Advice Needed - Alternator & Battery Upgrades - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Dutch577
  • 1 Post By coilrod
  • 1 Post By KnightJK
  • 1 Post By bignblack
  • 1 Post By ExWrench
  • 1 Post By mmilburn
  • 1 Post By Dutch577

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-13-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Advice Needed - Alternator & Battery Upgrades

I need some recommendations on a "higher amperage than stock" alternator and "higher CCA than stock" battery for my JK. Any suggestions would be great.

The Jeep is driving okay, but my battery is 3.5 years old. I put a new rope on my winch not too long ago and decided to pretension the line today. Using my tuner to spin the engine RPM's to 1,600, under light load of the foot brake, the moment I hit tension, the voltage dropped from 14.5 to 11.7... instantly. After only 11 seconds of winching, the voltage dropped all the way to 10.0. The battery light turned on and the computer started throwing codes like Oprah giving away cars.

I'm hoping the winch isn't bad. I'm going to try the battery and alternator first, since they should really be upgraded anyway. I am hoping I can get a good lead from folks that have already done the work.

Currently, I am looking at the Optima Yellow Top (DH6?) battery and a Mean Green 200 amp alternator. The Yellow Top is pretty well known... but feedback from users is welcome. Also anyone actually use a Mean Green alternator? Does it actually work as advertised? I don't mind spending the money if it supports 200 amps.

Thanks in advance!
Spaz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

L/¯¯\\_ |"/¯¯¯(ºlllllllº)

_(¯))==))..(¯))==))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 04:10 AM
Wheeler

I haven't gotten to putting a winch on my jeep yet but I've had a few UTVs and have done the same thing with them. I've gone with a dual battery setup with an isolator between them. Throw in a bigger alternator and the second battery is always a deep cycle.

Before I started setting it up this way, any heavy winch use would do what happened to you. I never had any battery issues after a dual battery setup.
marcspaz likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 06:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

Someone around my part of the world took his alternator to a local shop for a re-wire. It worked.
Genesis off road https://www.genesisoffroad.com/
and (from another, gayer, forum) i
found 11548-270XP High Amp Alternator for a 2013-2017 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L
marcspaz likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 07:23 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've had an optima Yellow top in mine for about 4 years with the stock rated Alt. I have a Warn Zeon 10s winch and its performed very well. I did however recently blow the alternator and deeply discharge the battery right before loading onto the trailer at AOP last year (not sure which occurred first, but we were on a night ride for a few hours the night before with light bar and rock lights on). That was fun dragging the jeep up onto the trailer.

I replaced the alternator with a factory spec one, and revived my yellow top. It's done fine holding a charge and turned right over after sitting for three months so I'm pleased.

That said, my buddy swears by Deka batteries. Maybe give them a look too. Him and his dad have them in their boats, RV, Jeeps, etc. they've never let them down.

Automotive and Special Fits
marcspaz likes this.

Chase Weston
post #5 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 AM
Wheeler

this one isn't as pretty as the genesis system, but you can make it as nice, but its a good product for way less. it does also have a boost function.

marcspaz likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I appreciate the feedback. I would love to get two batteries under the hood. I have to see it I can make some room somewhere. That Genesis Offroad kit looks great, but the price is ridiculous. I may try to mimic it, though.

_(¯))==))..(¯))==))
post #7 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I have a 160amp Mopar in my '11 as my oem alt; when it is time, I will likely go with the same or a Mean Green alternator like is in my XJ.

both Jeeps run what I guess are the last of the old Sears DiaHard Platinum batteries. I will probably go with Odyssey when they need replacing.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-14-2019 at 09:29 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Random Dude

Deka or Odyssey are top-notch batts (though spendy).

Optima is hit-or-miss ever since they moved production to Mexico - cannot recommend.

Electric winches can draw up to 300 or 400+ amps. No practical alternator will keep up with that, hence the appeal of dual batts to increase duty cycle. Your quick draw-down to 10V indicates a weak battery.

Note: my hydraulic winch draws 2A at full load
marcspaz likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #9 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

@ExWrench and @j3ff3ry_j33p I appreciate the battery info. I'll check out the Deka and Odyssey batteries.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I appreciate it.

_(¯))==))..(¯))==))
post #10 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 05:52 AM
Rock God

People may laugh I was in a pinch when the battery for my truck went tits up. I wanted an AGM for it and being a ford the damn thing has reverse posts on it. I found an AGM at Sams Club and put it in. My truck does not get driven much. It will set for months at a time with out even being touched and it has started every time I put the key in and turned it. Just to clarify how little the truck is driven I had it inspected in November and have only put 150 miles on it since inspection and it is about 20 miles from the inspection place I use to the house. Just food for thought the brand is Energizer.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 06:22 AM
Wheeler

I am a big fan of Odyssey and I currently have a Napa Legend AGM that is said to be made on the Deka line.

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #12 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 AM
Wheeler

AGM Battery Technology | Hendon Publishing
cody48 likes this.

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #13 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilburn View Post
I am a big fan of Odyssey and I currently have a Napa Legend AGM that is said to be made on the Deka line.
In the past 10 years, every battery that has needed replacing in a vehicle or toy has been replaced by an odyssey. Awesome batteries.
marcspaz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode