• 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By loud_pipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-31-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Jeep stuff I've learned - May 2019

So, yeah, wtf
I waited till the end f the month, so what.

Tell yourself that I just saved it until the last of the month it was such a good tip of the month.

ok.
I forgot.
not like it matters.

I can't say this is gonna be the best tip ever , this month but I think it might be useful.

I don't wanba start any

locking vs open lugs

I know some people are gonna misunderstand me here.
Plz note: I am not sayin' there isn't a viable need or time for locking wheel on to vehicles. They cost a boatload. I've known folks to have tire-n-wheels stolen before...

I have certainly used locking lugs over years, myself.
I'm not blasting them

'just seems tht as I have come to meet+ know more folks that wheel , it's griped about whenever we imagine cracking ,damaging or losing the keyed-socket for unfastening removing these secured tires from the jeep.
And , this'll always happens at that 'worst' time.

Then there's that whole process of finding your recovery license # tag , followed by calling 'em , spending time & yer $ to get replacement key sent to you sometime in the following day[s].

I just like simple old style, quality open lugs .

I think it'd be pretty tough to quickly steal a big-ass 34--42 inch MT off of some Jeep unless maybe it were parked in some obscured,not so visible place 4 a long-time or in a really in a shady location.
Just know tht I am not some h8r of locking lugs.

Heck, theres a chance that I'm full of shit,too; This is the internet.

So by all means, if you have to lock 'em; do it.

( edit: check out @ExWrench reply further down this thread ; he gives great suggestions on his way of handling service center ,torque-gun maniacs & tool dedicated to use for locking lug)

But,if you don't absolutely have to use lockable or splined lugnuts , maybe look going to standard or open lugs.

In my eye this is a safety & convenience to you / your occupants.

It's also a courtesy & respect for your fellow riders since you eliminate needing any additional , thin-walled or uniquely keyed socket that's required to remove your wheel for the inevitable .
It's also less things to carry , lose & much less mall-crawler for your , um, mall crawler...

Less things that can break,too .

{edited to include :

you can also avoid fretting about them purty closed-ends of your locking lugnuts getting scratched up by boulders if you don't got em is another good point, I think .

(yeah, I know some folks just run 4 lugnut + 1 lockable lug...that's the same in my book, so I include it in w spline-locked lugs) }

tip :

locking lug nuts are unnecessary if you don't need them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 08-01-2019 at 03:40 AM. Reason: revise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I use the gorilla locks. Figured with them when I finally break or lose the key, they'll be much harder to remove. I have removed the other style locks before - just use a socket that you can hammer over the lock and it's a piece of cake. Not so with these - the outer ring spins around the lug.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

I use locks, meth heads are crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Don't you cheap pricks own welders? Problem solved
j3ff3ry_j33p and rockystock like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #5 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 10:57 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
I use locks, meth heads are crazy
Yep - to skew the risk/reward balance, I run 23 Gorilla locking lug nuts (3 on spare).
It's not just about retention - I need to know whether or not anybody's fooked with my lugs.
This way, I never have any surprises - I can tell at a glance that everything's as I left it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Don't you cheap pricks own welders? Problem solved
Been there, done that, and consequently won't let McGard lug locks live on any of my vehicles

My Jeep came with 5 McGard lug locks (1 per wheel) and the key failed for no reason (no impact or abuse ).

Replaced with 23 Gorilla lug locks (bought a set of 24) and have never used a gun on 'em.
The key stays attached to this impact socket & only used on this ratchet, a torque wrench, or a cordless 1/4" impact driver.

By the way, that^ is my "lug wrench" which lives in the jack well w/ a scrap of closed-cell EVA foam jammed over to immobilize it.

For the few occasions I've taken my Jeep to a shop where they had to remove the wheels, I have monkey-friendly stunt doubles:

I wouldn't slow down a tech. with manually busting my lugs, and I wouldn't trust 'em to not "thunder gun" my key socket.

After those rare occasions, I swap the lug locks on and torque 'em to my satisfaction (85 lb-ft, lubed with anti-seize).
Also, since I run my lug threads "lubed", closed lug nuts are my preference so the threads remain immaculate
(well, except for a bit of nasty silver anti-seize )

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

. . . you can also avoid fretting about them purty closed-ends of your locking lugnuts getting scratched up by boulders if you don't got em is another good point, I think .
Cosmetic lug nut damage? - I'd never even thought of that - bravo!
If I managed to scrape the lug nuts on a rock, I believe I'd have much bigger immediate worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

'just seems tht as I have come know more folks that wheel , it is bemoaned whenever we imagine cracking ,damaging or losing the key- socket for unfastening these secured tars from the jeep.
Always happens that the worst time.

Then there's that whole process of finding your recovery license # tag , then calling 'em , spending time & yer $ to get replacement key sent to you sometime in the following day[s].
The last few years, I've been leaning toward contacting Gorilla and buying a new set of 24 lug locks and 2-3 keys at the same time.
It seems easier than figuring out the secret handshake to order a replacement key through them.
Most likely, I'll get on that . . . . . . right after my current lock key breaks and I'm completely fawked
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #6 of 12 Old 06-02-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Yep - to skew the risk/reward balance, I run 23 Gorilla locking lug nuts (3 on spare).
It's not just about retention - I need to know whether or not anybody's fooked with my lugs.
This way, I never have any surprises - I can tell at a glance that everything's as I left it.

Been there, done that, and consequently won't let McGard lug locks live on any of my vehicles

My Jeep came with 5 McGard lug locks (1 per wheel) and the key failed for no reason (no impact or abuse ).

Replaced with 23 Gorilla lug locks (bought a set of 24) and have never used a gun on 'em.
The key stays attached to this impact socket & only used on this ratchet, a torque wrench, or a cordless 1/4" impact driver.

By the way, that^ is my "lug wrench" which lives in the jack well w/ a scrap of closed-cell EVA foam jammed over to immobilize it.

For the few occasions I've taken my Jeep to a shop where they had to remove the wheels, I have monkey-friendly stunt doubles:

I wouldn't slow down a tech. with manually busting my lugs, and I wouldn't trust 'em to not "thunder gun" my key socket.

After those rare occasions, I swap the lug locks on and torque 'em to my satisfaction (85 lb-ft, lubed with anti-seize).
Also, since I run my lug threads "lubed", closed lug nuts are my preference so the threads remain immaculate
(well, except for a bit of nasty silver anti-seize )

Cosmetic lug nut damage? - I'd never even thought of that - bravo!
If I managed to scrape the lug nuts on a rock, I believe I'd have much bigger immediate worries

The last few years, I've been leaning toward contacting Gorilla and buying a new set of 24 lug locks and 2-3 keys at the same time.
It seems easier than figuring out the secret handshake to order a replacement key through them.
Most likely, I'll get on that . . . . . . right after my current lock key breaks and I'm completely fawked

Well @ExWrench , I hope ya never have to contend w/ the secret handshake to get what's yours from Gorilla , if/when need should arise.

I only mentioned this & changed lugs myself * when I had seen
those failures in relative short span. It may have been coincidental but still, to me while now trailering the station wagon I treat like it's a 1off race buggy , it was especially considered after Crawling for Reid this year once I grinded the inner wheel & those gorilla lugs to point I thought splines wouldn't go on a few. The open lugs are same acorn type but are flush w top of studs, which I like.

The rock was jutted out at alex of skinny pedal top of obstacle...my tail whipped around & the outcrop speared direct into middle of wheel .
If I'd had any of those oem,plastic chromed cosmetic lugnut things on , they'd have been mangled & the other Moms at the mall would look down on me as they leave Nordstrom ....
The gorilla nuts handled it ,actually well, just requiring some slight spline groove straightening with screwdriver .

Yep, y'all taught me long ago of benefits to antiseizing the lugs( lightly)...

But , @Cod is right about just welding to a stubborn or damaged one. I'm sure they aren't potmetal ...it's the thin, easy to wear then a slight misalign will break the splined tool.

(* It is other case of like minds, I see; @ ExWrench , I too use that exact breaker-,bar with my 19mm impact socket holding - indefinitely - that Gorilla socket & both in same location always. I no longer even have to use torque wrench , I am so used to just torquing to 100ft lbs on theJK studs , I know what it feels like .I can get it within 2ft lbs but usually right on if newer studs... I thought it amusing that your tools for wheel removal/install are the exact that I carryy.

)

I just liked taking the splined socket no longer in my tools & not carrying it any more. If I had TRs, Bwarrion ,Method, or my dream BLs made outta my eternally used old Level8 StrikeV by OMF , I'd probably think about returning to locking one lug, but it's a slim chance. I never really leave my jk for anytime out of garage or my sight, so I guess I have a little leeway.

ExWrench likes this.

post #7 of 12 Old 06-03-2019, 06:43 AM
Rock God

Make friends with your local tire shop and they will lend you theirs and hell may even give you one.

I find them cheap insurance. Tires and wheels are an investment. I see it like buying a rent house, do you put locks on those doors. Sure I don't give a shit about my tenants items, but I do care about the fridge, stove, microwave, COPPER WIRE. But, as I'm sure we have stated before, locks are only for honest people. If someone wants your shit, they are going to work hard, then harder, than hardest to get that "free" prize.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #8 of 12 Old 06-05-2019, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Make friends with your local tire shop and they will lend you theirs and hell may even give you one.

I find them cheap insurance. Tires and wheels are an investment. I see it like buying a rent house, do you put locks on those doors. Sure I don't give a shit about my tenants items, but I do care about the fridge, stove, microwave, COPPER WIRE. But, as I'm sure we have stated before, locks are only for honest people. If someone wants your shit, they are going to work hard, then harder, than hardest to get that "free" prize.

yeah, i drove mine -when she was a hot,new,just leveled&35'ed- all the way from Nashville, across Arkansas thru Ozarks, for work in N.W.Ark & felt i had been wise to have locking lugs .
i have no need for them now that she never hits road except to get petrol up at the marina.

like so many jeep things, it depends upon your usage & is subjective,tbs...

post #9 of 12 Old 06-05-2019, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

So,
due to the rather one-sided nature of May's post, here's a bonus " stuff that stupid jeffjeep guy has learned" ,wheel-related tip add on that is more dual-usage friendly :

Back when I was DDing this JKU ,& as my offroading became more 'spirited' , I grew so tired of having to return to DiscountTire or repair the inevitable loss of the the stick-on Wheel Balancing Weights myself , that I had to do something .

It helped a little to SimpleGreen inner surface, prior to the installer sticking them on , askin them to use alcohol or acetone to clean the target inner wheel surface so adhesion would remain over time...

But, even then the things would still fly off someplace down the road,after inevitably being slathered in all manner of noxious,Southern mud,clay,scum, livestock feces & other sundry, organic gunk. If you're drivin down the road at 80mph, this makes a difference. At 2mph, it doesn't even factor-in.

So, I started covering the weights with liquid-tape or flex-seal. I never had another fall off from environmental de-adhesion of the weight again. I have scraped them off with rock but not just by them becoming ineffective . The tire shop guys can remove just as easily, I have confirmed.

(you cannot see the black-covered weights from within the spokes ,ya know... from outside viewpoint. YMMV but thought this'd make up for my May posts original , rather 1 sided, tip of month .

damn mall-crawlers...

)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 06-05-2019 at 03:24 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-26-2019, 08:09 AM
Wheeler

I use black duct tape (having black wheels, itís really inconspicuous). Clean the surface first, then just cover the stick on wheel weights. Have not lost one yet and it does not add any weight to mess up the balance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-31-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud_pipes View Post
I use black duct tape (having black wheels, itís really inconspicuous). Clean the surface first, then just cover the stick on wheel weights. Have not lost one yet and it does not add any weight to mess up the balance.

I like this idea a little better.
I say that having experienced the incredible adhesive prowess of Gorilla HD - Wide Black Tape ( Gorilla Glue brand) recently. It is also waterproof and weather resistant. Plus, I heated it w/ a heatgun & it more or less vacuum-mold-like-seals and tightens the tape to where it'd cover-seal the weights perfectly but w/ a slightly cleaner application.
Good idea, man!

loud_pipes likes this.

post #12 of 12 Old 08-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Wheeler

Good idea with the heat gun. I never thought of that but it would really put nice fit and finish on the tape!

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode