Running with the devil. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By mud2moab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Running with the devil.

I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 53,000 miles.

In one swoop over this winter, installed an Atlas rear bumper, XRC gen 2 front bumper with 12K winch, 2.5" lift RockKrawler complete short arm suspension, Steel "D" hole 17" wheels with KA02 35", G2 44 complete front axle with 4.56 gears attached to ARB lockers front and back, G2 gold axles in the rear stock housing, Yeti steering, Gobi Ranger roof rack, and KC Pro Six light bar. Has auto transmission

With this being its first summer since its make over, when the outside temps are mid 90's or higher it runs hot ( as high as 240F) going down the freeway doing about 70-75 MPH (2800 to 3000 RPM range), when the RPMS are in the 3K to 5K range when you are getting on and off the throttle in stop and go thraffic and if you hit any kind of upward grade; it does all this with the A/C going full out. Putting around town or once the Jeep levels out on the freeway and kicks into OD it cools right down. Even going off road it does fine.

I replaced the radiator with a new OEM one four months ago because nobody makes an aftermarket worth a crap ( even my local 4 Wheel Parts quit installing aftermarket because they are nothing but crap). The whole cooling system has been flushed and new coolant added last Friday.

I'm thinking of going with an AEV hood and some vented fender liners.. What do you think? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Did you swap the radiator out before or after you started noticing the running hot issue?

You seem to have the right gear ratio for the tire size you are running. The xrc bumper recesses the winch so it shouldnt be obstructing too much and you really didnt add that much weight so the round of mods dont feel like the issue to me.

As for the AEV Hood, I think the vents are positioned in such a way that benefit high speed driving over crawling. There are better options out there...That said, I openly admit to having a bias on this matter.

P.S.
Arent the Pentastars known to run hot so that number isnt out of the norm for those motors???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

This may be a minor consideration, but it could be worthwhile to add a lower front air dam / spoiler or whatever they call that thing. Guessing you removed the oem version with the new bumper. The dam helps create a low pressure area behind the radiator, gives the air passing through the radiator some place to go. I think vented fender liners can work the same way.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Granite Guru

How much of the radiator is blocked off now (winch, lightbar, etc)??

While the PStar runs “hot” normally 240 is getting up there. With added obstruction, it is not unusual for air to be forced up and right over the hood as opposed to through the rad at high speed. When in doubt, use a few streamers and a GoPro to see what the air is doing at high speed.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Did you swap the radiator out before or after you started noticing the running hot issue?

You seem to have the right gear ratio for the tire size you are running. The xrc bumper recesses the winch so it shouldnt be obstructing too much and you really didnt add that much weight so the round of mods dont feel like the issue to me.

As for the AEV Hood, I think the vents are positioned in such a way that benefit high speed driving over crawling. There are better options out there...That said, I openly admit to having a bias on this matter.

P.S.
Arent the Pentastars known to run hot so that number isnt out of the norm for those motors???
I changed out the radiator during the winter before it got hot because it was leaking.

As far as the AEV, that when I need the cooling the most is at high speed. Farting around town and even going off road, it stays cool. According to the internet, the max temp is 230F. Thank you for your reply.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
How much of the radiator is blocked off now (winch, lightbar, etc)??

While the PStar runs “hot” normally 240 is getting up there. With added obstruction, it is not unusual for air to be forced up and right over the hood as opposed to through the rad at high speed. When in doubt, use a few streamers and a GoPro to see what the air is doing at high speed.
Not much. The winch sits low in the bumper. I took the grill inserts out, and it helped, but not by much. Great idea about the streamers!
Attached Images

post #7 of 16 Old 07-09-2019, 06:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
I changed out the radiator during the winter before it got hot because it was leaking.

As far as the AEV, that when I need the cooling the most is at high speed. Farting around town and even going off road, it stays cool. According to the internet, the max temp is 230F. Thank you for your reply.
Sorry for some reason I thought it was the other way around. Do you hear the fan kicking on when you start getting hot? And if it is, is it running at what looks/feels like full strength?

Still better options out there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Not much. The winch sits low in the bumper. I took the grill inserts out, and it helped, but not by much. Great idea about the streamers!
Pull those grill inserts out and make the same run while watching the temps....
post #9 of 16 Old 07-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
i have the same grill inserts and experienced high 240*F coolant temps too when i was driving in the mountains. In the 10 years ive owned the Jeep, 240*F was the hottest ive ever seen till i installed the grill inserts. When i got home i took them off but i haven't gone back into the mountains to see if it resolved the problem.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff

Last edited by Chris85xlt; 07-10-2019 at 09:22 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-09-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Sorry for some reason I thought it was the other way around. Do you hear the fan kicking on when you start getting hot? And if it is, is it running at what looks/feels like full strength?

Still better options out there
Yes they are working fine. Please tell me what other options do you recommend
post #11 of 16 Old 07-09-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I did that already. It seemed to help, but hardly noticeably.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

while the auto trans in the 07-11,then the 12s thru 18 3.6litre jk/JKUs all come from Dayton with one ' built-in' to the factory cooling system , once the OEM GVW exceeds 6000lbs ( armor, heavy tires& wheels,redonkulous heavy steel bumpers & winches then the subsequent cage or added goodies ...suddenly an automatic transmission designed to propel 4 adults in a 4 door Wrangler comfortably across 'murica ( Trail Tested !) ...once you add the weight of 3-4 humans to it in add-ons , well, after that adding anyone but a driver is going to be a regular effort ....add cargo & a slurpie & suddenly that tranny is working on those incline grades about 4-8 times as hard as it was designed to.
you need an aux tranny cooler that's gonna further cool the return tranny fluid lower plus can be more exposed than the lower quarter of the factory one you're using & that the top bit of that Warn is in front of slightly.

Not to mention , were I running heavier steel stuff like you , I'd have a much greater CFM fan doin my cooling , but that's just opinion.

If you have aux cooler , I missed you saying so .

the Jeep is a heavy pig. You beefed yours up. You like putting on a metal cage & four layers of heavy clothes then running to work with a bandana over your mouth & nose in June?
No?
Well, you're sorta doin that to your Jeep from looks of it. Aux cooler. Hood Louvers placed correctly or get positive airflow versus the deadspace lack of flow your bumper maybe generating under hood.

the Gobi & kc bar add lots of weight. You gotta plan for Jeep breathing before bolting this stuff on .

Rick Grimes likes this.

post #13 of 16 Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yes they are working fine. Please tell me what other options do you recommend
Air bubble in the cooling system?

post #14 of 16 Old 07-11-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Air bubble in the cooling system?
No, I just had the system flushed and coolant replaced last Friday.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-16-2019, 05:01 AM
Wheeler

I installed the Totlinnovatins hood on y 2010, and dropped my temp around 15 degrees, and picked up 2 MPG.
ALASHA likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-16-2019, 05:20 AM
Rock God

what about trying engine ice coolant. I have never tried it so don't know for sure but have heard it helps engines run cooler.

https://engineice.com/

2008 JK
6spd
3.73:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode