Help needed - rear axle stuck, won’t come out - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Help needed - rear axle stuck, won’t come out

Hey there! I need some help/advice. I’m trying to do a rear axle seal replacement on my 2013 Jeep JK Sahara Unlimited but I can’t get the driver side axle out. I’ve got the ABS off, the parking brake all off, and the diff open. I have also tried put the old brake rotor on backwards and wailing it with a hammer and it doesn’t budge. Even a slide hammer didn’t work. It feels like it’s locked into place near the brake end. I have tried to do some research and thought it might be a C-clip axle but can’t see any and couldn’t find a way to remove the pin in the diff. Any helpful advice would be great or some insight. Thank you. Going to try the rear passenger side axle on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 05:45 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugsandjugs View Post
Hey there! I need some help/advice. I’m trying to do a rear axle seal replacement on my 2013 Jeep JK Sahara Unlimited but I can’t get the driver side axle out. I’ve got the ABS off, the parking brake all off, and the diff open. I have also tried put the old brake rotor on backwards and wailing it with a hammer and it doesn’t budge. Even a slide hammer didn’t work. It feels like it’s locked into place near the brake end. I have tried to do some research and thought it might be a C-clip axle but can’t see any and couldn’t find a way to remove the pin in the diff. Any helpful advice would be great or some insight. Thank you. Going to try the rear passenger side axle on Friday.
Did you remove the nuts from the 4 studs holding the wheel bearing retainer plate in place?

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-15-2019 at 05:47 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Yup, I removed the 4 nuts from the back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

You may have a bent axle tube. Are you using a slide hammer with the axle flange attachment?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 02:41 AM
Granite Guru

Both sides stuck?

Saw one time an axle wouldn't come out because the axle breather was threaded in too far, had worn a groove and was preventing axle from moving out.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Any update ,OP?

I will go with slightly twisted splines at carrier-end or bent shaft.
Shall we set small wagers on if this guy will come update his thread or y'all think he is gone way before this morning....

I ,for one , will truly miss him if he's gone. Doesn't it seem like only a week ago that we had just witnessed the blossoming of friendship w/ @lugsandjugs ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 11:17 PM
Rock God

I'll go with the seal being stuck in the outer end of the housing.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2019, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I'll go with the seal being stuck in the outer end of the housing.
I've seen that more than the twisted splines but
what got me thinking further-on down the possible causes chain was him saying he'd flipped rotor around & banged on it w/ the BFH. Usually that'll clear those wedged or seized seals when I've seen similar occur.
Maybe OP didn't eat any HGH or spinach or Wheaties that morning ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode