Looking for 3.6 engine - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By rockystock
  • 2 Post By Guruman
  • 3 Post By smiller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Looking for 3.6 engine

Hi everyone I hit the pothole from hell and now I apparently need a new engine! 200000 on current engine hit a pothole and the engine just died and wouldn't restart took it to shop replaced computer and would then restart but threw a bunch of cam crank synchronization codes. Techs replaced cam phasers,cam and crank position sensor and every other part they could think of still in limp mode now recommending a new engine for the low low price of 10000! Anyone near Illinois have a low miles engine for a 2012 jku?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-27-2019, 07:38 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

If you go with stock replacement, I'd recommend an aftermarket remanufactured engine, say, from Jasper or something. Chrysler engine manufacturing has a spotty reputation.

Second recommendation would be to source a take-out engine from one of the swap shops like Rubitrux or RPM Extreme.

Some hand tools and a Harbor Freight engine hoist, maybe a weekend, and you'd save thousands.

But for $10,000, you could probably do a diy hemi...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Joerolando2701 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-27-2019, 08:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

You need a new shop. The pothole is not likely to have damaged the block or rotating assembly of the engine. It's much more likely an electrical issue. Checking or swapping out the engine harness will likely reveal the issue.

Imagine swapping in a new engine only to find the same issues because it was electrical after all.
ALASHA and Joerolando2701 like this.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Ive been thinking electrical the whole time. Went to a local shop with a good rep and they found me a used 3.6 with 50000 miles and 5yr 100000 warranty for 4800 Installed and they are going to do whatever they can to avoid replacing the engine first but the rings are probably shot it goes through a quart of oil every fill up and valve ticking and dry starts all the time so its probably time anyway still paying on The loan and it's my mail jeep so gotta keep it going. 10000 quote was from stealership of course. Sure as hell wasnt going to pay that! Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 06-28-2019, 06:08 AM

Given the high oil consumption and mileage you're probably looking at an engine in the not too distant future in any event, but for the tech to recommend a new engine simply because they can't figure out your electrical problem is just hilariously incompetent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode