JKU ~8000mile Cross Country Road Trip - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 5th4x

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-09-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Question JKU ~8000mile Cross Country Road Trip

{tl;dr}
(First time jeep owner, cross country road trip, 8k miles in 23 days, looking for help)

Hello fellow Jeep owners,

Let me start off by saying Im sorry if this post doesn't belong on this board, this is my first time ever posting on a forum and also first time owning a Jeep. With that being said, I have a 2017 JKU Sahara that I bought used with 14k miles last August. It now has ~27k miles and I've taken it mudding a few times but luckily all has been well and it seems to be in great shape. As the title mentions I am taking a ~8000k mile road trip in ~23 days, with 1 (at times 2-3) other driver(s). I will include a rough, completely maxed out itinerary below. I like to be very adventurous and wing a lot of things which do not require planning. But I love my Jeep and it will be pretty stupid to take a road trip of this magnitude without hearing from those with more experience/wisdom and are willing to spare advice, tips, stories on anything ranging from Jeep pre-trip preparation, itinerary, overland traveling, road maintenance, camping, etc. I've read a bunch of forums and watched a ton of youtube videos, but nothing really suits my situation more than a custom forum post. Me and my buddies are only 24-25 and this will be the first time any of us take a road trip longer than a few days. Thank you for your responses in advance, and I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Florida
26h 23m — 1735 miles to —

White Sands National Monument, New Mexico
9h 27m — 564 miles to —

The Grand Canyon National Park
6h 41m -- 390miles -- to

Los Angeles, California
5h 42m — 310 miles to —

Yosemite National Park, California
4h 09m — 192 miles to —

San Francisco, California
7h 43m — 419 miles to —

Crater Lake, Oregon,
13h 32m — 771 miles to —

Glacier National Park, Montana
8h 15m— 433 miles to —

Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
9h 45m — 551 miles to —

Denver, Colorado
5h 39m -- 355miles to
Moab, Utah

2h 55m -- 174miles to
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park

30h 57m — 1992 miles to —
Florida

PS. I just got my oil changed and am looking into getting new tires. Trip is in 6 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Granite Guru

Hi and welcome,

A detail that will help us help you: are you planning on wheeling at any of your destinations? I see Moab, so I think yes, but I see L.A. and I think no. If it's just a road trip with camping, no big deal. If you're planning on wheeling Moab after 4,700 miles of road trip and 2,000 more to go, that's an entirely different trip.

SpartanToJo
post #3 of 10 Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanToJo View Post
Hi and welcome,

A detail that will help us help you: are you planning on wheeling at any of your destinations? I see Moab, so I think yes, but I see L.A. and I think no. If it's just a road trip with camping, no big deal. If you're planning on wheeling Moab after 4,700 miles of road trip and 2,000 more to go, that's an entirely different trip.

SpartanToJo
Hey thanks for the response,

The plan/goal isnt to go wheeling throughout the entire trip, but definitely do want to wheel at a few places like Moab and other great spots I learn about. Also hope to take dirt/trail roads to some of my destinations, when applicable. Forsure don't want to go to hard on the wheeling as I don't want to end up 4000 miles from home with a broken Jeep lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Get an OBD2 scan tool so you can check and clear error codes. I like the Kiwi 3 that connects via Bluetooth to my iPhone. I use it with the OBD Fusion app. Hopefully you don’t need it but have it just in case a check engine light or something else comes on.

Get a road atlas so you have maps of all the states and aren’t relying entirely on electronics for mapping.

Buy Charles Well’s offroad trail books for anyplace you’ll be like Colorado and Moab. You or your friends can plan trails while bored on the road and you’ll know the difficulty ratings. Also get the FunTreks app to follow GPS on your phone or ipad and know where you are in the book.

Carry a gallon jug of window washing fluid because you’ll go through a lot of it with bugs on the windshield. Consider getting a bug deflector for the front of the hood. I think mine makes the bug issue far more tolerable.

Use the Waze app for routing and traffic avoidance. Google Maps is also good and you can download maps to your phone or ipad for use without cell coverage. Consider getting a GPS antenna too because when you are in areas without cell coverage your phones location can be off since it uses cell towers to locate you. Dual makes a good one that sits on your dash.

Watch your gas gage especially in remote stretches so you never come close to running out between towns.

If you have Jeep issues there’s probably an AutoZone nearby. They are great for checking error codes and might have the parts you need. My son and his wife and daughter were recently on a road trip when their alternator went out. Not in a Jeep but AutoZone had the parts and they called somebody who came in on a holiday weekend Sunday and installed it for them.

Call your credit card company to let them know you’ll be traveling so they don’t freeze your account when their computers notice strange activity with charges far from your home. That’s happened to me more than once.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 11:52 AM
Granite Guru

Good stuff listed above.

Here are some things I would bring:

Tools:
Full set of metric sockets and open end wrenches
Breaker bar
Hammer
Screwdrivers
Air compressor or CO2 tank
Pressure gauge
Good jumper cables
Jack base
Tree saver
Tow straps
Mechanics gloves
Strong, long zip ties

Parts:
Spare serpentine belt
Transfer case linkage clip
Extra oil/fluids for tcase, axles
Coolant
Spare lug nuts
Spare fuses

Other:
Hitch mounted rack for cooler, spare fuel can, etc.
Comprehensive first aid kit
Plenty of potable water
Backup communication device
post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Great advice guys thank you, sometimes of this stuff I've already prepared but I will definitely look into your suggestions. Although I do have a question specifically to what SpartanToJo replied.

1. Did some quick research on replacing a serpentine belt for a 17' JK and doesn't seem like something a "rookie" should be doing, am I mistaken or only suggesting to have the spare parts incase I need them at a mechanic shop?

And another question for the forum, I have HID's for my headlights and fog lights; and also 2 HELLA Black Magic lamps mounted on my bull bar. Do you guys think that'll be enough lighting for the more remote parts of the country?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 PM
Granite Guru

Think really hard about who your travel companions are going to be.
Any where you are going off road research and get a list of towing and repair companies. Keep the contacts in a binder along with your maps. 20 minutes at home on the internet could save you hours on the road.
Doesn't AAA have a off road option?

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #8 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
Think really hard about who your travel companions are going to be.
Any where you are going off road research and get a list of towing and repair companies. Keep the contacts in a binder along with your maps. 20 minutes at home on the internet could save you hours on the road.
Doesn't AAA have a off road option?
haha they're close friends but trust me I hear ya. But I think AAA only provides off road service when you're off road within a certain distance; which wasn't much if I remember correctly.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 08:13 AM
Granite Guru

Serpentine belt replacement is certainly more complicated on the 3.6, but you should be able to change it in less than an hour with basic hand tools.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-14-2019, 11:41 AM

Carrying an extra serpentine belt for a 2017 seems a bit extreme to me. I’ve never had any belt break on any vehicle and I replace them when the owners manual recommends it. I’ve been driving for 44 years. Have I just been lucky?
rlee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode