3Likes
  • 1 Post By Riptide9
  • 1 Post By babiehughie
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-10-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Synthetic Line

So Im looking to (finally) upgrade my Bulldog winch from steel to synthetic line. I go to Bulldog's site and their line is pretty damn pricey so I start doing some research. Warn's line is cheaper which kind of shocked me. Get on Amazon and find something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Win...ateway&sr=8-50

Its a bit shorter than Warn for example but I think its rated for a higher weight

So the questions are:
Does anyone have experience with the one I listed?
I prefer American products but most of these lines come from China anyway so is the extra cost of Warn's line worth it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-10-2019, 07:14 AM
Wheeler

Garage

1/2" line is larger than the standard 3/8... It might be a tight fit to get 92ft of that on the spool

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
post #3 of 15 Old 07-10-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
1/2" line is larger than the standard 3/8... It might be a tight fit to get 92ft of that on the spool
There are 3/8 options as well. All of them significantly cheaper than Warn which is cheaper than Bulldog.

https://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Win...s%2C166&sr=8-8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ALASHA; 07-10-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm interested as well. I've been working on resurrecting an old Warn 8274 for my old Scout II. Thinking of putting some of this line on it as I don't think I would ever be happy with wire rope again.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #5 of 15 Old 07-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have run several of the 3/8 $100 synthetic ropes from Amazon just like the one you posted and have never had an issue.... and I winch a lot lol

last one I just bought for my JK
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ALASHA likes this.

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
post #6 of 15 Old 07-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
I have run several of the 3/8 $100 synthetic ropes from Amazon just like the one you posted and have never had an issue.... and I winch a lot lol

last one I just bought for my JK
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That looks identical to the Warn rope I have on my winch right now, to the last detail (minus branding).
Bought it on sale a few years back, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhere north of 113 bucks

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #7 of 15 Old 07-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Check out Custom Splice. Dude is very good at making the ropes and easy to deal with. fast shipping and based in Kansas. I think he used to be a vendor here.
2qik2see likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I have 2 legs, but 3 knees....right knee.....left knee.....wee knee....
Jack of all Trades, Master of Some
post #8 of 15 Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by babiehughie View Post
Check out Custom Splice. Dude is very good at making the ropes and easy to deal with. fast shipping and based in Kansas. I think he used to be a vendor here.
Might want to check out the thread about Custom Splice on Pirate4x4 before ordering from them. Many recent not so good stories.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 04:33 AM
Wheeler

good day

You may want to do some research.
I've been told you can put wire on a winch that had synthetic line but can't put synthetic line on a winch that had cable.
Burrs on the spool damage it during use? Also heat from the motor can cause damage as the winch gets "hot" in places a synthetic line winch doesn't?

Anyway, good luck

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Door
Treks Rear Shock Relocators
MOPAR Extended Rubicon Rock Rails
Expedition One Front Skid
Kilby Muffler Skid
Rockhard 4x4 Belly Skid & Evap Skid
Olympic Receiver Hitch Front Bumper
Tuffy Stereo Lock
Cobra 75 CB
Cooltech CB Antenna & Mount
Kilby Switch Panel
1500 Watt Power Inverter
Glow Lights Footwell Lights
OK Offroad Fuse Box
Front & Rear ARB Lockers
5.13 Gears
post #10 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 06:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Yeah, I can see that a chewed up drum might be hard on new synthetic line, but I'll be sandblasting/sanding/polishing it up then either painting/powdercoating or maybe cadmium plating it.

Heat is an issue with every winch. I'm not sure that winches with synthetic line are designed any differently than those with wire rope. In fact, you can often find the same winch available with either.

The trick with heat is to NOT power out. Powering out on most winches does so by running the motor to overpower the brake, which generates a great amount of heat due to the friction. Most of the time that brake is located inside of the drum and transfers that heat directly to the drum, and thus to the line. My cheapo winch has been used all afternoon on multiple occasions pulling trees, often at full load/stall. I occasionally do power out, just because sometimes you cannot disengage when there is still tension on the line. The drum can get pretty hot but it's never been a real issue for me. I will note that my cheapo winch came with synthetic line, and the first 10 feet or so on the drum has a nylon jacket around it to protect it from drum burrs and maybe even the heat transfer a bit.

In my case, with the Warn 8274, the brake is external, so I'm not too worried about the heat on the synthetic line.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....

post #11 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfe jeep View Post
You may want to do some research.
I've been told you can put wire on a winch that had synthetic line but can't put synthetic line on a winch that had cable.
Burrs on the spool damage it during use? Also heat from the motor can cause damage as the winch gets "hot" in places a synthetic line winch doesn't?

Anyway, good luck
There is no difference between a winch that came with synthetic line and one that came with steel cable. I would be surprised to see my drum scratched up when I unspool it to replace the line.

The Amazon lines quoted above all have an initial heat guard layer.

post #12 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 AM
Rock God

Guru i see you are planning to rebuild that 8274. That is a sweet winch, let me know if you don't want to take the undertaking and I take it off your hands.

As for grease to use in the rebuild, what are you planning on using? I have an older Ramsey. I need to show it a little TLC and repack it. Last time I tried to unspool, I had to use the motor to let the line out. Not fun and too slow.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #13 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Guru i see you are planning to rebuild that 8274. That is a sweet winch, let me know if you don't want to take the undertaking and I take it off your hands.

As for grease to use in the rebuild, what are you planning on using? I have an older Ramsey. I need to show it a little TLC and repack it. Last time I tried to unspool, I had to use the motor to let the line out. Not fun and too slow.
I have not been too far down the restoration path just yet. I bought a 1975 International Scout II with a custom front bumper that has the foot-forward mount for the 8274. Since I've had zero luck getting the 8274 to fit on the JK, I figure it HAS to find a home on the Scout. I've ordered a handful of replacement parts, and I've tested a bit with sandblasting and wrinkle painting the endplate.

The real teardown and rebuild is yet to happen or really be planned. I'm considering a wild build using the Gigglepin dual motor setup, but that's getting to be a lot of coin for a winch I might not ever use.

Still would be cool though.

_

post #14 of 15 Old 07-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Dyneema is basically what youíre looking for.

I donít have experience with that specific line.
Iíve had Viking line on my buggy for years but friends have used all different brands. They did well unless abused. Just make sure you use the abrasion sleeve properly and youíll probably be fine. Fraying it will kill it quickly.

The winch doesnít matter but the fair lead does.

Make sure you spool it under considerable tension. If you donít, first time you use it the line will dig deep into the spooled line like a fishing reel.

I went with 1/2Ē. It was too much to fit on the spool so I cut it and respliced it. Use the excess as an extension, tow rope or make some some soft shackles.

Burrs on the cross member rods or the sides of the spool could be a problem but youíll probably never get down to the barrel of the spool.

Last edited by Discarded; 07-11-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
prices beig what they are now, I would go wi th 3/8" but, fwiw
@ALASHA , I have run 2 different winches w/ 85' of 1/2" TuffStuff 4x4 synthetic line that fit on my RR 10,5k winch fine but wrapped maybe a bit tighter is all. If you're on budget , that is a great deal. I have had my JKU supported +hung off that line . It is worthy. I think some winches might struggle with 94 feet of it but 85 was fine.

That material is exactly the same synthetic dyneema stranded-line as the 85' of 1/2" MasterPull line I have presently. I think the 1/2" has a 20k plus breaking point where the 3/8" is around 17,5K lbs? I will get this for my next line. Fwiw, I ,also, had to modify the 1/2" line I am running now since it was originally 94' ( i got a deal) so I cut + altered the end that affixes to drum & have been runnin it for 3 seasons.

I pull line maybe a few times a year ,so for me the 1/2" synth has never been an issue; it just was obvious I was a cheap mofo.

hope that helps.

(edit: i had to be more accurate; I think it more like 2-3 times annually, heh.)
KrawlOff-Road.com likes this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 07-12-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in