensor thats a different problem.

Yes I know what each light represents. What I donít understand is why the CEL comes on throwing P0344 ( CPS intermittent ) and 2 seconds after that the TCL comes on.

Are they related? Maybe, who knows. Whatís got me puzzled is why I can reproduce it and get the same results.

Iíve also read it could have something to do with the oil galley plugs inside the head coming loose...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode