Carrying a Canoe - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-18-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Carrying a Canoe

Looking to get a rack for my 2016 JKU. I want to carry my canoe. My canoe is 17’ but not very heavy. It’s a Kevlar Ultra Light and only weighs 42 pounds. I was looking at the Rhino Rack SG that fits on the drip rails. My only concern is the manufacturer says they can only be spread 31”. I would like a wider spread and there is enough drip rail that I could go a little wider. Anyone using these bars? I really don’t want a system that mounts to the body. Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
canoe hauling

If I don't load a canoe /kayaks inside my 17' open Lund for transport, then I take the winter ski racks off my "drip rail" Yakima load bars and use them. I have been thinking of adding a slightly oversized piece of PVC pipe over the rear Yakima pipe, so that the canoe will roll onto the top when loading and unloading. I am working where to drill holes so that, with a pin, the PVC would be stopped from rotating.

At the gym two days ago, I saw two other JKUs with roof load bars which didn't use the drip rails - possibly bolting through the roof to the roll bar? - Not unlike the AEV roof rack? (One of the JKUs had a Yeti fly rod rack; the other, a kayak rack.)
post #3 of 3 Old 05-25-2019, 05:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

I used to tote my canoe all the time.

I used a simple cheap front round lightbar like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-...teway&sr=8-153

and in the rear one of these assembled to be tall instead of long:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1|

This setup worked really well until the lightbar noise caused me to ditch the light and the mount. It was pretty great in that it kept the canoe off the Jeep entirely and worked with the hard top and the soft top either up or down.

Pro-tip: an anti rattle hitch gizmo worked to help keep the rear mount in place and keep it from making racket. Without it, the top of the mast wanted to swing back and forth several inches due to the slop in the receiver and the distance from that point.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode